Post your builds here........

smuts

My first one - 1/32 Corsair II from Trumpeter. Lots and lots of weapons to choose from!

sluf.jpg

Tough choice from the Victory sheet, but it just has to no.2! NH400 from VA-195, "The Dambusters" from USS Kitty Hawk All four choices were involved in SEA

decs.jpg

Very good quality decals, 6 options also include the Corsairs last combat cruise during Desert Storm. Just noticed that the VA-25 has a green nose, but stay on target!

decs1.jpg

Really looking forward to this one.

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

Here's my two, both to be 161 (Indep) Recce Flight, Australian Army Aviation Corps.

This Italeri Sioux kit comes with the two types of skid as well as the floats and the Kiowa kit, which is the Esci kit reboxed by Italeri has three types of skid and two different tail booms.

Steve, hmm...helicopter's.. :wub:

DSCF2763.jpg

DSCF2764.jpg

Hi guys, here are my first entries to the GB & not a track in sight...........yet :analintruder:

both 72nd scale Airfix's still nice Birddog with Airwaves etch & Hasegawa's RF 101-C .....

100_0289-1.jpg

I think I'll be doing the 101 in natural metal, anyone know if there's any etch for it or resin bits?

Andy.........I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING....... :pilot:

Edited by smuts

Hi guys, here are my first entries to the GB & not a track in sight...........yet :analintruder:

both 72nd scale Airfix's still nice Birddog with Airwaves etch & Hasegawa's RF 101-C .....

100_0289-1.jpg

I think I'll be doing the 101 in natural metal, anyone know if there's any etch for it or resin bits?

Andy.........I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING....... :pilot:

Andy,

I think the RF101C's were in overall TAC grey by the time they were deployed to SEA, this was used as an anti corrosion treatment. I also believe they were amongst the earliest to get the SEA camouflage... ...hopefully somebody will be able to confirm that.

True Details do a nice set of resin seats for the F101 whilst Aeroclub did some in white metal.

IIRC Airwaves did an etched brass set for the RF101 whilst Eduard did a set for the F101B some of which may be useful for the RF101.

It's a nice kit that RF101 built one in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a nipper! IIRC its missing a control column in the cockpit, another thing to watch for is the axle or the nosewheels is offset so you'll have one slightly higher than the other unless you do something about that!

I can't remember whether somebody did a replacement undercarriage for it (in fact I've just checked Aeroclub did one which I believe pre-dates the Revell F101B so it may have been intended for either the Hasegawa or Matchbox kits), you might want to see if somebody's got the bits left over from the Revell F101B...

Good luck with it, I love both of these choices, both iconic images of the Vietnam war.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Here's my entry for the GB:

003.jpg

I decided to go for the Hun rather than the Hellcat.

Not sure which markings it'll be in, I have two choices - either "Pahokee Tiger" of 307TFS/31TFW based at Bien Hoa in 1965 from Modeldecal Sheet 3 (an oldie but a goldie) OR "Pretty Penny" of the 481TFS/27TFW based at Tan Son Nhut also in 1965 which is from Microscale Sheet 72-126 (also a golden oldie).

Both are in silver lacquer finish so I don't have to decide for a while yet!

The cockpit in the Trumpeter kit needs a bit of tarting up so I'll be getting the relevant Eduard set for this beastie.

I'll be using some bombs from one of the Hasegawa weapons sets as the weapons in the kit aren't right for a Vietnam era jet.

Wez

Edited by Wez

I've just got all my Vietnam stuff out of the stash, (not realising how much I have), and now I'm in a really quandry as I don't know what to build. I could do air, land and/or river, oh decisions, decisions. Still I suppose I've got 6 days to make my mind up.

Hi, I would like to take part with a MiG :whistle:

I will be building a MiG-17PF using the new KP Models kit (Re-box of old KP kit)

Here are the contents, plus Istvan Toperczer's MiG-17 and MiG-19 Units of The Vietnam War, an extremely useful resource for VPAF MiGs

P1010131.jpg

I will be adding detail to the cockpit and modifying a few pieces such as the canopy and the horizontal stabilizers to make it more accurate, sure will be fun avoiding sanding off those rivets!

Right, I think I'm decided on what to build now. First of all I'll ease my way back into building tanks with the Academy M551 Sheridan with Eduard external etch.

IMG_2572.jpg

Then I'm going to try my hand at a large diorama, (once I find a board big enough). This will consist of a river scene in which a "Pibber" has come across a civilian cargo boat. Very "Apocolypse Now", (I'm sure many will remember the scene). For this I'm going to be using the Tamiya 1/35 "Pibber" boat with Eduard etch, Eduard 50cal machine gun belts. Eduard ammo boxes, Verlinden general Vietnam stores, Verlinden M-16 rifles and M60 machine gun set, Verlinden Search and Destroy Team, and Verlinden 1/35 Vietnamese Cargo boat. Things may get added, depending on time as I also have the Dragon SEAL assualt boat and Verlinden Viet Cong boats.

