Airfix- lets see now

Mentalguru

There are quite a few differences, but most are not visible. I've got about 3,000 hours flying J31/32s and have more reference material than you can shake a stick at if you're ever looking at doing a conversion. I have a really nice set of decals for the USAir Express 31s I used to fly, but just need a nice kit for them.

Getting back to the main topic, I'd love to see a nice Scimitar. Sure there were less than 100 built, but as the RN's first nuclear bomber it does have some significance. Plus it's one of the best looking jets ever built IMHO.

Nice to see pilots build models too! I always wanted to be one but the only stuff I fly is on a computer!

The Airfix Jetstream I've got is probably going to be done as the kit supplied C-10 prototype as used in the first episode of the TV series UFO, but only if I can get another before I start because the kit seems kind of rare at the moment. Seeing as you've flown the real thing, just how covered in rivets are they in real life? I should have paid more attention when I've been to airshows! The kit's totally covered in them and I was going to remove the lot. Message to Airfix, I'll have four at least if you reissue or probably ten if it's a new tool!

Love the Scimitar too, very overlooked by kit manufacturers, it looks great from any angle. 1/72 & 1/48th would be nice. I think frog were going to do one but went belly up before they got very far. The only ones I can remember were a vacform from Skybirds 86 and , I think, a limited run from Magna or Merlin. There might have been a 1/48th vacform too?

Here's some more suggestions for Airfix.

1/24th Argentinian A4B/C to go with my Falklands Sea Harrier and GR3. A good mould design and you can do all the later versions too.

1/24th Agentinian Mirage/Dagger for the same reasons as the A4.

1/48th Lynx Army and Navy versions

1/48th Puma

1/48th Scout & Wasp

1/48th Sycamore preferably Royal Navy Rescue version (I love the movie of Alistair McClean's When Eight Bells Toll!)

1/48th Whirlwind chopper, early (piston) and late (turbine) versions.

1/48th DHC-6 Twin Otter with float, ski, wheel options

1/48th Beech 18 (with a floats option)

1/72nd new tool F-80 & T33

1/72nd new tool Meteor III, IV + others

1/72nd Embraer 312 Tucano (will probably sell well in South America!)

1/72nd BAC 111, Boeing 737, VC-10 & Super VC-10 (Civil & Military versions)

And on the subject of 1/24th Mossies, I'd love one but it's just too big!

1/48th Sycamore preferably Royal Navy Rescue version (I love the movie of Alistair McClean's When Eight Bells Toll!)

Excellent choice!!! One of my all time favourite films - probably because of the search sequence with the Sycamore! Lost count of the number of times I've watched the film on video! I'd definitely have one of those!!

And to add to your excellent wish-list of 48th scale choppers I'll add a new tool Wessex family - if Revell won't re-issue theirs it leaves the door open for Airfix!!

Keef

How could I have left out the Wessex? :doh:

And I wouldn't mind a 1/48th Westland Commando and Sea King too!

A new Gazelle would be good too (1/72 & 1/48th)

Also, for putting inside all these choppers, how about some 1/48th Army & Marines figures (plus some US troops as well).

I've got When Eight Bells toll too and I still watch it every time it's on telly as well!

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

C'mon who doesn't love Mossies?

er... (*puts hand up*) :lol:

Tim

I am right there with you. The Mossie had the single least attraction to me other than the Mustang than any other WWII aircraft. Give me a mean, short nosed Beaufighter anytime!!

As far as polls go, I think they are hogwash. For years, yes literally years, the 1/48 RA-5C dominated the Finescale Modeler yearly most wanted poll. Trumpy comes out with one and nothing. It was like hearing crickets chirp. Was it riddled with problems?? Sure the canopies were screwed (most of trumpys are) but otherwise a sound good kit. Price point I am sure swayed people off but that being said, it retails for what 65 USD?? A 20 plus year old Hasegawa 1/48 Hornet retails for the same amount! Maybe its the markings choices?? The Viggie had what 12 squadrons total with something like 3-4 airframes each??

