1:600 Ark Royal

AI50070.jpg

My box is fairly badly damaged so I have decided just to pluck an image from the internet of the Airfix set that I have.

I have already sealed the hull and started painting some parts, I'll upload a picture of how she looks in an hour or so however it should be an intresting build to join the other ships I intend on building in the next few days..

And one could argue that her fame led to the scuttling of the Graf Spee, she is an impressive vessel and the kit includes the stringbags and I have bought in 1:600 RNAS decals for them! kinda tossing up the idea to get the etching details... never worked with them so I don know what to expect with them.

Edited by RAF Colonel

This is all I have done so far

PICT0895.jpg

PICT0896.jpg

RNAS decals

PICT0893.jpg

PICT0894.jpg

Well first thing I need to do is modify the hull, the real Ark had an armour belt around the middle of each side of her hull, it was designed to protect against heavy duty shelling however it proved no match to a U-boats torpedo which inevitable lead to her sinking, so I need two pieces of card in this case bits off a selection pack box will do the job once that's done, I'll work on the propeller shafts and rudder.

However expect part one around monday....

PICT0908.jpg

Apologies about the glare from the camera flash, looks quite cool in this pic!

PICT0909.jpg

PICT0910.jpg

PICT0907.jpg

Its not much its the Armour belt, right now the carriers hull is getting a repaint in that lovely underside ship iron oxide red (I think)! Off camera the Prop blades have been painted in their brass and are sitting drying, one they are mounted along with the rudder then the Black stripe indicating where the waterline should ideally sit will be painted next.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much more progress.... let it idle and simmer a bit... now its time to start brining it back to the boil.

The various Launches receive their painting,

P1190001.jpg

The fore castle

P1190002.jpg

The decks

P1190004.jpg

P1190005.jpg

the Props,

P1190007.jpg

P1190008.jpg

Working on completing the decks, finishing painting the hull and heading up...

• 4 weeks later...

P2120006.jpg

P2120007.jpg

So far its coming along all the boat decks are complete I am still touching up one side of the hull before I move on and add the black stripe and rafts to the other, right now I am working on the small armourments dotted just below her flight deck and one they are on and secured the flight deck will be anchored down.

• 2 months later...