1:350 HMS Hood

On really large ships, like the Iowa and Yamato, the 12 link chain looks quite good. Might look good on modern carriers as well. But I believe we will have to do with standard oval shape chain for a while. At least until someoe understands how much we are prepared to pay for it...;)

Paint and chain aside - I've spent a couple of hours making sub assemblies tonight (I needed to see something take shape!).

Have decided not to replace the moulded in vent detail with the etch panels - I think the kit parts will look good enough with a wash and the etch will just provide more opportunity to mess up.

Too late for photo's tonight - will try and post an update later in the week - but I take my hat off to you ship builders - how many sub-assemblies?

How many edges to true-up?

How small?!

Will keep plugging away - but may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

From my hunt for ColourCoats thread:

Dorking Models may have stock and I can check tomorrow if you're in a hurry.

Cheers mate - Tony at Dorking Models came up trumps - now have two tins of AP507B :)

I thank ewe...

Iain

• 5 weeks later...

All paints now 'on stock' here at the 'shipyard' :)

Have been wiped out with flu last week an a half - so been off modelling.

Tonight I needed to wind down after first day back in the office - so a few hours in front of telly with more sub assembly progress - very theraputic - but the more I get into this - the more I take my hat off to the ship builders on here (and I haven't started on the PE yet!!).

Planning to focus on my Hawk at the weekend - but going to try and make some more progress on Hood and I *will* post some pix.

Haven't a clue if I'm tackling this the right way (instructions have gone out of the window) - but lots of sub-assemblies that allow me to clean up joints befor further assembly and paint.

Night all!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Here's where we are tonight.

Have been on a big learning curve with this - but have come to conclusion I've been worrying about the build too much and just need to crack on. Hopefully there's some sense to the breakdown of parts before I start painting - any thoughts/tips appreciated!

I can certainly see the attraction of model ship building!!

re2005119.JPG

I was going to paint the decks and wall panels separately - but then realised some filling/careful positioning required - so have been fitting these before paint.

re2005122.JPG

And next deck loosely placed in position - everything seems to fit OK...

re2005129.JPG

Closer view of where we are on main hull - will fill later and sand/prep tomorrow.

re2005130.JPG

And, again, with next deck in place. I've elected not to use the panels that come with the Lion Roar set as I think they'll just add a lot of aggro for not a lot of enhancement.

re2005131.JPG

And I just couldn't resist placing some of the growing sub-assemblies in position...

re2005132.JPG

There's a Hood in there somewhere!

re2005133.JPG

Sub assemblies to date - most sanded and prepped...

re2005134.JPG

Here's the gunnery tower - fixed so that the main openings are now the same depth - and ready for a sanding/blending session.

re2005135.JPG

Hawse pipes filled with Milliput - ready to be smoothed out with files. Top openings don't need to be perfect as they will be covered by gratings from the White Ensign Etch set. Also note the moulded in anchor chains have all been removed.

I'm enjoying this! :)

Iain

I've found chain with the cross piece, but I think it is much to large for ships like Hood. The smallest I've found might be ok for behemoths like Yamato or Iowa. It's one of the things I really could pay a bit extra for.

Probably it is something that you either notice immediately or not at all....

hood was the same size as iowa and yamato. iowa was actually slightly lighter than hood all 3 ships are around 850-860 feet long too

hood was the same size as iowa and yamato. iowa was actually slightly lighter than hood all 3 ships are around 850-860 feet long too

There's more than lenght to a ship. Yamato had about 50% larger tonnage than Hood. My guess is that anchor chain thickness has more to do with tonnage than lenght.

There's more than lenght to a ship. Yamato had about 50% larger tonnage than Hood. My guess is that anchor chain thickness has more to do with tonnage than lenght.

dunno mate but iowa had slightly less tonnage than hood

yamato/musashi were just in a league of their own

• 1 month later...

OK - it's been far too long...

With Hawk now complete I'm back fettling the Hood - just had a mega sanding session - then (hopefully) out with some paint before bed.

Iain (feeling inspired...)

• Like 1

Question for the assembled nautical bods - do you use the WEM paints as is - or do you lighten for scale effect?

Just looking at my AP 507B and it's quite dark?

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Have gone with AP 507B straight from the tin - but have mixed a darker deck teak than the Wem colour - which is very pale as supplied.

So - inner walls painted/masked/inner deck painted (will post pix when I can get to my PC.

Several things learned:

• Don't be afraid because it's a ship - just go for it
  • Masking ship parts takes a lot of tape - and a lot more patience...
  • The order of painting/assembling hurts my head (and causes frequent internal battles between my remaining grey cells)
  • Ships are fun (I think...)
  • And - I may not finish before end of GB at this rate :(

Pix when I can.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Hi denstore - have mixed something a little darker based upon the link Phil posted to the colour film on YouTube.

Most of the inner deck will be in shadow - so will just add a wash to bring out detail. The more visible decks I'll mask odd planks and vary colour and see what it looks like.

Iain

• 1 month later...

Really sorry - failed miserably to complete on time :(

I will continue though - and perhaps ask mods if the thread can be moved to the standard maritime build thread.

Iain

• 3 months later...
That's a shame Ian, I was enjoying the work on this. Looking forward to seeing it finished at some stage! :)

J.

Iain,

Just found this thread and actually just picked this kit up at a show last weekend for a really nice deal. Was wondering if you have made any more progress on it???

John

Erm - no progress I'm ashamed to say - although I was thinking of having a break from other stuff for a few days and dig her out. :(

Iain

No worries. I am plenty 'guilty' (if that's the right word) of starting something and moving on to something else too. I am probably worse. I really have to finish some things!!!

John