BAC Lightning F2A

Machado

Hi, all.

I'm building the Trumpeter's 1/72 Lightning F2A and I would like to know which color would be the most suitable for the interior, black or grey.

The instructions calls for grey but I was told that as the F2A is an upgraded version of the F2 they could had kept the black color for a while.

That makes me think if this couldn't be the case specially considering that the model will depict the NMF XN793/A 92 Sqn circa 1970.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Machado

F1/A, F2/A, T4, black cockpit. F3,T5, F6, grey cockpit with black bodge tape sealing the joins in the cockpit floor.

Welcome

agree

:post1:

I believe it should be black for the earlier lightnings and gray for the later

thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk is worth a look, said I can't add the link, say it not allowed

Dave

Hello Machado,

The F.1, F.1A and the F.2 all had black cockpit interiors, when the F.2 cockpit was modded to the F.2A standard (all F.2A's were converted F.2's) the scheme was changed to grey, this was carried through an all later marks.

It's also worth noting for the novice that the F.2A cockpit was a radical departure from the earlier marks and embodied the partial OR946 fit, this employed the IFIS system coupled with a much improved radar.

HTH,

JB.

Edited by Fmk.6john

:huh:

now I'm confused - so which is right for the F.2A? Scarlet, Zero and Darth with black, or John and Trumpeter with grey?? :frantic:

I'm erring towards grey, myself.......

Rick

Edited by Spad

:huh:

now I'm confused - so which is right for the F.2A? Scarlet, Zero and Darth with black, or John and Trumpeter with grey?? :frantic:

I'm erring towards grey, myself.......

Rick

Any references I have seen regarding the F2A (including contemporary modeldecal sheets) suggest Dark Admiralty Grey......so you can add Richard L Ward (and me I suppose) to the "Grey list"!

I was part of the RAFG 431MU team that did 80% re-wires of the Frightnings at Gütersloh in the early 70's and can confirm that the cokcpits were definitely Grey (Medium Sea Grey?) in colour.

Apparently they were planning to sell them to the Chilean Air Force but that was cancelled and most of the jets ended up as decoys at Brüggen and Wildenrath.

Cheers

XVTonker :pilot:

Hi folks

Happy New Year everyone, have a great year with a lot of good health and that perfect build may come true to all of us.

I am back to the workbench after a week off and I would like to thank you guys for all the inputs and the welcome. I just finished to adjust the Aires cockpit and now I am starting to paint these parts and will post some pictures when done.

Best regards,

Machado.