I dont have the answers but I can honestly say that the Trump Viggie in particular sticks out because of the clamoring to get one. I have seen a total of exactly one built and that was on line.

If Airfix was smart they would look at what the market would bear, not what a minority of modelers want. Accurate Miniatures lost that battle too with the Yaks, Sturmovicks, Gulfhawks and now look where they are. Dont listen to polls Airfix!!!

Mike

What about a 1/48 Westland Whirlwind fighter?

I'd certainly take one of those!

I suspect Xtrakits are likely to do a lot of what I think Airfix SHOULD do...

Airfix could license the tools for the Inpact Fury, Bulldog and Gladiator, and knock them out with excellent quality, well-researched decals.

A 1/48 Hunter, executed to the quality of the Lightnings, before Revell does it.

A 1/48 JP/Strikemaster family

1/48 late Meteor family

Essentially, capitalise on the positioning of the Airfix brand as essentially British, and the enthusiasm of those of us of "a certain age" for 50s-70s British aircraft... in 1/48 and 1/72. Oh, damn... that's what Xtrakits are doing...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

From one of your resident ugly Americans my 2 cents (or is that 2 pence)

32nd Hawk - If Airfix wants to jump aboard the 32nd bandwagon, here is a perfect choice. Small (i.e. should be cheap) lots of users, and the Red Arrows. Especially if done by the Olympics it should be a pretty good seller. Aim it like Hobbycraft seems to be with thier 32nds under $40 USD more or less, let the aftermarket guys go wild with the updates.

Quarter scale...for the enthusiasts. Get the outlines right and if the cockpits are passable so be it. The AMS crowd will replace with resin no matter what comes in the box.

48th A full Hunter Series, lots of variants, lots of users, was used in action by a few. Do the early ones, for the 1950's aerobatic teams and Suez, and twin seaters first and then the FGA 6 and FGA 9. There is always the possibility that RoG would do thier kits in 48th and by doing the F-1 thru F-5s first as well as The twin tubs they'd get a good return on investment before the market gets flooded with the RoG and Academy FGA-6s and 9s.

48th A Meteor Series Same critera for being worthy as the Hunters.

48th Vampires and Venoms. The Hobbycrafts are obsolete, Classic Airframes are expensive and The Aeroclubs which I gather are the most accurate are limited run and not really for those of us who just like bashing styrene. Keep them cheap, around the Spitfires costs and they should do well. This would be the last of the 50's jet series I'd do as most of those who even know what a Vampire or Venom are would probably have the others in thier stash even if not built.

48th First Generation Harriers, replace the 20+ year old molds with new ones

48th Helos, the Lynx and Wessex both sound good. If Italeri can break even with 48th helos there must be a market out there.

Further down the line, Javelins, Sea Vixens and such IF Trumpeter doesn't steal a march and get them to market first.

WW II Other than a Blenheim I really don't have a good idea what is still left to do, other than as a replacement for the Classic kits. I have seldom heard of those actually being built, or if they have been you NEVER hear of a second one!

48th Tornados - see Harriers

Repops of the Jag and Buccaneer I wouldn't do new molds as we have heard rumblings of Trumpeter doing 32nds and if they sell would not a 48th Hobbyboss version be too far behind?

72nds which are not really my cup of coffee...err...tea the whole of Bomber Command is possible, new tools of Stirlings, Halifaxes, Whitleys even Sunderlands maybe. If RoG can do a new tool Lanc for under $30, reasonably priced 72nds should be possible. maybe even Canberras, scale down the 48ths after they have hit The market.

As for Ships how about the new CVFs HMS Queen Elizibeth and HMS Prince of Wales in 700th scale. Time to abandon 1/400 and 1/600 scales and do the scales everyone else is doing.

All in all it'll be fun to see what comes out of 21st Century Airfix over the next couple of years.

Matt

Limited run kits, nowhere near the production numbers or market reach of a mainstream company.

True but Airfix also stopped the TSR and is limiting the Nimrod. Like Airfix, CA can repop the Whrrlwind anytime. In fact they did two runs already and I am afraid an Airfix kit will run close to 50 USD as well.

