1:35 Tamiya Challenger 1 Mk 3 KFOR - Final Update 31.05.11 - Completed!

You Sir have a lot more patience than I do. very nice indeed.

Pete

Cheers Pete,

For some reason when I get the bit between my teeth on a project it's head down and off I go, worry not the next couple of builds will defo be OOB... :winkgrin:

Very nice, my Tamiya original Chally 1 feels so inadequate now lol

Chap thank you for looking, but it has to be said your chally is top dog, it captures the original BAOR issue spot on, the weathering is bang on! I was looking for an original Tamiya Mk1 to replicate the one I 'bent' (long story), but found this one and decided to do it as a KRH Op Agricola special, that's where it started to go a little pear shapped and I was off on one.

Chap thank you for looking, but it has to be said your chally is top dog, it captures the original BAOR issue spot on, the weathering is bang on! I was looking for an original Tamiya Mk1 to replicate the one I 'bent' (long story), but found this one and decided to do it as a KRH Op Agricola special, that's where it started to go a little pear shapped and I was off on one.

Thanks! But I like the detailing on yours better, I know its a different Mk of chally, so some of the details are probably different anyway, but you seem to have such a great eye for detail.

Mine was built a loooong time ago, when the original Tamiya chally was still brand new, and I was still cutting my teeth on the bigger 1:35 scale (having previously only built the old Matchbox and Airfix 1:72 aircraft and 1:76 military ranges).

To this day, I still refuse to buy aftermarket add-ons, preferring to use household items to detail my models with.

Well that's it finished construction wise. The front has been 'skippered' with the addition of some homemade light shields, power leads etc as well a couple of Eduard PE parts, the resin extinguishers are from AA and their fantasic quality, as per the norm, they set this off a little...

5672295666_45b99d70e5.jpg

5672296672_ef53e4227f.jpg

5672298684_2cc8cbfe8f.jpg

...the idler wheel adjusting nut was removed and a 2mm self pressed version made up. This is simple to do, just find an allen bolt with the desired size hex, then heat some spruce and when soft push it in, leave for 10 seconds and hey presto a nut!

5672297672_c4ed650456.jpg

The driver hatch has recieved the handles and opening latch...

5671728255_562c3f8bac.jpg

...the main gun has recieved it's PE and a bit of masking tape...

5672289002_a22dc2a167.jpg

5672289944_6976ff4793.jpg

..top tip if your adding strapping to PE do it, if possible whilst the PE is still on the fret, makes life easier in the long run. The gun is molded so that a NASTY seam line runs veritacally through the thermal sleeve reinforcer, but some time with 1000grit wet 'n' dry sorts that out nicley...

5672290872_d0c43bbe6b.jpg

...next the turret recived it's fire extinguisher...

5672291724_3a34c57a4f.jpg

...and the reinforcing stirp near the TOG sight housing was trimmed up...

5672292768_1c6a929203.jpg

...next the chain for the rear tools on the turret was replaced with a finer version and the antenna added, the best antenna's are from the very handy sandwich bag ties...

5672293714_35cd616886.jpg

...the wheel set are completed with some minor wear and tear, not all have been butchered, but it's worth while rubbing around the tyre to smooth them off...

5672301260_1aecde0751.jpg

...now the model sans front armour, which will like the gun, turret, tow bar and gimpy be painted separately...

5671733173_68d9617489.jpg

5671734071_896cfcda51.jpg

...I'm going to have a bash at this pre shading lark and see what the fuss is all about. Stay tuned...

Edited by benskipper

Absolutely cracking build- and great build thread as well- plenty of great pictures and tips- ideal for those of us with a couple of Challengers in the stash.. :whistle:

Thanks for sharing!

Well that's the priming completed. I use Halfords Grey Primer as it hides a multitude of sins :lol:. Next I had a bash at the pre-shade lark...an hour later and it was done. I used Citadel Chaos Black thinned to milk like consistancy to avoid cacking up the needle, something Citadel paint is very good at if its not thinned, and it did the job extremely well...

5675881651_46be62ae06.jpg

5676445564_3cefabef35.jpg

5675885849_d3356c40e3.jpg

..next job was to paint the armour inserts on the hull front, these, for some reason remained desert yellow (Tamiya XF59 is the best colour match here), on earlier armour the desert yellow had a bit more yellow to it, though that said some Buff coloured vehicles were about on Op Granby, so I reckon it was luck of the POL stores draw when it came to respray. Anyhow I used very LITTLE air and very LITTLE paint on these, and took my time, as opposed to my usual go at it like a fiddlers elbow approach. You know what what it worked! These two pieces took 10 minutes, so gawd only knows how long the rest will take?

5676452264_5c7a1b4c3f.jpg

5676449934_7e235a94be.jpg

To really make painting really interesting the remaining areas are green, so roll out the low tack masking stuff...

Edited by benskipper

Well the 'basic' paints cheme and camo are now completed!! After preshading I applied a coast of Tamiya XF61 dark green as a base coat, as it was rather too dark I mixed it with some XF59 desert yellow to produce a nice light green. after 3 hours with a fine airbursh this is what she looked like...

5699798678_3485f44fa7.jpg

5699228095_d8f91ee9bf.jpg

5699229847_abd44e09fe.jpg

5699231973_59b04709db.jpg

5699233935_04d9e72e8c.jpg

5699807976_5d2affbb4b.jpg

5699237593_cd8bc2a9e8.jpg

...next was the camo streaks. these were XF69 Nato Black. Note the lack of camo on the applique armour, this was normally taken out of stores and either painted green or left sand...

