Airfix- lets see now

Mentalguru

What's all this breast-beating over the A-6? Where did the A-6A, only, come from? The latest catalogue, from Trumpeter's importers, shows kit no. 2249 as the A-6A, with 2250 as the A-6E, and both are listed as due this year.

Edgar

What's all this breast-beating over the A-6? Where did the A-6A, only, come from? The latest catalogue, from Trumpeter's importers, shows kit no. 2249 as the A-6A, with 2250 as the A-6E, and both are listed as due this year.

Edgar

Edgar

The A model has been the only one in the catalog until just recently and it has been announced for 3 years now. I wont be holding my breath to see it before 2008.

Mike

To hopefully bring an off-topic topic to a successful conclusion, and provide a little tit-bit of Intruder knowledge. There were four variants of the Intruder used during the Vietnam era, the A, the B, in its various mods, C/TRIM and later, the KA-6D. Two types of EA-6s, the A and the Prowler were used. I don't think the E came into service before 1974.

A nice -A from VA-95 or 52 with 30 Snake eyes would be nice Trumpeter. If anybody would like some more Intruder information, please let me know, I have the old Osprey book with loads of stuff about A-6s, I'm just waiting for that big kit coming, then I'll be in Tadpole heaven! It could be worse, they could have announced to release an A-6F(5 built) or -6G as the first issue

Joel

Edited by Bandagon 106

Joel

Well there ya go!! Who said you don't learn something new everyday?? Thanks for the info. I admit A-6 ignorance freely :)

I was honestly under the impression, maybe because of Matts post above that the A-6E was the most prominent version put into service. I now stand corrected.

I still hope Trumpy doesnt blow it :)

Mike

some years back airfix did do a nato weapons set with etched brass, which can still be found at various modelshows i think.

i got my two from one of the birmingham model shows [at the leasowes school] some years ago for £1 each, :o one of the

stallholders had gotten hold of an absolute shedload of the sets.

I picked one up the other day from evil bay for £8. There is one on Buy it now for £7... Don't all rush at once...

Well played

Thanks for bringing this thread back on track! :thumbsup:

No back to bellyaching about Airfix :poke:

Matt

P.S. love the poke smiley....there are a few places on other forums I could picture that being usefull! Right up there with the deadhorse!

Well played

Thanks for bringing this thread back on track! :thumbsup:

No back to bellyaching about Airfix :poke:

Matt

P.S. love the poke smiley....there are a few places on other forums I could picture that being usefull! Right up there with the deadhorse!

Right then....where were we?? Oh yeah, if Airfix does a SHAR I hope it is at least on par with the Lightning!! It better not be like the dumpy TSR.2!! :poo:

I just needed and excuse to use the poo hitting the fan smiley!!

some years back airfix did do a nato weapons set with etched brass, which can still be found at various modelshows i think.

i got my two from one of the birmingham model shows [at the leasowes school] some years ago for £1 each, :o one of the

stallholders had gotten hold of an absolute shedload of the sets.

I went to school there!!!! Never knew they held a Model Show.

Nige.

A&AEE Shar Bill? That's a new one on me! Any pics on line that you know of (don't have time to google just now, supposed to be on here working!!) What scheme did it wear - not full ripple was it?? :unsure:

Keef

They only wear "ripple" in a parallel universe!! Sadly!! :fraidnot:

It may have been a bit misleading of me to say that the A&AEE flew them - its probably more accurate to say that they loaned them from BAe or the FAA, they were returned to the Navy as soon as things got hot in the South Atlantic in '82.

The FRS1 was used for weapon's clearance - judging from photo's I've seen mainly the Sea Eagle, and wore standard EDSG over White, with full Royal Navy titles. I've noted photo's in various books (Modellers Datafle 11, World Air Power vol 6 Summer 1991) with some good photo's of these aircraft in these schemes, it appears that they used early production Shar's (XZ438/"38",XZ439/"39", XZ440/'40" XZ450/"50" with the last two on the fin.) The IFTU is another unit I missed, though this quicky assumed the 700A Sqn., title - which in turn ended up as 899 NAS.

