Royal Egyptian Air Force Lancaster B Mk 1 - COMPLETE!

Decisions, decisions! KUTA III, for which I have several candidates, or the Lancaster STGB!!

I have a couple of Lancasters in the stash so may I join? Plan to do the Revell B1 (colour scheme and squadron TBD, but hopefully something a little different).

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

Thanks Daz

A little more progress from tonight.

Lancaster4-1.jpg

Before I stick the fuselage together I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the fuselage transparencies? In this scale the windows are pretty small and although I can try and mask them before gluing them into the fuselage, this leaves the risk of painting over them and then trying to clean up the windows later. I have used PVA glue for small transparencies before and I was wondering whether this would be a better option this time. Anyone got any views?

That's really looking good, Roland!

I've been thinking the same about mine, and have come to the conclusion that it depends on the fit of the transparencies. If they're snug, then fitting them and masking with Maskol would work well. If they're not, then the PVA route would be best.

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of progress on my Lancaster. Sadly having sprayed the top surfaces I have just realised that my aircraft needs all the fuselage windows blanking out. So out with the filler and then the wet'n'dry paper which will mean respraying the top surfaces of the fuselage :undecided:

Lancaster5.jpg

Lancaster6.jpg

And now off to my local rugby club for some birthday/Six Nations beers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Roland,

If you're not completely happy, try toning it down with chalk pastel brushed on. This works very effectively and is really easy to do. Try a black one to start by brushing into the panel lines. I usually chalk a few colours onto a sheet of wet n dry and use it like a pallet to add colours and break up flat areas of colour. If you're not happy, rub it off, if you are, add a bit of spray varnish to secure it. I think it's a superb build, hurry up and get some finished pics up !!!!

Edited by woody37

I think the effect that you have on the port outer is spot-on Roland, but I can see why you may be a bit doubtful in other areas. From photographs that I've studied, the aft edge of the wings tend to be less stained, presumably as a result of the airflow over the upper wing surface, whereas yours is pretty uniform across the whole aerofoil surface. But it really should be quite easy to correct - some light, judicious airbrushing with a very thinned grey sprayed from the aft edge forwards should fix things!

Max

yeah I reckon it can be fixed. Get some of your base grey paint and like galgos said spray it lightly over the staining, particularly towards the rear to the wing. then blend in that new paint with the rest and it should be back to normal. If it were me, I'd be tempted to add a tiny hint of brown/tan to the staining, just to make it look less ashen, but having said that it still looks pretty good as it is.

Best of luck mate :)

• 4 weeks later...

Been a bit remiss in not cracking on with this, particularly as I have signed up to the Spitfire STGB and that has started. Anyway, finally I have got her onto her own wheels so this is how my REAF Lancaster B1 looks as of last night. Sorry about the picture quality but they were taken on my phone. I would also be interested in knowing thoughts (good or bad) on whether I have recovered the excessive exhaust staining (or not)?

Lancaster14.jpg

Lancaster12.jpg

Lancaster13.jpg

I think the staining looks good. Its heavy but from the pics I've seen its completely within the typical staining seen on the Lancaster, they really were dirty aircraft!

My only suggestion would be to marry up the pattern of staining on the outer engines by removing as much staining as possible from the outermost exhaust exits on the number 1 and 4 engines. As someone pointed out in my build, for some reason the exhuast gasses from these exits went mostly under the wing with very little on the top.

Other than that, its looking sweet!

Thanks for the kind comments.

My only suggestion would be to marry up the pattern of staining on the outer engines by removing as much staining as possible from the outermost exhaust exits on the number 1 and 4 engines. As someone pointed out in my build, for some reason the exhaust gasses from these exits went mostly under the wing with very little on the top.

I was using this picture as a reference, (I hope this works) Lancaster which does show exhaust staining from 1 & 4 as well. I guess it all depends upon how well looked after the aircraft were.

Edited to add:

D@mn! Just reread your post and I think I see what you mean. The outer exhausts of 1 & 4, not all exhausts from 1 & 4! Good spot!!

Edited by Roland Pulfrew

D@mn! Just reread your post and I think I see what you mean. The outer exhausts of 1 & 4, not all exhausts from 1 & 4! Good spot!!

I missed it first time round when I built mine too, and no worries, I wasn't very clear when pointing the staining pattern out and even confused myself a little! :P