Next Airfix 1/24 biggie?

plastic

Airfix? i've just had a thought............

English Electric Lightning of any Mark

Edited by rob

From a purely sales perspective what about a Phantom? Probably F4J to cover UK and US interest.

Don't think there is an F4 in 1/24?

Iain could do the conversion set to the FGR version after finishing his Trumpy Lightning corrections !!! :D

I would think that 1:24 would be ideal for a carefully chosen biplane ie single bay and with at least one wing positivly attached to the fuselage. The rigging at this scale would be engineered into the kit from the start, even getting RAF wires correct. So it has to be a Gladiator, or a Fury, or a Hart, or a Heinkel 51.......

Hi

my vote a whirlwind fighter,

a nice size in 1:24 and not to big, and not much competition out there,as the subject has had little coverage apart from airfix and limited run kits.

cheers

Jerry

My money's on a two-stage Mossie. As Graham says, it wouldn't be a completely new tool, which must put it high up the list - the development cost would be so much lower. The "cheap" option would be simply to provide the new nacelles, but they might think about including the new canopy and other bits for a pure bomber version, which would significantly add to the mix-and-match options available from the two kits.

Two stage PR/Bomber Mosquito would virtually be a new kit - I'm not a Mossie expert but I would have thought the changes would be at least - both engines, both nacelles, canopy,cockpit, nose, and bomb bay.... that's pretty much everything apart from the undercarriage, tail, and wings, though possibly the bulk of the engines could be modifed and re-used......

Edited by cynicaljohnny

I think its likely Airfix have a bomber version of the Mosquito in the pipeline - there are parts in the existing kit that suggest it, and even the pricetags at my LMS describe the kit as 'version 1', so the retailers must know something. Some sort of update / repackage is inevitable given the investment they've made and their history of chucking an extra sprue into an old kit to breathe a bit more life into it, but given the pricetag I'm not sure I'd buy one (the FB kit is the more interesting aircraft to me).

IIRC, when the Mossie was being worked up, Airfix said it was designed to facilitate future versions (including bomber and two-stage), but they were only actually tooling the version that was released. If sales were good, other versions would follow in due course.

I think a 1/24 Typhoon F.2/FGR.4 would be the obvious move for Airfix. It could also then be remixed as a T.1/T.3.

I to agree the WW2 Typhoon would be a good 1/24 scale subject, if Airfix were to produce a kit this would be it

There are a couple of Griffin Spitfires coming from Vintage fighter series, and there have been rumours that Trumpeter's Typhoon is either going to be 1/32 or 1/24 (as well as Vintage Fighter Series Typhoon rumours a year or so back), so I'd go for a 1/24 Tempest V.

Oh, a PR Spitfire (Merlin, very early preferably- not too hard to convert from the existing Mk.I, but would save all the scribing, and vac-forming a blistered canopy) or Mosquito PR.I would be nice...