Swedish naval grey. Looking for info

Killingholme

Now here's a poser for you. Would anyone want to comment on the likely colour Sweden painted their naval aicraft (such as Heinkel HE-5/ Hansa S5) in the interwar period? Even the IPMS Stockholm colour charts omit pre-WWII colours.

(I'm building a Broplan vacform Hansa S5A. Coming along nicely actually- a suprisingly good kit in this vacform novice's opinion!)

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Hi Will!

The steelgray paint was changed over the years.

Steelgray (1923) slightly darker than FS36320

Steelgray (1933) lighter and more metallic than FS16165

Lightblue (floats) slightly greener than FS35450

S 5A markings during a big exercise in southerns Sweden, autumn 1935. The 4.bomb sqd. had a blue flying fish pinted on the fuselage during the exersice. "2" belonged to 1.reconnasaince section and had red markings as well.

fa201123845PM10e3.jpg

ca201124151PM32af.jpg

54201124601PMa886.jpg

Brilliant! exactly what I needed. I know nothing about Swedish aircraft of this period (except that Airfix may have signed some sort of contract with the Swedish government because many of their British aicraft kits included Swedish options.) This was why I bought the S5A, because I have a good stock of Tre Kroner markings and Swedish variously sized serials in the stash. I had no idea the floats were painted a different colour to the airframe- invaluable information.

Much appreciated.

Will

Edited by Killingholme