Lancaster Mk10 DC

I have spent most of yesterday and today filling, sanding and poishing the wings to my satisfaction. Next up I supose I ought to see what the fit of the drone pylons is like. I guess I will have to pin both the pylons to the wings and the drone to the pylons for strength.

Martin

101_2091.jpg

101_2092.jpg

Yesterday I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and see what the actual conversion kit held in store for me, Well, despite my dislike of resin, I have to report that it is well cast in a softish, workable resin and fits the model rather well. As previously indicated I decided to pin the pylon to wing and drone to pylon joints with brass rod for strength. I have also done a test fit to see what the drone to pylon fit is like. Here are the pics.

Martin

101_2095.jpg

101_2098.jpg

Looks great, if not a bit strange !

Thanks. Many woud argue that the model reflects my personality then! Still it works for me and will be very colourful when painted.

Martin

I have managed to get the rest of the fuselage structure finished and now need to start fitting it out. I might add a little more structure depending on how I am doing timewise; I would really like to get this one done by the Poole Vikings show on 16th of April, if not the end of the GB. I also probably need to be looking out the Firebee drones soon. After all, they are the raison d'etre of the conversion.

Martin

101_2099.jpg

Edited by martin hale

Why? Well, there is an old adage that a good modeller never throws anything away and I have just been reminded that this still holds true.

I had been wondering if there was an easier and less messy way to replace the mid upper turret fairing witout resorting to laminating bits of plastic card together and then carving them to shape. A look through my spare parts box revealed a resin nose section for a Firefly AS7 conversion that a friend had given me. For some reason he had included two of these sections and one had been consigned to the spares box. As it looked that a section cut out of it would be close to the Lancaster fuselage section I needed to replace, I removed the said chunk of resin and found that, by widening it slightly with heat applied with a hair dryer and raising the bottom edge of the cut out on the Lanc with a strip of 40'thou card on each side, a very close fit indeed was achievable.

I am very well aware that the God of Smug will doubtless now smite me heartily but for an hour or two I shall allow myself to feel pleased with my efforts. I was sligtly surprised that Belcher Bits did not include a replacement fuselage section in their conversion kit, especially as it is designed for the Airfix kit and chopping out the turret section is unavoidable.

Martin

101_2105.jpg

She's coming on a treat Martin! You have my sympathy with all that hacking, cutting and scratchbuilding, but you will end up with an impressive and unusual subject that will have been worth all the trouble.

Mark

• 4 years later...

Likewise to the above question. How did it shape up? I bought the set a few months ago and still need to get a kit. Probably the new tool Dambuster version from Airfix as it has the upper turret blank with a view to doing the same subject and so would like to see how it would look in model form.