A-1J Skyraider. VA-165 'Boomers'

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the PIBBER DIORAMA thread now.... Thought I had till the end of the month to finish this.... I dont and (therefore), I wont ! Unless the hosts grant an extension.... pwease :wub:

Ian

Edited by Ian

Just read the PIBBER DIORAMA thread now.... Thought I had till the end of the month to finish this.... I dont and (therefore), I wont ! Unless the hosts grant an extension.... pwease :wub:

Ian

Granted...finish dates now the 17th

Andy :frantic:

Making the most of the extended deadline: Decals on !

Sky6a.jpg

Sky6b.jpg

Sky6c.jpg

And this evening, I've painted all the 'ickle bits' like the tyres, arrestor hook, engine and "gone the extra mile" on the loadout. Tomorrow morning, I'll get the last of the paint onto the cowl, flaps and drop-tank. If there' still time before my little'uns get in from Kindergarten at 1300, then I'll start the oil washes too.

Still might just do it !

Ian :frantic:

Got a fair bit done today aswell. Loadout :

Sky7a.jpg

Sky7aa.jpg

Also got the oil washes on: General views

Sky8a.jpg

Sky8b.jpg

Sky8c.jpg

As you can see, I've tried to reproduce the boot scuffs around the wing-root. Looks OK to me, not too bad for a first attempt. More in a moment.

Ian

Edited by Ian

looks brilliant! may I ask exactly how you reproduce your stains with oils? I'd love to try them out on my aircraft some time :)

"Exactly", Well that could take a while, Rowan. Basically it boils down to this: I use tiny - and I do mean tiny - spots of Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna and Paynes Grey oil paint right from the tube; place them in the areas you'd expect the leaks to be (under the engine, lubricant points etc, etc.) then VERY gently brush them back using a larger soft DRY sable brush (I use a #5 or #6 round headed Pro-Arte). It's taken me quite a while to refine this technique, but I use it on virtually every prop build I do. Seems to work, but I would strongly recommend that you try-it-out on an old 'test-bed' first before comitting it to your latest pride-and-joy.

Thanks for asking.

Ian

very nice :speak_cool:

"Exactly", Well that could take a while, Rowan. Basically it boils down to this: I use tiny - and I do mean tiny - spots of Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna and Paynes Grey oil paint right from the tube; place them in the areas you'd expect the leaks to be (under the engine, lubricant points etc, etc.) then VERY gently brush them back using a larger soft DRY sable brush (I use a #5 or #6 round headed Pro-Arte). It's taken me quite a while to refine this technique, but I use it on virtually every prop build I do. Seems to work, but I would strongly recommend that you try-it-out on an old 'test-bed' first before comitting it to your latest pride-and-joy.

Thanks for asking.

Ian

just going to ask how you got the stains too...

Andy.

Well it's done, but you'll need to trust me. Simply put, I got the final satin varnish on late yesterday after work and just prior to sleep !! - and final assembly done late this afternoon. Unfortunately that coincided with a glorious couple of days and the subsequent family demands - not complaining, we had a great time, simply explaining... I'm certain I'm not the only one suffering a wee bit of sunburn this evening ! Anyhoos, I'm back on-watch and cannot upload any pics from work so will be done tomorrow or most likely Tuesday.

Thanks to the hosts of this 'ere Group Build, for keeping us all honest.

See some of you at the Bomber GB and Phantom GB next month.

Pics very soon - pwomise. :blush:

Ian

Edited by Ian

Just remembered I hadn't posted the pics - well here's just two for now. The rest are in the gallery !

Skydone1.jpg

Skydone6.jpg

Great GB, really enjoyed it. Thanks all.

Ian