newbie with a badger 200-3

steveo3002

hey all newbie here

just back into modeling and want to spray a 14" long model car , ive found a badger 200-3 kit that i was given as a teenager and never used . will this be reasonbly okay to spray a car that size ? it states it has the meduim needle that does 1.6mm -38mm fan

i realise its not the greatest airbrush around , but i dont have the funds to buy another one so would like to use this

any hints or tips for its use would be great ..i have a full size diy compressor to hook it up to

hey all newbie here

just back into modeling and want to spray a 14" long model car , ive found a badger 200-3 kit that i was given as a teenager and never used . will this be reasonbly okay to spray a car that size ? it states it has the meduim needle that does 1.6mm -38mm fan

i realise its not the greatest airbrush around , but i dont have the funds to buy another one so would like to use this

any hints or tips for its use would be great ..i have a full size diy compressor to hook it up to

The Badger 200 is one of the best airbrushes for modellers even with 14 inch cars. Your big problem is learning to spray gloss paint, first you need the paint very thin and as you will need the needle fairly wide open for a model that size you will need a mask and good ventilation. you need to mount the body shell on an old wire coat hanger so you can handle the model while spraying, lay on very thin layers in a room with a temperature of 65-75 degrees and by the time you have the first coat on, where you started will be ready for a second coat.

You will need to practice a lot to get it right so don't be dissappointed at your first try.

PS keep your air pressure down to 20-25 PSI max

Ted

Edited by tedtaylor

Painting cars is utterly dependent on choice of paint. You have to be very careful if you use acrylics, but enamels will dry hard, can be carefully flatted back, and polished to a great shine, or just finished with a very thin wet coat.

The airbrush is just the means of delivering the accident

i was thinking tamiya acrylic paints...beacuse i can buy them over the counter and they dry fast

i actualy want a low sheen metalic silver, i will need to mask it and paint on a fine stripe afterwards

In that case, you want to be applying very thin coats, and allowing each coat to really dry (hairdryer perhaps?) between coats, and leave for a long while before attempting to polish etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Shesto are ths importers, the spares for your brush:

http://www.shesto.co.uk/Airbrushing-Badger...oduct_info.html

Not sure if you can change or not, drop them a line and they will advise you.

You can't change to a gravity feed, you can put a 7ml open cup that fits in the botttom of the brush. They do have a tendancy to spill paint...

yeah i think i need the little cup

where i have a few tins of paint , i dont want to thin a whole tin to put in the pot , or if it needs mixing for a certain shade , with the little pot i can put a couple of brush fulls in for small bits

is the importer always cheapest?

yeah i think i need the little cup

where i have a few tins of paint , i dont want to thin a whole tin to put in the pot , or if it needs mixing for a certain shade , with the little pot i can put a couple of brush fulls in for small bits

is the importer always cheapest?

With the small cup I'd use a pipette to just put a few drops in there, remember the end of th paint tube needs to be covered to suck the paint up into the airbrush.

Not sure who is the cheapest for this item, the cup has always been relatively expensive. I think I paid £7 for one about 15 years ago, I think they are about a tenner now.

Worth having a look on ebay..

Hi Steve,

I use a Badger 150 medium needle. As Paul says its take time to clean. I use the 1/4 oz gravity cup, carefully partially filled. The 200 is good as its a single action internal mix brush. There are large needle for 200 u have to change the head assy too. U can buy a extra bottle for cleaning. watch out for the head spray regulator for paint build while sparying for long periods. Clean inbetween to avoid drop splatters.

Cheers,

rishi

Hi Steve,

I use a Badger 150 medium needle. As Paul says its take time to clean. I use the 1/4 oz gravity cup, carefully partially filled. The 200 is good as its a single action internal mix brush. There are large needle for 200 u have to change the head assy too. U can buy a extra bottle for cleaning. watch out for the head spray regulator for paint build while sparying for long periods. Clean inbetween to avoid drop splatters.

Cheers,

rishi

Hi Steve,

I use a Badger 200 with the 1/4oz side cup. I made a lid for it from plastic card in two laminations. One is a push fit into the rim of the cup and the top lamination is larger than the rim so I can get it off. I've drilled a smal hole at the edge through both layers to allow air to enter.

This brush was a Christmas gift when I was 14 and that was a long time ago.

Until I explained further, my friends couldn't understand why my parents had given me a hairbrush for Christmas...

Anyway it has served me well although like Trigger's broomstick its had a couple of head and needle replacements plus the seals in the air valve assembly seem to swell up and block the airflow after a few months in the box.

I'm sure there are better and more efficient airbrushes out there but this one suits me and my pocket just fine.

Hannants have the 1/4oz colour cup for £9.60. Badger 200 colour cup @

Phil.