Airbrushing with a Scuba Tank

Jasonb13

Hi there,

As well getting back into modelling, I'm a qualified Scuba Diver.

While looking into what's involved with Airbrushes, the thought occured to me that I have my own air source, a 232Ltr Cylinder. I can get air fills for €7 nearby.

So, is airbrushing with a scuba tank possible at all? I'm guessing I'd need a first stage regulator ( which I have ) and a hose, along with some way of regulating the pressure etc., and a connector to connect it to an airbrush? Is all this possible / advisable?

Thanks...

J.

Thanks for your reply!

I realise that it might not be the best way of doing it, but considering I already have a tank, access to refills, and a first stage regulator, it might be the easiest way for me to get into airbrushing?

J.

It will work just fine.

Just one think to keep in mind though, most airbrushes & hoses are not rated for much past 50/60psi - so be careful dialing or get a pressure limiter / overpressure valve.

As long as you get a regulator,I used a CO2 tank for many years with no problems.

Unfortunately the gentleman that keep my tank filled for free moved jobs and CO2 was proving expensive.

You can spray anything as long as you get the pressure and nozzle is suitable for the media.

i remember Verlinden once saying the airbrush he used which i believe was marketed by Xacto in the states and Humbrol

in the UK was that smooth he was sure it would spray sand.