5699248649_6866d13406.jpg

5699246827_f06b86d07a.jpg

5699817308_786e78992b.jpg

5699815404_87a1e76fe6.jpg

5699813644_106b3d1c18.jpg

5699239393_813b5626ee.jpg

...next off the whole body is to sealed in a semi gloss varnish to protect the paint work.

Edited by benskipper

Looking better and better, I think it should be made compulsory for all armour modellers to have at least 1 Chally in their collection!

I think it should be made compulsory for all armour modellers to have at least 1 Chally in their collection!

Not got the money, not got the interest, not got the room, not got the money (mentioned twice for emphasis !)

Ian

Been following your build as I'm currently also building the same kit, however I'm not going quite so detailed as you - then again I've never driven one :)

I do have one question though, the squarish grille in this picture (is it the engine exhaust?):

5607310540_626ff86c9c.jpg

this is different from the part in my kit. Where did you come by this?

Thanks and keep up the superb work!

Edit: ahh, just found them on the A sprue, part 29 which the instructions say is not used. is there any reason you chose to use this instead of the normal part D2?

Edited by Kallisti

Been following your build as I'm currently also building the same kit, however I'm not going quite so detailed as you - then again I've never driven one :)

I do have one question though, the squarish grille in this picture (is it the engine exhaust?):

5607310540_626ff86c9c.jpg

this is different from the part in my kit. Where did you come by this?

Thanks and keep up the superb work!

Edit: ahh, just found them on the A sprue, part 29 which the instructions say is not used. is there any reason you chose to use this instead of the normal part D2?

Cherrs bloke. The Mk3 exhaust vent was placed facing upwards to make its presence more obvious, it also dispersed heat more efficiently lowering the IR signature significantly. Unfortunately the sidewards directed exhaust shrouds retained a huge amount of heat. There were also several unfortunate accidents with unfamilar troops/civilians touching the vents and roasting their hands. Another added bonus of the upwards facing vent was that when fuel was added to the exhaust to create a smoke shield it actually enveloped the vehicle creating it more efficiently as opposed to the one next to it (loads of comedy moments resulted from this distinct feature of the Mk1).

Some Mk1's were retro fitted this pattern vent prior to full Mk 3 fit so you could use it on an IFOR/SFOR Mk1 and it would look 'right'.

Hope this helps.

Edited by benskipper

Ok here's the final pics before I start weathering and adding stuff to her...

Scan052.jpg

...the barrel jacket is a mix of a range of vallejo colours ,airbrushed on. I watered these down with deionised water by 15% and then selaed it with a satin finish followd by a 50/50 mix of humbrol matt thinner and white spirit...

Scan051.jpg

...the scratched paintwork is merely Tamiya XF59 which has been applied by dipping the edge of plasticard in the paint and pressing it against the side, the other scrathes have been applied using that black packing foam you often get with delicate stuff..

Scan049.jpg

Scan050.jpg

...the chains were painted black and then given a few washes of raw umber before having the outer areas rubbed with a HB pencil...

Scan053.jpg

Scan054.jpg

Scan055.jpg

...all of the periscopes were rendered using a mirrored card from the local art shop. the red tinge is the anti flash/laser coating that is applied to prevent the crew being blinded by said light sources, the wipers are all from the Eduard PE Kit...

Scan056.jpg

...finally the tracks. These are the kit issued sets. First off they were sprayed matt black then the inner surfaces were sprayed Rover Aluminium, these was over sprayed with JSDF Brown and a final rinse of matt black heavily thinned. The whole lot was then sealed with matt varnish. To attach these I removed the front idler and threaded the track through the drive sprocket and around the side armour supports. The ends were sealed with a low temp soldering iron and pressed flat with a finger. Then the front idler was replaced and the end road wheels pushed into place to give the track tension followed by the remaining 4 wheels.

Completed build here

Edited by benskipper
  • Like 1

Yes, definately puts my own feeble efforts to shame lol Seriously, beautifull job so far, can't wait to see the final results :)

• 8 months later...
Ok here's the final pics before I start weathering and adding stuff to her...

Scan052.jpg

...the barrel jacket is a mix of a range of vallejo colours ,air............................................................

...finally the tracks. These are the kit issued sets. First off they were sprayed matt black then the inner surfaces were sprayed Rover Aluminium, these was over sprayed with JSDF Brown and a final rinse of matt black heavily thinned. The whole lot was then sealed with matt varnish. To attach these I removed the front idler and threaded the track through the drive sprocket and around the side armour supports. The ends were sealed with a low temp soldering iron and pressed flat with a finger. Then the front idler was replaced and the end road wheels pushed into place to give the track tension followed by the remaining 4 wheels.

Completed build here

Very nice build indeed. I am about to embark on a Kuwait 1991 version, so all knowledge/experience is useful. Looks like the pre-shading worked very well. Just trying to figure the correct amount of 'weathering' for Granby, i.e. the liberation/how many oil fires were messing things vs how much exhaust must have come out of the grilles. The warrior threw up some smoke - I saw them in Basra, but post Saddam. The Chally is much less known territory for me. Have to complete before 25 Feb! The race is on!

This thread was a fantastic inspiration to me as well when I built my Challenger 1 (link in sig). I look forward to seeing yours! I've got a Challenger 2 in the stash that I'm thinking would look great with the bar armour on it... Accurate Armour do a PE set for this but its £65 eek! When my share options get cashed in my might consider it :)

Edited by Kallisti