Marine Crusader

Giorgio N

10.30 PM, GMT + 1, and the Crusader is finally finished !!!!!!

I've had to take some shortcuts to finish it in time for the end of the GB, among these I did not add any load under the wing. This meant adding a coule of bits to simulate the hooks on the pylons... took less time than painting the rocket launchers I wanted to use.. The pylons on the side of the fuselage are butt-joined and it was clear that they could not stand the weight of the 4 zuni packs, so I glued a steel rod on both pylons, passing through the fuselage:

GB22.jpg

Another shortcut was the use of the kit seat. This kind of represents an MB Mk.7 as used on the F-8J, however my plane should have had a Mk.5. As I could not find any, I used the kit one. This has the ejection handles very thick and should be replaced... next time ! I only added a few belts to make the area look busy.

One last annoyance was the decal provided by academy for the windscreen sealant. This is too big, so I had to cut it in many parts and add them separately in order to locate the sealant strips in the right place. Very annoying !

GB23.jpg

And here it is in all its glory !

GB24.jpg

GB25.jpg

GB26.jpg

As I had no time left, I did not weather the model as I wanted. I'll do this whenever I have time to play with it. This means that the model is not really completed, as I want to add some dirt, the underwing rocket launchers and a new seat. However it's complete enough to deserve its place in the gallery of the Group Build !

GB27.jpg

GB28.jpg

GB31.jpg

Did I enjoy it ? Yes and no. Yes because its a great kit and a beautiful subject. No because I had several problems with the paint and decals.

However the finished model looks good enough, at least from 4-5 feet. And again shows how beautiful the Crusader is, even if some features are quite weird, as the variable incidence wing and the arrangement of the 4 rocket launchers on the fuselage...

Next one will be done from this box:

heller.jpg

A very old Heller box, bought last year for a fiver. To be used for a conversion in one of the earlier versions.... I can see more crusaders being built in the future !!!!!

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1