1:350 HMS Hood

OK - after much prevarication - I'm going to have a go at this...

I bought the kit as soon as it came out - the plan being to build it for my friend - Bill Stone - who served on her in the early 1920's as a stoker and was on her during the Empire Cruise. Having joined in the First World War - he was also active in the Second - at Dunkirk and serving on Murmansk Convoys.

article-1113464-015EFAAB0000044D-164_233x364.jpg

Sadly Bill passed away in January 2009 aged 108. He was a great chap - full of great spirit and still enjoying a beer and chatting up the ladies in his last year. With my families background in the Royal Navy we had some great conversations about the Navy and history in general - a true gentleman. Bills favourite ship was the Mighty 'ood - he was so proud of his time on her.

So - Bill - this one's for you mate - and also in memory of those that lost their lives when she sank. RIP one and all.

The kit - well - here's the obligatory box and 'stuff' showing where we are at the moment. I have no experience of ships - and they scare me rigid. I'm relying on you ship modelling types to help keep me going - I think I can handle the small parts - and the etch. I'm not so convinced I can stay the course. Then there's the full hull or waterline debate...

re2005046.JPG

re2005047.JPG

re2005048.JPG

re2005049.JPG

In the background you may be able to see my attempt at a U-Boat - I'll update progress on that shortly...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Thanks Phil...

OK - starter for ten - what colours from the WEM range do I need?

I rather liked them on the U-Boat project and guessing they probably do the most accurate colours for RN Ships?

Iain

Thanks Chewitt - it's your superb build that finally pushed me over the edge!!!

I've been reading the list of corrections over on the Hood site - but anything I should look out for build-wise?

Any pointers really appreciated...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Good luck with this one Iain. Looks like you've got all the etch you'll ever need, but what about a nice wooden deck?

WEM colours I would have thought you need are

RN 19 Royal Navy WWII antifouling red

C 01 Teak, if not using wooden deck

Black boot topping.

RN 03 AP507C Admiralty Light Grey

Plus whatever calouts are for the ships boats etc.

Thanks - that's brill!

As to etch - well - I got the WEM set as soon as it was out - then was after the Lion Roar turrets and barrels. Couldn't get those separately but ended up getting the full set at Telford in '09.

Don't know whether I can cover everything from the Lion Roar set and not touch the WEM set and possibly sell on - but haven't gone through yet.

Don't want to worry about a wooden deck - want to see what effect I can get with paint and some careful masking...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I bought the WEM turrets and anchors at the same time as buying their etch and the decking. I didn't know about the Lionroar set then but it seems a bit of overkill to buy it now.

The WEM colour for the Hood at the time of her demise,was AP507B,med blue gray(don`t know the code in the WEM range),The only time she was painted in the Ap507c lt grey ,was before the war ,when flagship of the Med Fleet in the late 30`s.

Cheers Phil

What a great choice Iain and what a great ship.

Really looking forward watching this come together. Best of British.

As to the reasoning to making this build, there's none better than to honour the memory of someone you knew or who served this country, respect mate, that's all I can say.

Deacon

The WEM colour for the Hood at the time of her demise,was AP507B,med blue gray(don`t know the code in the WEM range),The only time she was painted in the Ap507c lt grey ,was before the war ,when flagship of the Med Fleet in the late 30`s.

Cheers Phil

My mistake, think the WEM code will be RN 02 for AP507B.

Cheers guys!

Phil,

Thanks for link - suspect I'm going to be spending quite some time on that site!

Just looked up Corticene and WEM have it on stock - so will order the greys over the weekend. :)

In the mean-time I have the hull to crack on with over the weekend - amongst a few other projects - but I will post some in-progress pix over the weekend.

And - please, please, please - constructive comments on assembly/colours/methods/accuracy really appreciated as I go along - I don't think I've been so nervous of starting a project as I am with this - and, especially with all the etch - has big f**k up potential!! :hypnotised:

Full hull, or waterline?

I started thinking former, now I'm leaning towards waterline which appears to be the favoured plan of attack amongst you nautical types these days?

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Will be watching this one.......no pressure :whistle:

Got it in the stash as well with the Lion roar and also the wooden deck.

Is there a lot of doubles in the etch sets as I would have though one would have been plenty ?

Personally I prefer full hull and have a ship displayed in a nice case. Saying that, I do appreciate the wonderful dioramas Phil builds, just would be too scared of mucking up a large and usually expensive model.

Edited by Shar2

I know that I will build her waterline. In my opinion a full hull Hood is a bit of a ugly duckling. Her long, sleek and graceful lines will be best represented in waterline. As a full hull kit she (and a lot of other ships as well, IMHO) looks a bit clumsy.

Edited by denstore

My vote in the Waterline or full-hull poll,goes to Waterline.I use to build full-hull but this last year all my models have been waterline,and wouldn`t do them any other way now!

Anyway Iain it`s your choice,and build what you think best,whatever you choose ,I`m sure you`ll make a good job of it!!

Cheers Phil

Waterline it is - at anchor - midday May 22 1941 - Scapa Flow...

Doing the water - now there's another challenge! ;)

Iain

If she's at anchor, the water shouldn't need to be that hard. To me, the bow waves are the hard part.

I've experimented a bit, and one of my favourite variants for small waves on a calm day involves pressing a tea-spoon into your material of choice. The important thing is to be unregular but still have some basic plan. And do it witout the ship in place. That way you can make the whole base a bit oversize, and then put the ship at the point where you are least satisfied with your waves.

If she's at anchor, the water shouldn't need to be that hard.

Exactly my thinking ;)

OK - too late to go back - first bonding has taken place - started gluing the waterline base-plate in place. I was going to do decks first - but the hull has an upward bow to it - bow to stern - so I though best get it stable/un-warped first.

Bow glued with Plastic Weld - I'll let that go off before I start working backwards...

Iain

1:26:00 - build time so far...

Ogilvie Shipyards is proud to announce that work is progressing apace on HMS Hoods hull:

re2005054.JPG

Just for fun I've popped a Lion Roar resin turret in place - it's not glued yet - trust me!

re2005055.JPG

Tried to get the deck joints as neat as possible to reduce the filling and sanding that will be needed over the weekend.

re2005056.JPG

Bow - now - I'm going to need to drill out the holes for the anchor chains (don't know what correct nautical term is!) - any ideas on diameter? And should there be a 'tube' up to the deck? I'll have a flick through Anatomy of a Ship when I go to bed...

re2005057.JPG

De-gausing cables need to go...

re2005058.JPG

So that's where we are...

Plan is to get the hull cleaned up over the weekend and ready to move on.

Comments/thoughts/abuse welcomed!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Cheers Deacon - you can't see the glue smudge on the other side of the hull in those pix - easily fixed! ;)

Having read my Anatomy of the Ship book last night I know a new nautical term. Hawsers - them thingies where the anchors live!

Now - assume the tubes that form these are straight lines internally - no curved? I want to drill these out and provide the tubed hawser effect - any pointers appreciated.

<wanders off to trawl the Interweb>

Iain