Aaaaaawwwwwwww come on Bill!!! Your work has inspired me for years (I am not just blowing smoke up your bottom). In fact your Lightnings were the reason I actually started reading SAMI!! Kit bashing is a form of therapy!! See when you pull one off it makes people go oooohhhhh and aaaaaaahhhhhh over it!! Puts hair on your chest my friend.

On the SHAR, I forgot India!! Thanks for that. So now the Isles, Argentina and Indian modelers buy it :w***: as well as a few token Americans such as me!

Personally I think a Mirage IIIE or V would be the bees knees!!! Then again why would a British company do one of those Frenchy jets!??? :shithappens:

You flatterer you Mike!!!! Kit bashing is indeed a form of therapy, but I'm finding it more difficult to actually finish anything lately because of this. I'd just like a straight forward accurate SHAR to build without having to re-scribe, gouge out the plastic in the nozzles, or milliput, or sand, or add PE to...........

It'd be interesting to see what Heller are up to (if anything) over the next few years.....I'd assume that they could be concentrating their efforts on Mirages etc.,

They only wear "ripple" in a parallel universe!! Sadly!! :fraidnot:

It may have been a bit misleading of me to say that the A&AEE flew them - its probably more accurate to say that they loaned them from BAe or the FAA, they were returned to the Navy as soon as things got hot in the South Atlantic in '82.

The FRS1 was used for weapon's clearance - judging from photo's I've seen mainly the Sea Eagle, and wore standard EDSG over White, with full Royal Navy titles. I've noted photo's in various books (Modellers Datafle 11, World Air Power vol 6 Summer 1991) with some good photo's of these aircraft in these schemes, it appears that they used early production Shar's (XZ438/"38",XZ439/"39", XZ440/'40" XZ450/"50" with the last two on the fin.) The IFTU is another unit I missed, though this quicky assumed the 700A Sqn., title - which in turn ended up as 899 NAS.

Cheers Bill,

Thought I'd never seen a Ripple Shar - sadly! My fave scheme for the Seajet was when they were rolled out at St Athan after conversion to F/A 2's - standard scheme with photo calibration discs fore & aft - just a little different. And it would bring back happy memories of watching the test flights out of there. Great little noisy jet!

Keef

I agree entirely that a new series of really good Harriers would be wonderful, but I just have my doubts whether Hornby would think they'd be sufficiently popular to warrant the expense, when you look at all the Harrier kits that are already available. I'm sure they aren't particularly worried about whether the Airfix ones are the very best kits possible - they'll be more concerned about whether they sell or not. It really does intrigue me to wonder which subjects they'll decide are worth re-tooling.

As for the Limited Edition saga, I just don't buy the notion at all. Surely, if you spend a load of cash on a set of moulds, the only way you will ever get your money back is by pouring plastic through them. So if the Nimrod is confined to a relatively short run, it's sure to be produced again at some stage when the judgement is made that there's sufficient demand for more. Otherwise what do you do? Just leave the moulds unused? Doesn't make commercial sense - it'd be like buying a cow and not drinking/selling the milk! I would think that if Hornby get to a stage where all the Nimrods have been sold but that they don't think there's a big enough demand for another run, they'd just sell the mould to someone else. Either way, it comes back sooner or later just like every other kit does, unless something drastic happens to the mould in the meantime.

Regardless of my personal wishes for a whole range of distinctly non-commercial subjects which I'd love (but most people would probably hate!), I will be fascinated to see what direction Airfix do take. Personally I just hope that they don't start obessing about more WWII stuff... if I hear of another Spitfire or Bf109 (or some obscure Luftwaffe aircraft) kit I think I may have a breakdown! Not that I'm biased in any way...

Personally I just hope that they don't start obessing about more WWII stuff... if I hear of another Spitfire or Bf109 (or some obscure Luftwaffe aircraft) kit I think I may have a breakdown! Not that I'm biased in any way...

