Spitfire Mk.22 propeller diameter?

Redboost

Hello,

can anybody educated advise the Mk.22's propeller diameter? My references are not clear enough, but I believe it should be the same as Mk.21, i.e. 3350 mm (sorry, I'm not familiar with your odd measuring units :D ).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Libor

Hi,

thanks. Anyway, that's exactly why I'm asking, various sources including web state various figures, so I thought somebody can prove that from a reliable source, not from the web.

Thanks

Libor

Spitfire 14 and 21 had propeller type R19/5F5 of 10' 5" (3175mm) dia. Mk 22 had R19/5F5. Mk 24 had Type R14/5F5 of 11' 10" (3606mm)dia.

John

Edited by John Aero

Bloomin 'Eck John,

That's what I call expert info! Very interesting as I have an Admiral Seafire 46, Spit 22 and 24 and they all have the same sized 5 blader! I presume that the 5 blade FR46 would use the same prop as the Spit 22 so I need to hang on to my Fujimi and Academy airscrews (or buy a superior Aeroclub unit maybe?!!!) for the 46 and 22 but which Aeroclub unit would suit the 24?

Bloomin 'Eck John,

That's what I call expert info! Very interesting as I have an Admiral Seafire 46, Spit 22 and 24 and they all have the same sized 5 blader! I presume that the 5 blade FR46 would use the same prop as the Spit 22 so I need to hang on to my Fujimi and Academy airscrews (or buy a superior Aeroclub unit maybe?!!!) for the 46 and 22 but which Aeroclub unit would suit the 24?

Simon,

I presume you are talking 1:72. My old 5 blader is of the smaller type and is now OOP. The 24 and the Seafang/Spiteful had the larger dia type. The 46 was the same as a Mk21. The props on the contra types were I believe 10' 5" dia front and 10' 4" rear.

Cheers

John

Edited by John Aero

Thank you John, that's an interesting info! My concern appeared when I checked a new Spitfire 22 kit, because the propeller diameter did not match the information I found in the Datafile Part 2: Griffon Powered Spitfires and 4+ Spitfire Mk.21/22/24 book; both state the Mk.21 (and I understand this apply to Mk.22 too) ) had a new 11 feet (3350mm) propeller. So that's why I'm curious who is right - the kit manufacturer or reputable books?

Cheers

Libor

The Mk.21 group was intended to use an 11' (even) prop, but I can't counter John's statement of prop types actually used. I doubt that 21s had the same diameter as the 14, as he states, though- I think that may have been unintentional? The 21 used the Griffon 61, while the 14 used the Griffon 65, which was created with a different reduction ratio because of the diameter limitation in the 14.

Also, the Sea 45 was equivalent to the Spit 21, while the Sea 46 normally had a contra.

bob

The Mk. 21 had the new wing and undercarriage of the 22-24, and besides being mounted further outboard, I believe these legs were longer to allow a larger diameter prop to be fitted to extract more power from the Griffon engine? Or was the 21 pressed into service quickly so there was no time for new prop blades? Alternatively, would the 22s have the longer prop blades only after being fitted with the enlarged Spiteful-tail and larger horizontal tails?

Jens

Edited by jenshb

The Mk.21 group was intended to use an 11' (even) prop, but I can't counter John's statement of prop types actually used. I doubt that 21s had the same diameter as the 14, as he states, though- I think that may have been unintentional? The 21 used the Griffon 61, while the 14 used the Griffon 65, which was created with a different reduction ratio because of the diameter limitation in the 14.

Also, the Sea 45 was equivalent to the Spit 21, while the Sea 46 normally had a contra.

bob

Yes . Bob is right I meant 45 not 46. However further searching has come up with a prop dia of 11' or 132" or 3352mm for the Mk.21 and I suspect that this will be the same for the 22. It seems to have the same propeller type but I came across an annotation R19 5F5/1 and /2. For modelling purposes I would go with a 27" dia (686mm) for the five blade Griffon spinner and a length of 32" (813mm) tip to backplate.

John

Edited by John Aero

• 1 year later...
My Seafire 47 drawings show the spinner @ 28"....front cowl shape @ 28.3"

Hi thanks for that, yes I solved this a while ago and you're quite right its 2 feet 4inches and this will be the same for all Griffon Spits.

regards

Graham

Been following this thread with some interest , so I decided to measure a couple of Spitfire props in my stock.

The prop for the 1/48 scale Airfix 22/24 , compared to the dimensions publised here , scales out at 70mm, the correct diameter for a F22, but is too small for a F24.

A Quickboost resin prop intended for the F22/24, scales out at 66mm, too small for a F22 or F24 , but accurate for a FXIV.

[ moral; resin is not always the best ]

Andrew

Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to let you know that some of the Cooper Details 1/48th scale Spitfire Mk.22/24 sets will be released under the Barracuda Studios brand in June (as in next month). One of those sets will be an accurate Prop and Spinner for the Airfix kits, complete with the later 11' diameter prop. These are the longer, narrower Jablo blades, not the short,wide 10'6" blades seen on the Mk XIV, although these may be coming down the road as well.

The sets have all been cleaned up, setup for more modern molding and in some cases slightly improved.

Happy modelling! Roy

Edited by Barracudadude

Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to let you know that some of the Cooper Details 1/48th scale Spitfire Mk.22/24 sets will be released under the Barracuda Studios brand in June (as in next month). One of those sets will be an accurate Prop and Spinner for the Airfix kits, complete with the later 11' diameter prop. These are the longer, narrower Jablo blades, not the short,wide 10'6" blades seen on the Mk XIV, although these may be coming down the road as well.

The sets have all been cleaned up, setup for more modern molding and in some cases slightly improved.

Happy modelling! Roy

Hooray! I have the prop / spinner set you did under the Cooper brand on my old 1/48 Airfix Spit 22 from first time round many years ago. It is a superb set that very much improved one of the few noticeable accuracy lapses of the Airfix tooling, i.e. the excessively chubby spinner. I am very much looking forward to buying a few more.

Hi Guys.

Happy modelling! Roy

YEAH !!!!

happy.

Olivier