Next Airfix 1/24 biggie?

plastic

surely its got to be a C-5 Galaxy hasn't it???

Don't! I think I'll be a dead man when my wife sees the size of the 1/72 C-5A I plan to build someday!

P-61 or B-26K would be lovely, and an A-37 too niche, plus I suppose it needs some RAF/RN roundels, so I guess it'd have to be an F6F or an F4U. Though an F7F, F8F or Sea Hornet would be delicious - I rather think if something's going to be this big and you're going to work on it for this long, it really ought to be a looker! Sea Fury would also be rather nice, though they'd have to up their standards from their 1/72 effort!

Don't! I think I'll be a dead man when my wife sees the size of the 1/72 C-5A I plan to build someday!

P-61 or B-26K would be lovely, and an A-37 too niche, plus I suppose it needs some RAF/RN roundels, so I guess it'd have to be an F6F or an F4U. Though an F7F, F8F or Sea Hornet would be delicious - I rather think if something's going to be this big and you're going to work on it for this long, it really ought to be a looker! Sea Fury would also be rather nice, though they'd have to up their standards from their 1/72 effort!

on a more realistic note, i second the P-61, although wingscale is doing a 32nd one i still think it is an underdone aircraft, i also wouldn't mind a p38 lightning or maybe an A-10 thunderbolt II

From a purely personal point of view, I'd love it to be a Handley Page Hampden.

I know it's not going to happen, though.

• 4 months later...

Awww, come on, guys and gals - STOP confusing the guys at Airfix and let them release the Bomber version that I am waiting for FIRST. PLEASE??????

After that they could really make my day by doing a Tigercat, Beaufighter or Blenheim (in any order they like!). Oh damn... it's impossible to resist this thread, isn't it? Now I'M guilty of adding confusion... :doh:

Kev

If I had to actually place money on it (apart from being a mod of the current Mossie), I would genuinely put money on it being a BAe Hawk :)

Edited for awful grammar. GRAMMAR HAMMER

Edited by F111Fan

A 1/24 BAe Hawk would be a good idea - small, cheaper, LOTS of camo / decal schemes.

And I can see the aftermarket people doing the more advanced / upgraded versions too.

Only problem is, Revell did a nice, new, cheap, 1/32 Hawk, which will have taken a big chunk out of the market for a 1/24 kit.

A 1/24 kit GOT to do very well, as one failure, and I think they may not make any more.

So, either a WW2 prop, or maybe one of the older / simpler jets ?

Hunter - used by the RAF, lots of schemes / versions.

P-47 - would go well with their existing P-51 and other single-prop WW2 planes.

F-5E - lots of schemes / versions, but not used by the RAF.

None of the UK helos are famous enough.

Sure, *we* know what a Scout / Wasp is, but the vast majority doesn't.

All the bigger bombers wouldn't sell enough.

Forget larger jets too, and anything more than a twin-prop.

The new at the end of WW2 / Korean War planes are not famous enough / not known enough even in here.

Basically, as Airfix is a British company, or at least is seen as such by the average person, it got to be RAF or RN, or at least, close enough, like the USAAF / USN / USMC.

If it sells really well, then maybe, just maybe, Airfix could take a change on a smaller, less-famous plane.

Regards,

Gerard

I've been playing about with my Airfix Mossie, mainly working on the cockpit, (all those little round attachment pads!!), and, as one does, was musing about what Airfix could produce for there next 1/24 biggie.

After much musing, punching out little circles of card,---losing same to the carpet---punching out more little circles of etc, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the perfect answer would be a--wait for it--- a Beaufighter!!

After all, they are of similar size and both have twin engines plus, given the Beau's engines are less detailed the greatest amount of detail would be the fuselage interior, something that is sadly missing from Revells venerable old 1/32 issue.

Any thoughts?

Mosquito BIV

Cheers

Terry McGrady

How many people here bought the Mossie?

I've bought 2 so far and am in need of at least one more to go with the A2zee conversions.

