HMS Eagle 1:700 Fujimi

Greetings

I bought this kit several years ago and didn't progress past the flight deck for years until resurrected earlier in the spring. She is almost finished, just a little rigging and an Air Arm required. She will get some Venoms, seahawks and Whirlwinds in due course. Straight from the box with PE from Gold Medal Models generic UK carrier set. Very nice set of PE. The supplied air wing of Sea fires, Gannets and Wessex were quickly confind to the spare box! The colour instructions were in black and white and also Japanese so took my references from an Ark Royal cut away supplied by Navy News which was a great help and used a bit of imagination. The Green is a Fiat green from Halfords and the other paint was from Humbrol

Enjoy

Cheers now

Bob

029.jpg

031.jpg

033-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

• Like 8

• 7 years later...
On 12/31/2010 at 3:01 PM, moaning dolphin said:

She will get some Venoms, seahawks and Whirlwinds in due course. .... The supplied air wing of Sea fires, Gannets and Wessex were quickly confind to the spare box! =

Congrats! And just a little question - where can you get the 1/700 Sea Venoms and Seahawks from?

The Fujimi idea of mixing the 1950 Seafires (retired from FAA before the Eagle commission) and Sea Furies (also never used operationally from the Eagle deck) with the 1960s Wessex and Gannets is totally crazy.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
misprint found

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

White Ensign have an extensive range of 1/700 a/c including Seahawks and Sea Venoms. 

I regret to say - cannot find anything in 1/700 neither at WEM site nor at the Sovereign Hobbies :(

Cheers

Michael

• 1 year later...

What were the colours carried by HMS Eagle during the 1956 Operation Musketeer?

Fujimi says Light Gull Grey for the vertical surfaces, IJN Gray (whatever it is) for the "runway" and Dark Sea Grey for the rest of the deck (interesingly also the island horizontal surfaces are said to be in Light Gull Grey).

However the kit maker mixing the 1947 air wing with the 1962 one cannot be taken seriously, so what were the true colours?

There are some photos from the era with SeaHawks and Skyraiders on the deck, but I'm not sure whether they weren't colourised. If not, the runway colour looks like Dark Sea (or even the Ocean) Grey, but the service area displays some decidedly greenish hue, like the Dark Slate Grey or even the Extra Dark Sea Green. 

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

I already have looked at them, but the scheme wasn't uniform over the R05 long career.

For example the photos taken in the 1960s (with Buccaneers and SeaVixens) show the runway almost black (anthracite) with service area in some neutral grey.

That is why I ask the question about the 1950s period.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nice Build MD, I really like seeing good kits of the Eagle, I just wish one of the model makers would make a 1/350 model of her

My Dad served on her during the 1950's, and apart from his first ship, which he claimed was his favourite (HMS Cook), he always had a great big soft spot for Eagle, and it's nice to see you've done such a great job, as to the real Eagle, when she was towed into Cairnryan, it was really sad when I saw him standing watching her being dragged in, he had tears rolling down his face, he was so upset, we had to leave before she was moored