Short Sunderland III

Deacon

This one will take me out of my comfort zone a bit as the biggest WW2 kit I have made

so far is a 1:72 Beaufighter!

Here is the box shot...

NewBuilds001.jpg

I would like to perhaps add some after market stuff, but I am not sure what there is.

Cheers

Deacon

Falcon do replacement transparencies: they may be available separately in the Squadron range (see Hannants) or you may have to buy one of Falcon's sets, which will set you up for several other kits.

Aeroclub do replacement engines and propellors.

White Ensign do some amazing etched brass sets - one for the flightdeck, one for the bombbay, and one for external details. They are not cheap, but very impressive.

I was going to build this kit as I have all the WEM etch for it, but chickend out as I'm not comfortable building aircraft, which is why I've gone all shippy for this GB.

I guess it's whatever you're comfortable with. I used to build aircraft exclusively, now it's mostly ships. Although I've now started on a tank which isn't quite so bad.

Hi Deacon

There is aftermarket stuff available, depends on what you want to do? (basic OOB or ramp up your build some)

What Mark (/III/IIIa/), What Squadron? What part of the Atlantic? (Sunderland Mk III's differed in some respect

in different parts of the Atlantic)

As Graham said, Aeroclub do engine/prop sets

Falcon do a repacement set for the kit parts But the forward/rear turrets are only for a Mk I/II

if doing a Mk III/IIIa then you will need to make your own

Falcon Set

The WEM stuff, cockpit set is Ok but really only for Mk I/II or early MkIII

The bombay is actuall wrong in that it's to high. I have seen builds where

the upper forward Bulkhead has this acute angle to it (whether this is the modeller or WEM instructions?)

but the real aircraft is nothing like that.

If the WEM stuff is out of your budget then you can build the interior like I have

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47663

If you have any queries or need technical info let me know

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

If the WEM stuff is out of your budget then you can build the interior like I have

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47663

If you have any queries or need technical info let me know

Firstly mate, :gobsmacked: and then secondly, :gobsmacked: .

A fantastic build and superbly detailed WIP. :worthy:

My build will be no where near that as I tend to build OOB. But I did want to try to do something a little extra to this kit.

Your help on identifying a correct aircraft and after market decals would be appreciated as I wanted to do a coastal command aircraft, not the Canadian Airforce

which is the only choice in The box.

Thanks everyone for showing interest in this build. I'm a little nervous about making a bad show of it now. ;)

Deacon

My build will be no where near that as I tend to build OOB. But I did want to try to do something a little extra to this kit.

Your help on identifying a correct aircraft and after market decals would be appreciated as I wanted to do a coastal command aircraft, not the Canadian Airforce

which is the only choice in The box.

Thanks everyone for showing interest in this build. I'm a little nervous about making a bad show of it now. ;)

Deacon

Hi Deacon

Glad to be able to help

I'll go through my references to see what I have that is say a UK based Sunderland, that

has markings easy enough to replicate (for the RAF code and serial).

Edit - this photo is an RAAF boat from RAF Mount Batten Code Z serial W4004 circa 1943

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/picture.ph...derland&p=8

To be honest if you were to use the port hole transparecies from the kit and painted

a 1mm circle around the outer edge, your portholes would be perfect.

If you were to buy two sets of Aeroclub props (Aeroclub PO55) they will give you the

right props, you can use the kit engines, just move the exhaust to the townend ring from where

Airfix would have you place them

Depends on whether you want to make a Yagi aerial Mk III (WEM set is nice) or a Mk IIIa with

the ASV domes under the wings?

The interior can be just some bulkheads postioned in the fuselage to stop the empty interior look

The Bow/stern turret may be a bit harder to do, as you probably will need to crash mold some new ones,

as the Mk III/IIIa had a twin gun bow turret and somewhat different stern turret from the kits offerings

I'm sure your Sunderland will look fine, I have seen some really nice builds on Britmodeler

this last year or so, where the builder hasn't gone the whole hog like me, but the model still can

look really nice

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Minor point - the Sunderland had NACA-type cowlings not a Townend Ring, which only covered the cylinders. You meant to the leading edge of the cowling, which acted as an exhaust collector because Bristol engines exhausted to the front, and the collector ring improved the aerodynamics of the flow. A very clever idea for the 1930s which cost a complete rebuild of the Centaurus engine when we had a look at an Fw190, which showed how to reduce the drag of a radial engine by tailoring rear-exit exhausts to fill the base drag area.

Minor point - the Sunderland had NACA-type cowlings not a Townend Ring, which only covered the cylinders. You meant to the leading edge of the cowling, which acted as an exhaust collector because Bristol engines exhausted to the front, and the collector ring improved the aerodynamics of the flow. A very clever idea for the 1930s which cost a complete rebuild of the Centaurus engine when we had a look at an Fw190, which showed how to reduce the drag of a radial engine by tailoring rear-exit exhausts to fill the base drag area.

Yes- Graham you are right, my slip up

These photo links give a good pictorial view

Sunderland Exhaust Collector ring

Sunderland Mk III exhaust

Regards

Alan

Alan a quick question, have you done anymore on your Sunderland, as I was really looking forward to the next instalment.

Apologies to Deacon for hi-jacking his thread.

Cheers

Jim

Alan a quick question, have you done anymore on your Sunderland, as I was really looking forward to the next instalment.

Apologies to Deacon for hi-jacking his thread.

Cheers

Jim

That's OK Jim, I wanted to ask him the same question. :D

That's OK Jim, I wanted to ask him the same question. :D

Hi Jim/Deacon

Thanks for asking- I hope to have an update this weekend of progress.

The last 4-5 monthe of 2010 were just not conducive to model building :raincloud::bristow:

I did get some done during the Christmas break so I'll update the build with what I have done then

and what I can get done this week.

Regards

Alan.