Amen to that Tim!! There are SO many other things to do than yet another Spitty or 109!! Lord knows they will get the fuselage length off by a pubic hair and everyone will be in a tizzy! I would also love to see some commercial stuff as well as some of the late mark Hunters in 1/48!! It would be cool if they did the AMX in 1/48 but that, like the SHAR has limited worldwide appeal in my opinion. I hear that Hasegawa is still sitting on thousands of T-4 boxings because it is simply just not popular other than in Japan.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh...... I got it!! 1/48 BAE Strikemaster or.....wait for it...... an Alpha Jet or ............a Draken!!!!! I would wet my pants!! :banghead:

I wonder how Airfix would get on with a straight release of some stuff that's been out of the catalogue for a few years? You know, Seafire 46/47, Lightning, Harrier GR3 and Hawker Fury come to mind in 48th as quick examples of potentially popular subjects to me but I'm sure a look over the prices stuff gain on Ebay would be an indicator.

Mind you, I'd love to see the SR.53 out again so I could get one for the stash without paying silly money but how popular a subject is that likely to be? :shrug:

Harrier T2/4 might go a bit better though.

Cool! Thanks for the link Peebeep, even though I can't understand a word the general jist looks good, that Landy with Gromit and the sheep is a must-have :lol:

Now for me ,

most of us are/may be of an age? To have been weened on Airfix from Woolies et all, progressing to those often fabulous box art Revell/Monogram kits?

Even as a xx year old I thought what about.....!

So now being older but not always wiser, Mr Airfix(Hornby) please I would love to see in new tooling(s),, (and apologies for duplications)

1:72

Avro York

Avro Manchester

VC-10

Herecles

Argosy

Beverley

Brittannia

HS.748

DC/KC.10

B727,737,747,757,767,777

A318,319,320,321,330,340,380

1:48

Valiant

Victor

Vulcan

TSR2

Sea Vixen

B-2

B-47

B-52

Short Sterling

Lincoln

Shackleton

Constellation

A-7 2 Seater

Tucano

S.A Bulldog

Chipmunk

Gnat

1:24

Mosquito

Lancaster/Manchester/Lincoln/Shackleton

Halifax/Halton

1:32

F-100F

F-101

F-102

F-104 2 Seater

F-106

A-7 2 Seater

Hunter T7/T8

EE Lightning any/all of them

Bae Hawk (all mks)

Tornado F3

Typhoon single and two seater.

F-16B/D

F-4K/M FGR.1/FGR.2

Buccaneer

Jaguar

Mosquito

Vampires (all Mks)

Meteors (all Mks)

Venoms (all Mks)

That should keep me going till... oh dear

This is the last will and testament........................ What a Collection he had

One Day? La La la La La

I wonder how Airfix would get on with a straight release of some stuff that's been out of the catalogue for a few years? You know, Seafire 46/47, Lightning, Harrier GR3 and Hawker Fury come to mind in 48th as quick examples of potentially popular subjects to me but I'm sure a look over the prices stuff gain on Ebay would be an indicator.

Mind you, I'd love to see the SR.53 out again so I could get one for the stash without paying silly money but how popular a subject is that likely to be? :shrug:

Harrier T2/4 might go a bit better though.

Dunno about the GR3 Col - you can still pick them up brand new at shows for a fiver! (unless they finally shifted them all at Yate this year that is!!)

I agree with the SR53 & hope the rumours come true! And I'm sure they'd sell more than a couple of 72nd Buccs if they re-issued it......

Keef

Edited by keefr22

On the assumption that the TSR2 was a commercial success (which I guess it must have been as it sold out), what about a 1/72 (as 1/48 is too much to hope for) British "what if" series rather like the Revell Luft 46 series? P1154, P1121, Avro 730, Fairey Delta III etc. Ok, I know this is never going to happen but it is nice to dream...

