Next Airfix 1/24 biggie?

plastic

Am sure I read somewhere in a recent feature in one of the mags that they were working on a Gladiator? would be great to see

For me i would happily take an F6F, P40, Skyraider or DH Hornet :frantic:

And to fill the west wing when I get my mansion, a Ju188, Tigercat and Blenheim

I reckon it will be a hawker typhoon, like the mosquito it was on the cards years ago but never got completed, A friend of mine used to work for airfix in the seventies, can you believe they had an army of them building kits for people who couldn't do them!

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

F6F is an obvious choice. It would sell by the bucketload. USN, Marines, Fleet Air Arm, Aeronavale and Argentina? and Uruguay?

Lots of options just think of all the options - endless!

MH

"Think Big!" laugh.gif

1/24 Antonov An-225!

In 1/24 it would have a wingspan of 3.7m and a length of 3.5m....... which would require 13 square metres of shelf space :evil_laugh:

They can also include a 1/24 Buran in the kit as well so we can piggy back it on the 225 ;)

My money is, and always has been, on the Spitfire IX, since, with only a few extra pieces in the mould, as Tamiya have done in 1/32, it can be turned into the VII, VIII & XVI, giving a very decent return for the investment, and, however much you might like to dream, Hornby are in this lark to make money.

Edgar

My money is, and always has been, on the Spitfire IX, since, with only a few extra pieces in the mould, as Tamiya have done in 1/32, it can be turned into the VII, VIII & XVI, giving a very decent return for the investment, and, however much you might like to dream, Hornby are in this lark to make money.

Edgar

Speaking from the head as well as the heart, I think a Spitfire IX is the most likely candidate. Of course, Airfix and Hornby do like to surprise us, so you never know!

It does seem that the Mosquito bomber variant is the most likely - and to my eyes a more attracaive Mosquito than the FB variant.

A Spitfire IX seems a fair commercial prospect, though I would dearly love to see a Hawker Fury in that scale. Possibly the only other British machine which I think would have a chance of being a commercial success (in time) elsewhere around the world. Such beautiful lines. And what a superb machine to put alongside their Hurricane.

(Yes I know Trumpeter also did the Hurricane - though I have no idea how good that one is; have never seen one complete.)

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

Looking at it on purely commercial grounds rather than "wish list", if sales of the Mossie have justified the investment in any further 1/24 kits then I would expect a further Mossie variant and a later model Spitfire, probably IX/XVI. If they were to be more adventurous then a strong case could be made for an early-model F4U Corsair (F4U-1, 1a, 1d) . It is a very widely used and famous aeroplane with a strong following, plenty of examples on the airshow circuit, looks very different from other types, lots of interesting marking options including Fleet Air Arm, and of course the American market would love it. It must be the biggest-name WW2 fighter not to have been kitted in 1/24.

I would love a DH Vampire 5/9 or T11

If tooled correctly, they should be able to offer both. Vampire would be a nice size in 24th. DH sold them quite widely too, so they should have international appeal. Plus which, having spent a number of years in Hatfield, within spitting distance of the old DH site, I'll vote for anything de Havilland.

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Looking at it on purely commercial grounds rather than "wish list", if sales of the Mossie have justified the investment in any further 1/24 kits then I would expect a further Mossie variant and a later model Spitfire, probably IX/XVI. If they were to be more adventurous then a strong case could be made for an early-model F4U Corsair (F4U-1, 1a, 1d) . It is a very widely used and famous aeroplane with a strong following, plenty of examples on the airshow circuit, looks very different from other types, lots of interesting marking options including Fleet Air Arm, and of course the American market would love it. It must be the biggest-name WW2 fighter not to have been kitted in 1/24.

I'm not so sure about the Spitfire, but I can certainly see a bomber Mosquito coming soon. :please:

I think that the Corsair would be a very sensible choice for the next 'new' mould; for UK modellers we have the Fleet Air Arm aircraft, and for the bigger market there are the USN versions.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, my first post on this forum, and I particularly joined to post on this thread.

1/24 kits are my particular passion, and I await their arrival with great excitement. Don't worry about the room, just enjoy them! If nothing else, there's always the ceiling!

If airfix release a bomber version of the mosquito, then that would be great, especially if it's a mark that could be finished in a USAAF scheme (IMHO). However, I would not regard that as the next big release, just a very worthwile additional variant.

Personally I think (and hope!) that airfix should really go for it, and set the pace on their next big release I would love to see a lancaster with, in the box, Eduard providing etch, Aires or Paragon resin cockpit, merlins, whitemetal undercarriage, resin wheels (not rubber!) and some Zots style sexy Lanc decals.

I doubt very much they'd have trouble selling them. Hornby will know from their railway interests that many people spend a lot and have the room for O gauge and larger railways, so why not aircraft? And in the US and Japan markets particularly I'm sure a 1/24 Lanc would go down very well. They could follow this with a B-17....

I would also very much like airfix to issue updates, either directly or via a third party to bring the older 1/24 kits up to scratch.

For example, the Bf109E is the only E as far as I'm aware in 1/24 and I'm sure a new detail set including revised and new engine, exhausts, ammo boxes, engine cowl (that fits!), wheel wells, cockpit, undercarriage and wheels would sell very well. I keep noticing threads on the web and build articles asking for the just such things, and I for one would have several! They could even do a radio like you can now get for the 1/32 Eduard kit. The airfix E should at least be up to that standard, and the same principle applied to all the older existing range.

Using existing kits, then later Mks of a Spitfire and Hurricane would make sense, as would a Tempest and a Mk III Mustang. I wonder why no-one has produced a 262 or Corsair, the latter especially should have very widespread appeal. VFS has produced a P40, P-47 and have a Spitfire XIV in the pipeline, likewise Bandai has produced a Zero and a Shinden as well.

If we are thinking jets, then a Harrier GR7 or 9 would make sense, as would a BAE Hawk, but Revell might have spoiled the market with their 1/32 version. Failing a Hawk, then the Gnat is a possibility.

Edited by Mike W

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My flat's to small for that, unless one wingtip can stick out through a window... :wicked:

It makes for quite a big 1:500 diecast as it is. The Herpa 225s are nice. Anyway, back to the subject. Not sure what I'd like to see in 1/24, but a Sea Fury or Sea Hornet would be nice, as suggested above. They would probably be almost as charismatic as the real ones.

Joseph