Just my two pence worth :)

Mike

True but Airfix also stopped the TSR and is limiting the Nimrod.

Two kits, and done as limited productions items for a reason. Unlike CA though, the Canberras will not be limited runs

Like Airfix, CA can repop the Whrrlwind anytime. In fact they did two runs already and I am afraid an Airfix kit will run close to 50 USD as well.

They well may do Mike, but their production runs are still not going to be in the same numbers.

32nd Hawk - If Airfix wants to jump aboard the 32nd bandwagon, here is a perfect choice. Small (i.e. should be cheap) lots of users, and the Red Arrows. Especially if done by the Olympics it should be a pretty good seller. Aim it like Hobbycraft seems to be with thier 32nds under $40 USD more or less, let the aftermarket guys go wild with the updates.

Airfix don't have pedigree of 1/32 aircraft kits, but 1/24... now would that not be a thing of beauty in that scale?

Funny thing is Matt, I agree with what you say about keeping the price low and affordable, and letting the aftermarket guys go wild, that's what they did with the 1/48 Hawks.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

How about this?

A new Griffon-engined, high back fuselage to go with the newer "E" and "C" wings in the Spitfire IX kit. And since we're also including the Spitfire Vc wings in the box, we're a lot of the way to a MkXII.

Then a new bubble canopy Griffon and you've filled all the gaps between the MkIX and the Mk21.

John

Regardless of personal wishlists, I still can't imagine what direction Airfix will take, although it's good to hear that they at least have the intention to pay attention to British subjects and also the concept of retooling older kits. However I have to wonder how long these intentions will be maintained once they gain first-hand experience of what turns-in a profit and what doesn't.

I suppose the most potential lies in the prospect of developing their 48th scale range, given that they've already got so much in 72nd scale. But even in this bigger scale it's hard to identify subjects that would guarantee healthy sales, as the obvious ones have already been tackled. Although it would be expensive, I suppose a 48th scale Vulcan would be a fairly safe investment and as I said previously, a 32nd scale Hawk would seem sensible if they have any taste for even bigger kits.

Putting aside my own wishes, I would think a 72nd Shackleton would be a good choice and maybe the Hastings. A VC10 sounds good but it wouldn't have that great an appeal to more casual buyers, unless there was some interest in expanding the range of 72nd airliners to follow-on from the Connie and 707 (which I guess might still be held by Heller in any case?). A 72nd Viscount must be a good idea on this basis, and a BAC111 too. The Andover/748would have lots of civil and military appeal as would a Comet and Britannia to a lesser extent. The 146 might have some general appeal too, maybe with a 72nd Her Maj on the sprue plus corgis?!

As for re-tools, the 72nd Lightning must be the most obvious candidate, as would be the Canberra, although I'm sure the concept of scaling-down the new 48th kits must be an option. The 72nd Hawk isn't bad but maybe it has enough potential to be re-done. Although the older subjects bore me to tears, I can't even see much point in re-tooling anything much from the WWII era as there is so much available elsewhere.

Apart from these subjects, I can't think what really sticks-out as a subject which would either have enough appeal to sell in sensible numbers, or that hasn't already been kitted elsewhere. On this basis I suppose we might be in for some complete surprises but if so, I hope they're good ones!

First I have to apologise to Airfix for saying, earlier in this thread, that their Jetstream kit is covered in rivets. It isn't, I dug it out of the pile and it's hardly got any at all. Just on some oval panels on the wing underside. :sorry: It has quite fine raised panel lines but the cabin windows are pretty bad.

Now a question for Jonathan Mock. When can I buy two of these Airfix 1/48th Whirlwind fighters you mentioned? :wicked: Oh and I'll have a couple of 1/24th Hawks as well please!

Paul Harrison

:poppy:

True but Airfix also stopped the TSR and is limiting the Nimrod. Like Airfix, CA can repop the Whrrlwind anytime. In fact they did two runs already and I am afraid an Airfix kit will run close to 50 USD as well.

