Next Airfix 1/24 biggie?

plastic

I've been playing about with my Airfix Mossie, mainly working on the cockpit, (all those little round attachment pads!!), and, as one does, was musing about what Airfix could produce for there next 1/24 biggie.

After much musing, punching out little circles of card,---losing same to the carpet---punching out more little circles of etc, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the perfect answer would be a--wait for it--- a Beaufighter!!

After all, they are of similar size and both have twin engines plus, given the Beau's engines are less detailed the greatest amount of detail would be the fuselage interior, something that is sadly missing from Revells venerable old 1/32 issue.

Any thoughts?

hi all i have been told from a very reliable source who runs a model shop it will be a late bomber mossie with two stage engines they used the one at the mossie museum as a pattern

simon

Forget what's worthy, forget enthusiast interest, forget personal preference (Halifax, Harvard and Hurricane, just in case you were wondering). Think marketing. Especially UK market. Airfix are concentrating on proven market interest, or British, or preferably both. There is only a handful of British types that are household names and proven safe bets, and they've done four of them. What's left is the Lancaster, and perhaps the Camel. Doing the Lancaster would be an enormous risk, and so (I suspect) would be any biplane.

So looking outside British subjects, they've done the obvious German ones except the Me262. The obvious US one is the P-47. The Zero is probably the only one from outside the big-three nations, and the Japanese have covered that.

The next release (if there is one) being a 2-stage Mossie is a nice warm idea, but not really a completely new tool. My money would be on a nice safe Griffon Spitfire, but (from the nice warm nostalgic feeling of Airfix leading the world) I'd really like to see them attempt the Lanc. I suspect it would be the Me262.

Bluebird K7.

BluebirdatrestConistonJan1967.jpg

I'd probably go and fit micro RC in that :rolleyes:

Reckon an FAA Corsair IV/USN F4U-1D(the FAAM's :thumbsup: )would be really nice.

That surely would have a good pull on both sides of the Pond.

If they want to go and measure up a very original one,they've only got to pop down to Yeovilton.

Mark

Graham's right, but most suggestions are stuck in WWII. It's got to have mass appeal and not just enthusiast votes, so I believe someone needs to look postwar. Be honest how many' MIG MAD MARINE' F-86's and 'Sundowners' F-4's would they shift?

Trevor

btw if it were up to me Meteor F.4 or 8 or Tornado (not grey!)

I'd vote for a BF110 or Typhoon (WW2) but almost certainly a two stage bomber Mossie must be on the cards

But even thinking about a Lanc brings me out in a sweat... They'd have to sell it as a partwork!

I've been playing about with my Airfix Mossie, mainly working on the cockpit, (all those little round attachment pads!!), and, as one does, was musing about what Airfix could produce for there next 1/24 biggie.

After much musing, punching out little circles of card,---losing same to the carpet---punching out more little circles of etc, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the perfect answer would be a--wait for it--- a Beaufighter!!

After all, they are of similar size and both have twin engines plus, given the Beau's engines are less detailed the greatest amount of detail would be the fuselage interior, something that is sadly missing from Revells venerable old 1/32 issue.

Any thoughts?

My money's on a two-stage Mossie. As Graham says, it wouldn't be a completely new tool, which must put it high up the list - the development cost would be so much lower. The "cheap" option would be simply to provide the new nacelles, but they might think about including the new canopy and other bits for a pure bomber version, which would significantly add to the mix-and-match options available from the two kits.

A Corsair makes for interesting speculation.

KD 431 down at Yeovilton is arguably one of the most authentically-restored Corsairs anywhere (although its a Goodyear FG-1A), and the Folks at Vintage Fighter series had been hinting at a Corsair but IIRC a MK XIV Spitfire series is next in the queue from those guys. Don't know how the P-47 have been doing in the marketplace so far.

The Corsair would also mark the first American subject in 24th scale from Airfix since the P-51D. Having seen two of those fantastic limited edition 20th scale Corsairs, there's gobs of room for adding extra detail. I'd say my only concern is to echo Roy Sutherlands' comments which is that US subject matter doesn't sell as well outside the United States.

All that said, if its up to the same standards as the Sea Vixen i'd buy at LEAST one.

david