1/72 Spitfire FR Mk.18e

I had an old Frog Spitfire XIV converted to a PR.XIX in the scrapheap. But now its back from the dead!

Its going to be a FR Mk.18e from 208 Sqn. Egypt 1949, painted in Dark Earth and Light Slate Gray.

The spine is from a late issue Spitfire IX/XVI.

The oil coolers needed som attention as well as the omitted "gull wing".

I hope to find a better canopy or use the one in the picture as master. Wheels shold be three-spoke but i have none in the spare parts box.

72201145143PMd39b.jpg

Edited by Syde_Burns

Making the old frog kit into a decent model is a brave attempt ! I'll keep looking at this !

Can I ask how you sorted the wing-fuselage fairing ? I remember this been very bad on the frog kit, with the wing roots meeting under the fuselage... while your model already has the part right.

I fixed it with the old reliable abrasive paper and scalpel and a 1/48 Spitfire XIV as reference. For the wing fairing i used another 1/72 spitfire as template. I used aluminium foil tape and cut out the pieces. Then the tape was moved to the FR Mk.18e!

Ahhh... I really like this! Old-fashioned modelling at its best. Here's a man who would not be daunted by a Jays kit! Keep posting.

(PM sent about the canopy)

I fixed it with the old reliable abrasive paper and scalpel and a 1/48 Spitfire XIV as reference. For the wing fairing i used another 1/72 spitfire as template. I used aluminium foil tape and cut out the pieces. Then the tape was moved to the FR Mk.18e!

A small update.

I wasn't satisfied with the bulges over the rockercovers on the kit. So i made new ones from evegreen, filler and a smal piece of sprue.

The level of detail in the wheel wells are non existant. Some scratchbuilding is needed!

Ed, I must say that a Jays kit looks fun to bulild! I have the High Planes Wirraway and it looks similar to the Spitfire kit.

One more to go, and some filler needed:

c9201180317PMd33b.jpg

2c201181008PM5748.jpg

Brilliant stuff!!!.

I had the old Frog XIV and flying bomb years ago and thought it the bog's dollox at the time.

I also was going to mention a pair of 3 spokers,but phatrev has beaten me to it.

Fancy an FR.18e myself,but I was going to use the Airfix PR XIX as a basis combined with a CMR e wing

and some other bits I have knocking about.

Mark