Just my two pence worth :)

Mike

Mike

There is a couple of differences with what how Airfix class limited. The moulds for TSR2 & Nimrod aiill be to the same standard as any of their recent kits and not limited to a few thousand or so before they wear out or are then revised to create a new version as the lomited rin kit producers do. The Airfix moulds are full mainstream moulds.

What Airfix are classing as 'limited' is that the kits on the issue are done in one big production batch who size is dictated by the number of pre-sales. Once this order is completed the mould is then put into to storage until a re-issue is scheduled. Their mainstream kits on the other hand are produced in regular smaller bactcher during its duration in the catalogue, these runs may be upto say 10k for the first run to meet demand and then regular follow up runs of say anything from a 1k to 3k to restock shelves to meet the regular demand. Once sales drop and the stuff starts to stay in warehouse then production stops and the kit will probably be withdrawn from the next years catalogue allowing the remaining stock to be cleared.

TSR2 will be re-issued at some point in the next 4-5m years and Nimrod in the next 10 in one form or another if demand warrants it. Don't forget the cost of creating a new kit is normally absorbed in the first run, after that the mould has paid for itself and later issues can be only incur the cost of a new preoduction run of whatever size so smaller special runs become more viable.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

Excellent points you make. Sometimes it takes another person putting things into perspective to let one see throgh the forest through the trees so to speak.

In the end, I will be happy for anything Airfix releases. I have always had a soft spot for them and will support them with my hard earned money at every turn....except for the TSR.2 as I will build my Dynavector 1/48 one someday......someday :)

Cheers

Mike

Mike

There is a couple of differences with what how Airfix class limited. The moulds for TSR2 & Nimrod aiill be to the same standard as any of their recent kits and not limited to a few thousand or so before they wear out or are then revised to create a new version as the lomited rin kit producers do. The Airfix moulds are full mainstream moulds.

What Airfix are classing as 'limited' is that the kits on the issue are done in one big production batch who size is dictated by the number of pre-sales. Once this order is completed the mould is then put into to storage until a re-issue is scheduled. Their mainstream kits on the other hand are produced in regular smaller bactcher during its duration in the catalogue, these runs may be upto say 10k for the first run to meet demand and then regular follow up runs of say anything from a 1k to 3k to restock shelves to meet the regular demand. Once sales drop and the stuff starts to stay in warehouse then production stops and the kit will probably be withdrawn from the next years catalogue allowing the remaining stock to be cleared.

TSR2 will be re-issued at some point in the next 4-5m years and Nimrod in the next 10 in one form or another if demand warrants it. Don't forget the cost of creating a new kit is normally absorbed in the first run, after that the mould has paid for itself and later issues can be only incur the cost of a new preoduction run of whatever size so smaller special runs become more viable.

Cheers

Geoff

Not a personal must have, but a completely off topic thought that occured to me whilst decalling my Corsair recently.

How about kits of the Bristol Buckingham, Brigand and Buckmaster. Of the 3, the Brigand is probably best known for its role in the Malaya Emergancy, where it served as a ground attack aircraft. Has there ever been a kit, in any scale by any manufacturer of any of these three Bristol twins? Not currently my area of modelling interest, but a suggestion nontheless.

Joel

Thanks Richard,

Like I said, it's not my (current) cup of modelling tea, but something I had wondered about. Strange that these aircraft don't seem to be mentioned, because they look pretty good, almost a British Pe-2 but more rounded

Joel

Thanks Richard,

Like I said, it's not my (current) cup of modelling tea, but something I had wondered about. Strange that these aircraft don't seem to be mentioned, because they look pretty good, almost a British Pe-2 but more rounded

Joel

I have a 72nd scale Brigand in resin by Magna ,needs work but then that can be said of many kits both Mainstream and "Limited "

except for the TSR.2 as I will build my Dynavector 1/48 one someday......someday :)

Mike

We should have a 2 man group build :wicked:

Williams Bros have recently re-issued their C-46, & by all accounts it's a pretty fair kit

I've got one of the original issue, and apart from being a bit 70s Airfix basic, it's nice enough. New cockpit glazing, some engine fronts & props, and it'll pass muster ;)