Eurofighter to EAP

smeds

Can I convert a Eurofighter to the EAP ?

Just how different are they ?

All I have done so far is look at pics of the two and got to thinking...........................

Edited by smeds

It is possible but will require a lot of scratchbuilding !

There was an article on Sami where the author combined an italeri typhoon and a tornado to make an EAP, all in 1/48. A great job, where however a lot of parts still had to be made from scratch. And I'm talking things like part of the fuselage, not just details...

The two planes are very different in reality and no two parts are identical. The layout is similar and that's all.

In 1/72 there's a brand new resin kit from Freightdog and there was an old (and inaccurate from what I heard) short run made by pegasus. If you're not into scratchbuilding, you're better off starting with one of these, or better just buy the freightdog kit.

Can I convert a Eurofighter to the EAP ?

Not easily

Just how different are they ?

Very.

While the basic shape is similar, EAP and Typhoon are two very different aircraft and it would take a lot of work to convert a Typhoon into an EAP. IMO you're better off scratchbuilding the whole thing around some Tornado parts (which I believe is how the real thing was built) than using a Typhoon as a basis for a conversion.

Edited by Bobski

While the basic shape is similar, EAP and Typhoon are two very different aircraft and it would take a lot of work to convert a Typhoon into an EAP. IMO you're better off scratchbuilding the whole thing around some Tornado parts (which I believe is how the real thing was built) than using a Typhoon as a basis for a conversion.

I've looked at doing it in 1/144th a couple of times - basically you can use the rear fuselage and fin from a Tornado, and even they need a bit of modification. In 1/144th I reckoned I might be able to get away with the fuselage as a basis, but not anything larger!!

It is possible but will require a lot of scratchbuilding !

There was an article on Sami where the author combined an italeri typhoon and a tornado to make an EAP, all in 1/48. A great job, where however a lot of parts still had to be made from scratch. And I'm talking things like part of the fuselage, not just details...

I was interested by myself at attempt the 1/48 conversion from a TYPHOON to a EAP so as that issue of SAMI has get out I read a lot of times the article inside the magazine but then I let loose.

If I recall well, the EAP did use the entire rear fuselage taken from the TORNADO but also this area requires modifications. Worst of all, the entire front part need to be scratchbuilt from ZERO.

I'm an avid Whatif builder but one thing is to invent a model using the fantasy while another thing is to replicate faithfully an existing model starting from a scale drawing.

A junior member of IPMS, (Dave?) Haggas, did one around 20 years ago for the Nationals, by using the back end of the (first) Revell Tornado, and scratchbuilding the rest onto it.

Edgar

while I was recovering informations to build the my EAP in 1/48 I found the traces of the EAP 1/32 done by Mr. Haggas in 1988:

baeeapscala1-32scalemodels_marzo1988.jpg