Alclad Klear Kote Gloss (120ml)

Mike

Alclad Klear Kote Gloss (120ml)

Mineral spirit based gloss finish

klearkote.jpg

This is a new product on me, and I approached it with caution... It arrives in a clear plastic bottle with a screw top cap, and looks like a bottle of water! Unscrewing the cap you're greeted by a mineral spirit smell similar to enamel paints. It's pre-thinned to go straight into your airbrush, which saves an awful lot of mucking about with thinners, so you just pour a little into your cup, and away you go.

My first use of it was over a coat of Alclad's excellent white primer, as I wanted a semi-gloss/gloss white finish, and didn't see any point in spraying any more white paint over the primer because it already gives a great white. Spraying thin coats of the gloss builds up from a slightly satin finish through to a true gloss, and orange peel doesn't seem to be an issue. If you spray a couple of thin coats, then some heavier "wet" coats, you end up with a rather attractive gloss finish that is eminently suitable for decaling.

The other point of note is that the finish dries in 20 minutes or so (depending on ambient temperature), and leaves a very thin but strong finish, much the same as the Alclad metallic paints. Cleanup is done simply & effectively with cellulose thinners, or you could try Alclad's own excellent airbrush cleaner, which I'll be reviewing shortly. Apologies for the grey paint splatters on the product picture, but I like to actually use products before I review them, and you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs ;)

So far I've tried it over Lifecolor acrylics, which often seem to soften under spirit based paints, but to my surprise and delight, it doesn't seem to affect them. That makes it a perfect replacement for the now defunct Klear/Future, so that I can leave my remaining stock as a canopy dipping solution. I call that a result!

While you only get 120ml for around £4.95, you don't use much either, so it evens out. Although I can comfortably spray Klear these days, I remember the initial issues I had, and feel that the Alclad Klear Kote was easier to use for the novice gloss coater.

highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of Alclad.

• 1 month later...

I picked a bottle of this stuff up recently and used it for the first time yesterday. It goes down really well over Tamiya acrylics and not having to thin it is a real bonus. Definite thumbs up here.

If this is spirit based then does it react if you put an oil wash over the top? I'm thinking Mig washes here as they're thinned with spirit are they not?

I'm planning to use an oil wash on my Sufa, so I'll report back in due course.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning to use an oil wash on my Sufa, so I'll report back in due course.

How did it go Paul? I'm very interested in trying some of this stuff but am a bit concerned about how it will react to a white spirit thinned oil wash over the top.

Also has anyone tried spraying it on other brands of acrylics? I know Mike mentioned Lifecolor, but what about Tamiya, Gunze, Xtracrylix and Vallejo?

VEE NEED MORE INFORMATZION!

Cheers,

Nick

Well I'm taking my time with the Sufa, so you'll have to wait and see :tease:

Seriously though, it goes down perfectly over Tamiya acrylic. Two thin coats produces a nice, glossy finish better than I could have got with Klear or X-22. It dries ever so slightly tacky though, but I think this should disappear under a coat of matt varnish. I haven't finished the decals yet* but I'll try a test for the oil wash on a small part and report back.

*Because Kinetic thought it would be a good idea to include the painting/decalling guide from the 1:48 kit with the 1:72 kit. Only problem is that all the decals have different numbers, so it's impossible to tell which decals should go where.

Ok, I tried an oil wash on the end of one wing and it seemed to work fine. I used my usual Daler Rowney low odour thinners and had no problems.

Good news. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Paul. Can we assume then it's safe to use oils thinned with white spirit?

• 1 year later...

I've just bought some of this. Not the gloss though. I got ALC-311 Klear Kote Light Sheen and ALC-314 Klear Kote Flat.

It's astonishing. The Flat is dead flat. The Light Sheen produces a finish that is just right for a scale gloss finish. Highly recommended.

I've just bought some of this. Not the gloss though. I got ALC-311 Klear Kote Light Sheen and ALC-314 Klear Kote Flat.

It's astonishing. The Flat is dead flat. The Light Sheen produces a finish that is just right for a scale gloss finish. Highly recommended.

Yeah its great stuff, trouble is, it takes forever to fully dry, if it ever does.

Yeah its great stuff, trouble is, it takes forever to fully dry, if it ever does.

I have a replacement bottle for you the next time I see you.

Talking to Alclad it looks like you may have a duff bottle.

Paul

Same for me and I really tried with it, thin coats weeks of waiting and still it was tacky. I binned it and went to their aqua based one in the end.

Ian

Same for me and I really tried with it, thin coats weeks of waiting and still it was tacky. I binned it and went to their aqua based one in the end.

I've noticed that with the Flat. Didn't have any pronlems with the Light Sheen. However, I then tried some very thin mist coats of the Falt and that seemed to dry fine. It's only when you build up a thick coating of the stuff that you get problems.

I've noticed that with the Flat. Didn't have any pronlems with the Light Sheen. However, I then tried some very thin mist coats of the Falt and that seemed to dry fine. It's only when you build up a thick coating of the stuff that you get problems.

The light sheen and semi Matt are fine, if there was a dodgey batch which it looks like there was it won't matter how you apply it. You'll soon know if yours is ok when you handle the parts for any time. Hopefully you'll be fine.

• Like 1

"Same for me and I really tried with it, thin coats weeks of waiting and still it was tacky. I binned it and went to their aqua based one in the end"

Me too its just also reacted with mig thinners an sort of gone "gooey" when I brushed the filter - I did this a day after though

Pretty sure mine came from little cars as well at the bolton show I think

Paul

• 8 years later...

I used this product with great success over AK Extreme Metal after it had sat for several months, but I'm unsure what the minimum drying time should be between applying AK Extreme Metal and clear-coating it with this product.  Does anyone know?  Thanks in advance!  I want to avoid a disaster here.