How do you do the cammo technique with Blu-tac?

yeehah1

11 01 11

Just wondering...I have a Spitfire nearly ready for cammo and I have always wanted to try this technique. How precise to the cammo pattern do you need to be? Can anyone show some step by steps please? Just so I can get an idea of what and how I am supposed to be doing.

Thanks a muchly in advance

Liam

Hiya Liam,

It's a simple technique - just roll the BluTack into long sausages and lay over the model following the lines you want the demarcation to follow. And it's fairly easy to copy a drawing showing the demarcations - if not right - just move/bend. I then squidge it down a little before spraying to make sure it doesn't go awol mid-spray!!

I vary diameter depending upon how much overspray/feather I'm looking for. For current project - a Reggiane Re 2005 - it was about 5mm diameter as I wanted a slightly irregular line and only a little overspray.

Make the 'sausage' long enough to start before the masked area and finish after.

You can then mask the 'blind' side with tape/paper to prevent overspray onto the wrong side of the BluTack - but i usually find this is un-necessary.

Then - get your airbrush set up - 10 - 15 PSI max, paint nicely thinned - and test on a piece of card - nice narrow pattern.

Now - aim the airbrush just slightly ahead of the BluTack (spraying from the 'blind' side of it (always away from the side you don't want to add paint to) and gently follow the line of the BluTack mask with the airbrush. Several passes will be needed - build up slowly :)

The technique leaves a nice tight feathered edge.

Re 2005

re2005061.JPG

Hawker Hunter

180small354.JPG

I can prolly put together some photo's of the process at the weekend if anyone's interested?

If it's a coarse feather in 1:32 I just spray freehand.

F-100D

britmodeller009.JPG

Hopefully I've kind of explained it...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I would recomend using white tac, more so if using a matt paint.

I found bluetac can leave a mark on matt paint where as white tac does not.

Re the Hunter you should not see overspray as they used mats and then polished off any overspray with rubbing compound (in the factory that is)

Julien

Heres my method for doing camouflage schemes with blu tac:

Right, on to the FS30219 Tan. Paint is as ever Gunze Sangyo Acrylic. I'm using their Mr Color levelling thinner, it contains a retarder to slow the paint drying, therefore no clogged airbrush at all. Normally with Acrylics I have to clean the airbrush tip every couple of minutes, not this time, no build up, and it stays wet long enough to get a nice gloss finish. Thanks to Phil Flory and his vids I've been lightly spraying the area to be painted first, then coming back to infill as it leaves something to key to. Nice one Phil :mike:

P1171575.jpg

P1171576.jpg

The base colour is sprayed over the pre-shading which subtly shows through, then afterwards I add about 30% light grey and really thin the mix down, about 90% thinner. Then the centre of the panels get a light build up of the greyed out colour, before the whole area is given a very light dusting to tone everything together.....

P1171577.jpg

Then Blu Tac Sausages, easy peasy way to get a very fine scale feathered edge. Just remember to spray at around 900 to the sausage, otherwise you risk a hard edge...

P1171580.jpg

P1171581.jpg

P1171584.jpg

Now on with the light green FS34102, sprayed over the pre shading then post shaded in the center of the panels with well thinned with a bit of grey added.

P1181596.jpg

P1181592.jpg

P1181590.jpg

Now its beginning to look like a worn out Hun in Vietnam.

And so on:

Final colour, Gunze FS 34079 and post shaded with a bit of grey added like before.

P1201599.jpg

P1201598.jpg

P1201597.jpg

Let it dry for a couple of hours, even though its acrylic it can still be quite soft and I normally end up leaving paw marks on it.

Removed the masking and blu tac:

Voila

P1201623.jpg

P1201622.jpg

P1201617.jpg

P1201608.jpg

P1201605.jpg

Tomorrow the Alclad and then it will get interesting!

Link to the build is here: Linky

Hope that helps! Keep the pressure low and keep it at 90 degrees to the blu tack otherwise you will get a hard edge if you spray into it.

• Like 2

I use a slightly different method, I make paper masks of the camouflage pattern, roll the BluTac into thin sausages and attach it to the masks, these are than stuck to the model leaving a very slight gap (1 to 2 mm) between the mask and the surface.

Airbrush at 90o to the mask to prevent creep under the masks.

The BluTac does tend top stick very well to the surface and can leave a residue on the model, to remove this I roll a small piece of BluTac over the model.

Normally I remove the masks straight away after airbrushing and tidy up any creep under the masks with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit.

Here's one I did recently http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...40&start=40

Cheers

Den

have tried the blu-tac sausage but didnt seem to get such a neat finsih, may clean the paint of he dragonfly and start it again. I have a THUD in the stash I want to do later in the year and want to be able to handle the SEA scheme nicely......

Re the Hunter you should not see overspray as they used mats and then polished off any overspray with rubbing compound (in the factory that is)

Julien

Hi Julien,

Yes and, er, no...

Hard edge from factory - then a wide variety once in the field - especially later marks once they'd been in service a while - going by photo's anyway.

Something I was concerned about during the build - discussion re paint on page 5.