Modern:

1. Buccaneer (S2 primary, S1 as re-release)
  2. Typhoon (F.2/FGR.4 primary, T.1/T.3 as re-release)
  3. Jaguar (GR.1/GR.3 as primary, T.2/T.4 as re-release)
  4. Hawk (T.1/T/1A as primary, T.2 as re-release)
  5. Lightning (F.3/F.6 as primary, T.4/T.5 as re-release)

Historic:

1. Sea Hawk
  2. Sea Fury (FB.11 primary, T.20 re-release)
  3. Griffon Spitfire (Seafire as re-release)
  4. Firefly
  5. Harvard

Well, I've only ever had two 1:24th scale kits; the Airfix Spitfire 1a which my dad made for me for my 6th birthday in the early '70s and the Airfix 109e which I won as a prize for a picture of the Bismark I sent into Battle & Action comic! The following waffle is just my opinion/analysis of the current modelling market and Airfixs (Hornby) aspirations...

I think it's clear that the modelling market is split into 2 sections; the kids/occasional modeller and the hobby modeller.

In my opinion 1:72 will remain the scale for kids/occasional mdeller. This will focus on historic aircraft and whatever current airforces around the world are flying. These are the bankers for Airfix and ensure that they can get their kits into toy shops. I think we should expect to see regular re-issues of old kits and updated new versions of old but popular toolings (i.e. new Gnat, zero etc). Personally, this is the scale I prefer, so I'm happy to continue building the new releases, but I sure would like some new Lightnings, Jaguars and Migs.

The 1:48 & 1:32 scale will provide for the hobby modeller and these kits will be the ones that everyone on Britmodeller will look forward to. It's clear that of all the recent Airfix releases the most eagerly anticipated have been the aircraft from the 1960s and '70s, Lightnings, Vixens, Buccaneers, TSR2, Valient etc. Therefore I expect a flurry of heavy metal in these scales over the next few years. It's also clear that Airfix has set itself the task of having at least one model of every Spitfire variant ever made, so expect the gaps to be filled over the next few years.

So, coming back to the subject, what next for 1:24th? In my opinion, this scale is a vanity scale for Airfix to show off what it can do. I doubt that Airfix make any significant profit from these models (when compared to a 1:72nd scale Spitfire), which is both good news and bad news for us modellers. The bad news is that we can't expect a 1:24th biggie too often, maybe one every 4 years or so. The good news, is that these models are not expected to be big sellers, therefore this frees Airfix from the obvious choices (spitfires, me109s etc) and constraints (not necessarily WW2 and not necessarily single engined).

So in summary, Airfix will continue to make 1:24th of whatever subjects they feel like. As they are vanity projects, I think we are just as likely to see another big twin engined aircraft as we are to see something smaller like a Tiger Moth!

How many people here bought the Mossie?

I have one, also (for full market context) the 1/24 Spit I, Vb, Hurri, and a VFS 1/24 P-47 (which is not _that_ much smaller than the Mossie)

The only two kits I've paid anything like that money for are the Mosquito and the Tamiya 1/32 Spit IX.

Edited by Work In Progress

Interesting answers in this thread. Everything from the obvious (perhaps too obvious) to the "I really wish" category. One type has not been mentioned so far, to my surprise. If Airfix were to do their homework, and from recent releases they certainly appear to be, there is one type which if they followed the full sized manufacturers way of building the real thing and broke the moulds down to basic parts as per the full sized aircraft then I think that we could be in for a bit of a pleasant surprise. After all, nobody expected Monogram to bring out a 1.72nd B-36 all those years ago and as the Airfix 1.24th range appear cover the most popular and most requested types it seems only logical that their next 24th kit which would appeal to both sides of the Atlantic must be.............................................

.......The Canberra

Thats my choice and I'll buy a couple even if I don't build them

DR

I stand by my earlier assertion that the next Airfix biggie should be a long-nosed Merlin Spitfire (VII/VIII/IX/XVI). After all, given the price of the Mosquito, an Airfix Spit IX should hit the market at a lower retail than the Tamiya 1/32 kits, and they seem to be reasonably popular. Plus which, Spitfires always sell.

Mentions of a long nosed Spitfire! a few weeks ago ( before I joined the forum) I thought of the ultimate Spit kit I'd like to see marketed, i.e. one in 1:24 scale with parts for any mark from I to 24!!!

On top of this someone mentioned Meteor and why not! It's one of Britain's aviation export succeses and given the interest shown to the Wingscale 1:32 F4 ( I'm still waiting........patiently) not a bad idea,tooled in such a way to produce any mark, it could make a viable proposition.

Failing all the above I'm sure the Hunter in 1:24 would give a good return.