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

So many planes to build… yet so little time

I haven't completed any model last year (despite entering a couple of GBs), so I shall restrict my entry to a couple of small FACs I managed to dig out from my own Vietnam War collection.

S6301502.jpg

S6301499.jpg

If I manage them both, I may add another giant slayer MiG-17 to accompany MiG Mongoose's build.

Giles

OK, here's my first:

Skyboxshot.jpg

Skydecals.jpg

I didn't know that I had the KMC LAU-3 pods... dont think I'll be using them on this build though. So the only 'addition' will be the Eduard Zoom set and a pair of LAU-10 pods from the ever-useful Hasegawa Weapons Set. I'll be building the VA-165 machine (the one at the top of the Aeromaster sheet). It was the sister squadron to the more well known VA-176 aboard USS Independance in late 1966.

Progress pics when, erm, I've made some progress ! :whistle:

AFN

Ian

Here's my choice for the GB, the Academy 1/72 F-8E Crusader, to be finished as a plane of VMF(AW)-235 based at Da Nang in 1967.

The reason for this choice is maybe unusual: I had built an Academy crusader before and it was the very first model I ever brought to a show (the IMSS show in Dublin). The model even got a commendation, something that I never expected. When I left Ireland the Crusader in the end stayed behind and since then I always wanted to build another one. One day while I was buying some paint in a local shop I saw the box and bought it immediately.

I'll be starting from this box:

box.jpg

And here's what's in the box, together with Superscale sheet 72-832 that will provide the markings. I bought the sheet here on BM some years ago and it's fitting to use it for a BM GB ! The original kit decals are shown too. These are not bad (apart from the white areas that are not opaque enough) and the VMF-333 markings with the green shamrocks are nice too. My original F-8 was done using these markings... very fitting for someone living in Ireland !

content.jpg

A look at the sprues and the superscale decal sheet:

sprues.jpg

Everyone who already built this kit knows what it's like: crisp panel lines, good detail and accuracy. The only part that really need a replacement is the ejection seat as the box includes a later version used on the french navy crusaders.

I'll build this pretty much OOB. The only modifications will be the replacement of the seat, the decals and lowering the flaps & slats. This is needed if the wing is shown raised. Now in reality parked crusaders usually have the wing down, but building a crusader without showing the variable incidence mechanism would be a pity...

Better pictures will be added when I start the build proper, together with a small history of the subject.

Staying on the Vietnam war subject, here's something a bit different that however I thought would fit nicely....

m14.jpg

The M14 was the rifle first used by US Army and USMC units in Vietnam. This is some kind of modelling project in a sense: it's actually a softair rifle that I'm slowly making more realistic with paint and adding various parts. I've repainted some parts already and added a sling (actually a M1 Garand sling as used early in the M14 career). The next step will be to carve a stock from real wood... And as soon as I get a new house I'll go through the pain of getting all the documents right to buy a real one.

Edited by Giorgio N

Here is my first build on BM, hope you guys like it.

Zvezda 1/72 MiG 21 Fishbed, with Pavla aftermarket resin cockpit, Printscale Vietnam decals and Begemot full stencil decal set.

SAM_0138.jpg

im not a great moddler, i dont have an airbrush, just good old fashioned paint brushes, patience and well....some more Patience,

either way, enjoy.

Edited by Moofles

Hi

Please count me in with the rather ancient Hasegawa LTV A-7A Corsair II. I will build it from the box with the kit decals for the CAG bird of VA-56 "Champions" (bureau no 152675).

April 29 and 30, 1975:

The USS Midway, with the A-7As of the "Champions" embarked, participated in Operation Frequent Wind which was the evacuation of American citizens from Saigon, South Vietnam.

a7a.jpg

Folks

I am in with a 1/32 Crusader .....the box decals have two options from the Nam era......undecided on which markings for now..........but this is the build.....

b.jpg

Rgds

Mr B

Hi Guys

I'm in with my Revell 1/32 Helicopter patrol. No AM goodies but will be scratching a few things.

DSCF3988-1.jpg

I have made a small start on the OH-6. I am hoping to have enough done to post some pics in the next couple of days. (I'm still trying to finish off my Whiskey Cobra's)

Cheers

Brenden

Hi guys, went to the LMS for some Tamiya acrylics (as you do :wicked: ) & these 2 shouted at me for the GB ...........

Tamiya's A1J & Italeri's B26K

100_0528.jpg

got some KMC LAU's & napalm tanks for the Spad as well as straps/harnesses

bugger forgot that paint too...........

Andy :frantic: