pink panther

Panzer Vor!!!

• 4 weeks later...

The following mix was provided by Mike Starmer for WW2 Desert PinK:

5pts XF2 + 5pts XF15 + 1 pt XF52 (a touch more white)

I'm not sure how the WW2 colour relates to that used on Landrovers and they seem a bit 'pinker' to me.

Mike's mix may be OK for weathered Landrovers.

David

Edited by DavidJ

Was reading about this a few days ago in an old issue of a military modelling mag (Model Military International, I think). If I remember correctly an ex-REME mechanic had written in who worked with the SAS on their vehicles. The pink was very pink, but the amount on it on each vehicle varied.

Wheels were often green or a mix of green and pink, as they were replaced quite often. Seat covers were NEVER pink. Sometimes just the rear bodies and bonnet were pink, with the footwells and undersides green. If you can find any references, I would suggest using them. Also, apparently the pink was quite hardwearing and the crews took good care of the finish, often touching up paint chips. It should therefore not be too heavily weathered.

On the model, do not include the canvas cover on the rear watercan/cargo carrier, and apparently the rifle sleeves on the front sides were removed very quickly as they collected sand which got into the guns.

Can't remember owt else, but hope that helps as well!

Mike

This one:

web.jpg

is, according to its owner, "painted with original paint from the stores at Hereford”. So it may not help with The mix, but this is what it should look like

There are some more of my detail pix here:

http://gallery.me.com/cmatthewbacon#100206...k&view=grid

Including some with the canvas “bivvy” deployed out from the side, which would make for a nice diorama. This one is supposed to ba as authentic as it’s possible to get, though obviously not as worn and weathered as the real thing might have gotten...

HTH,

bestest,

M.

This one:

web.jpg

is, according to its owner, "painted with original paint from the stores at Hereford”. So it may not help with The mix, but this is what it should look like

The original mix was reported to be red oxide primer and white mixed locally . I am not sure about the "original paint form the stores at Hereford" legend as I understand most PPs were actually painted in theatre and I doubt that anyone woudl trust better than 30 year old paint on a serious restoration. Paint used on later Series 3 machine may not have been the same shade.

To follow up on a couple of other posts: -

The WW2 colour was definitely different, and was really only pink when compared with Light Stone which is decidely yellowish.

Wheels for the Pink Panthers were a 15" diameter with Bridgestone sand tyres and shouldn't be interchanged with the 16" type used on GS and FFR Land Rovers of the period.

Not all SAS Land Rovers were Pink Panthers - it was normal practice to include a GS Land Rover in a three car patrol to carry spares and water; the one service photo I have seen of a patrol has two Pink Panthers with the original DGB showing where the pink had worn off or where they had hit something - the third vehicle is a standard 3/4T GS with the doors and windows removed and finished in a well worn light stone/black disruptive pattern

The original mix was reported to be red oxide primer and white mixed locally . I am not sure about the "original paint form the stores at Hereford" legend as I understand most PPs were actually painted in theatre and I doubt that anyone woudl trust better than 30 year old paint on a serious restoration. Paint used on later Series 3 machine may not have been the same shade.

To follow up on a couple of other posts: -

The WW2 colour was definitely different, and was really only pink when compared with Light Stone which is decidely yellowish.

Wheels for the Pink Panthers were a 15" diameter with Bridgestone sand tyres and shouldn't be interchanged with the 16" type used on GS and FFR Land Rovers of the period.

Not all SAS Land Rovers were Pink Panthers - it was normal practice to include a GS Land Rover in a three car patrol to carry spares and water; the one service photo I have seen of a patrol has two Pink Panthers with the original DGB showing where the pink had worn off or where they had hit something - the third vehicle is a standard 3/4T GS with the doors and windows removed and finished in a well worn light stone/black disruptive pattern

The original mix was correct 1 tin of red oxide + 1 tin of white mixed in a drip tray and hand painted with 3inch brushes, on one Friday afternoon for the Royal Tournament, I had spots of it on my smock for years.

Interesting discussion! I tried tinting Humbrol matt white with their dull matt red colour (perhaps hull red) and was pleased with the results on my Tamiya model - though I seem to recall I added a few drops of light sand till the pink was toned down just a whisker.

is, according to its owner, "painted with original paint from the stores at Hereford”.

What a load of b******s.

The pink used to paint these vehicles is not a standard mix but rather a "pink colour" mixed on the spot for the vehicles. It can be anything from a strong deep pink to a light powder pink depending on the time of day, lighting conditions and the age of the paint job.

Having had the misfortune to talk to some of the owners of the PP's at beltring I can assure you that anything said by them MUST be taken with a sea full of salt. They are so far up their own backsides with their own "importance" as to make me seam normal.

What a load of b******s.

The pink used to paint these vehicles is not a standard mix but rather a "pink colour" mixed on the spot for the vehicles. It can be anything from a strong deep pink to a light powder pink depending on the time of day, lighting conditions and the age of the paint job.

Having had the misfortune to talk to some of the owners of the PP's at beltring I can assure you that anything said by them MUST be taken with a sea full of salt. They are so far up their own backsides with their own "importance" as to make me seam normal.

As for a load of b******s

The one I was on about was the only pink one in the Regt in the 70,s,, as rest were green and black and they were B***y horrid to drive,as I did send 3 years working on them at Hereford.