On the assumption that the TSR2 was a commercial success (which I guess it must have been as it sold out), what about a 1/72 (as 1/48 is too much to hope for) British "what if" series rather like the Revell Luft 46 series? P1154, P1121, Avro 730, Fairey Delta III etc. Ok, I know this is never going to happen but it is nice to dream...

sometime soon freightdog models should have their P1154 ready, though i am not sure if it will be ready for SMW. photos of

a test shot were in the latest issue of SAMI.

the only game in town for a P1121 is the whirlybird reissue of the maintrack kit, but at least they added some resin bits in the

shape of a intake, basic cockpit and undercarriage bay to in. yup! an all resin P1121 would be nice but very unlikely.

i hope airfix put to bed their 1/72 tornado kit, <_< its still the stuff of nightmares.

1/72 kits of the swift and the scimitar would both be much appreciated.

As for the Limited Edition saga, I just don't buy the notion at all. Surely, if you spend a load of cash on a set of moulds, the only way you will ever get your money back is by pouring plastic through them. So if the Nimrod is confined to a relatively short run, it's sure to be produced again at some stage when the judgement is made that there's sufficient demand for more.

But what IF the load of cash spent on the moulds IS being recovered on this initial batch of Nimrod's(or indeed was recouped on the TSR2 limited run)?

IF (and I don't know if this is the case or not) it does and I'm assuming that Airfix/Hornby have done their sum's, then "Limited Edition" makes perfect sense.

I don't doubt that there'll be future issues of both the TSR2 and Nimrod -in one form or the other, but if the moulding costs have by then been re-paid in this initial "Limited Run", then it means the kits will generate even greater profit on subsequent run's?

Aaaaaawwwwwwww come on Bill!!! Your work has inspired me for years (I am not just blowing smoke up your bottom). In fact your Lightnings were the reason I actually started reading SAMI!! Kit bashing is a form of therapy!! See when you pull one off it makes people go oooohhhhh and aaaaaaahhhhhh over it!! Puts hair on your chest my friend.

On the SHAR, I forgot India!! Thanks for that. So now the Isles, Argentina and Indian modelers buy it :w***: as well as a few token Americans such as me!

Personally I think a Mirage IIIE or V would be the bees knees!!! Then again why would a British company do one of those Frenchy jets!??? :shithappens:

Need a fair old bit of smoke to do that mate. Best off using chocolate biscuits, he's more responsive after a hobnob or two! :winkgrin:

I agree entirely that a new series of really good Harriers would be wonderful, but I just have my doubts whether Hornby would think they'd be sufficiently popular to warrant the expense, when you look at all the Harrier kits that are already available. I'm sure they aren't particularly worried about whether the Airfix ones are the very best kits possible - they'll be more concerned about whether they sell or not. It really does intrigue me to wonder which subjects they'll decide are worth re-tooling.

It will be intriguing, especially given Hornby's "track (no pun intended) record". Their first A3 (aka"Flying Scotsman") loco was issued what 20-25 years ago? Its has been re-tooled (at least once, maybe twice) and in its latest form is light years ahead in terms of quality to its predecessor. You have to take your hats off to them, they've also issued a "less detailed" version (an earlier mould maybe?) and are catering for both ends of the market. This proves that they are not scared of re-tooling - and re-investing - where necessary - the "Flying Scotsman" would sell in either form.

Another thing to consider is the state of some of the Airfix moulds inherited by Hornby. Taking their 1/72nd scale Lightning F3 for example. Last time I saw a "new" version of this, it was obvious that the mould had seen better days (in its 40 year old life!). As a (presumably) "best seller" then it would seem an ideal candidate for a new tool - or even buying in someone else's?

Need a fair old bit of smoke to do that mate. Best off using chocolate biscuits, he's more responsive after a hobnob or two! :winkgrin:

I know I'm getting on a bit, but I really don't remember you blowing chocolate biccies up me aristotle! You didn't use one of your date drug thingies did you Greg? :analintruder:

But what IF the load of cash spent on the moulds IS being recovered on this initial batch of Nimrod's(or indeed was recouped on the TSR2 limited run)?

That was exactly the senario behind the Nimrod under the old management (I wish I could find that flyer) - IIRC what was said at Telford was if the advance orders were not sufficient to break even/ make a profit, the no Nimrod