Rocket%20armed%20Hunters%20on%20pan_Sharjah_1963_LD(2).jpg

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I also use the Blu (or white) Tac method and endorse much of what is said above. However, for filling in I use cling film which I lay across the blu-tac and trim whith a scalpel. This saves on multiple strips of Tamiya Tape and is quite quick to apply.

My other piece of advice is to be very clear in your mind which side of the demarcation is the inside as far as masking is concerned. I got it wrong once and ended up with weedy squiggles of green over large expanses of grey.

This might be slightly of topic but I've tried this technique and found I was unable to get the Blu-tac to stay in place on vertical surfaces,putting more pressure on the Bu-tac caused the demarcation line to distort. I applied it over Xtracolor and WEM paint. I mention the paint type as I wonder if the gloss finish of these paints may effect the adhesion of the Blu-tac, I've had no problems applying it to horizontal surfaces,any thoughts?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Hi Julien,

Yes and, er, no...

Hard edge from factory - then a wide variety once in the field - especially later marks once they'd been in service a while - going by photo's anyway.

Very similar to the Lightnings when I was at Binbrook. It was quite common to see the Grey/Green camo jets with hard and soft edged paint on the same airframe. This was due to the painters either spraying the paint or applying it with a roller. More often than not the paint was rolled as it was much quicker to do, less masking and you did'nt have to evacuate the hanger - no spray bay at Binbrook!

This might be slightly of topic but I've tried this technique and found I was unable to get the Blu-tac to stay in place on vertical surfaces,putting more pressure on the Bu-tac caused the demarcation line to distort. I applied it over Xtracolor and WEM paint. I mention the paint type as I wonder if the gloss finish of these paints may effect the adhesion of the Blu-tac, I've had no problems applying it to horizontal surfaces,any thoughts?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Very strange, I usually use Xtracolor and WEM colourcoats and the BluTac sticks like crazy to them, and I use the same BluTac over and over again.

Cheers

Den

Copydex seems good for filling in between the blue / white tack lines. It's a very effective paint mask.

I know one or two others here have tried it.

just read this on another thread.... could you use copydex as a complete mask? i have not had a great success with blu-tac (I rush and that is a big issue i need to address) and wonder if i could paint the mask on then peel/rub off? any watch outs.....

Can't see why not or any masking agent for that matter. You would have to be more careful on its application that's all.

I've never really got on with blu tac myself and I tend to use very thin strips (1mm) of tamiya tape to create my camo

Heres my method for doing camouflage schemes with blu tac:

Greg: I'll be using acrylics to paint the cammo. Would you have to seal the paint before using hte blu-tack? Would the blu-tack lift the paint off if I chose not to seal it?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Greg: I'll be using acrylics to paint the cammo. Would you have to seal the paint before using hte blu-tack? Would the blu-tack lift the paint off if I chose not to seal it?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Liam, Gunze are acrylic paints, no sealing was required, just do not leave the blu tac on matt paints for too long as you can get a bit of an oily mark (it disappears after glossing for decals etc). White tac for some reason does not leave a trace. I have had no issues with it lifting paint as it has never been pressed down that hard and left for long periods.

As for using copydex, yes you can use it to fill the gaps, but it cannot be easily removed from the blu tac and using copydex only, you will end up with a hard edged finish which sort of defeats the reason for using blu tac in the first place.

just read this on another thread.... could you use copydex as a complete mask? i have not had a great success with blu-tac (I rush and that is a big issue i need to address) and wonder if i could paint the mask on then peel/rub off? any watch outs.....

Copydex is a great mask and can be used almost anywhere but as Greg says, if you lay it down with out the Blue Tack you will get a hard edged cam pattern.

As Greg also says, forget re-using the blue tack if you use Copydex. They might as well be glued together.

It is great for adding dabs from the almost dry brush which leaves very nice chipping effects once you clean it off.

As for using copydex, yes you can use it to fill the gaps, but it cannot be easily removed from the blu tac and using copydex only, you will end up with a hard edged finish which sort of defeats the reason for using blu tac in the first place.

fair point...... will continue to work with blu tac - maybe my sausages were too fat......

13 01 11

Well, I tried the blu-tack method and it worked reasonably well for a first go. First time ever I didn't have hard edges. However, it did leave marks around the edge of the cammo pattern, like a pale ghost where the blu-tack had been. I can 't get rid of it. I tried rubbing/rolling it with other blu-tack, but it won't lift. I used Vajello paint, the one formulated for airbrushes.

Any advise?

Liam

13 01 11

Well, I tried the blu-tack method and it worked reasonably well for a first go. First time ever I didn't have hard edges. However, it did leave marks around the edge of the cammo pattern, like a pale ghost where the blu-tack had been. I can 't get rid of it. I tried rubbing/rolling it with other blu-tack, but it won't lift. I used Vajello paint, the one formulated for airbrushes.

Any advise?

Liam

Yep, its just some of the oils in the blu tac have penetrated the paint layer. Try some soapy water and a soft paintbrush, it may help. I normally find that after gloss coating, decaling, another gloss coat, the wash and then the matt coat you cant see them!