Kenworth W900

GRIM REAPER

This is a project I have been working on for the past year. I have been having problems with the paint finish, so I stripped it five times. Now, I have a good finish, so I can complete my model, now. First, I'll show you some pics of the beginning, then pics of where I am at right now.

This was my first attempt at the paint job. It turned out blotchy and the paint didn't fully cure right.

012-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

Pic of the engine built up but not painted.

005-6.jpg

Chassis complete, engine painted, installed, and the "plumbing" installed. Radiator is installed as well. Wheels were installed at this time as well.

The wheels are by far the weakest point in the kit. They turned out wobbly and uneven between the two halves.

005-12.jpg

008-8.jpg

065-2.jpg

I'm trying a new method for the fuel tank straps. I used aluminum flashing tape cut to length and size. So far,I have one complete and I am working on the other.

007-11.jpg

Here's my fourth attempt at the paint job. Me being stupid, I used flat black paint thinking I could gloss coat it. Big mistake! So, I stripped it and used a laquer- based gloss black with a Future over coat. Worked like a charm!

004-12.jpg

At this point, the fifth wheel was added along with the mud flaps and the skid plate. I stripped off the chrome on all of the chrome parts and used a paint from Rust- Olium called mettalic finish. Just like chrome, but hides all of the imperfections caused by clean up and de- burring the parts.

003-10.jpg

002-11.jpg

So, now with the new pics taken today. This is where the model stands right now.

060-2.jpg

Can you see my reflection?

057-2.jpg

059-2.jpg

062-2.jpg

So, the interior is installed, the glass is installed, Front bumper painted and installed, the exaust stacks are painted, rear mud flaps painted, body mounted to chassis, and hood mounted. I still have a ways to go, but things are shaping up quite nicely. I should be finished with it probably in a couple of weeks.

As I have a very busy work scedule, I might not update for a few days. Thanks for looking and feedback is most welcome.

RYAN.

Looking good!

I'm glad you managed to sort the paint in the end.

I assume when you say that there is a problem with the wheels is that the tyres don't fit very well. I have found that stuffing the inside of the tyre with tissue paper before fitting them makes them sit on the wheel rim better. I seems to push the sides of the tyre out slightly.