Hobby Boss A7 Corsair 1/48th

-james-

Thanks Matt :) I'll have a proper read in the morning, too tired atm :P

Mike, being fairly new here, is there some sort of inaccuracy war raging on that i'm not aware of? :P

:blink: So... every modeller that thinks that the errors with this kit aren't critically important must be in the pay of the Chinese then... and stupid because they don't agree with you as to how important they are. Just so we're clear.

...and they're not allowed to buy or build anything that you see as having serious errors, and they must agree as to the seriousness of the errors. Perhaps you could help them out with a scale of erroneousness - The Valdez scale? Mark things 1-10 depending on your critique, which I assume you'll publish monthly, and have say the Tamiya F-16 at 1, being the paragon of virtue, Mach 2 Valiant at 6 (crap but European), and anything Chinese in origin at 7-10, and therefore unbuildable.

That should soon sort out them goddam commie upstarts! :rolleyes:

Figured your "out of context" - "missing the point" reply was coming; and you in typical form, you didn't disappoint.

In no way did I say or imply "not to Buy", nor say "not to build" the HB A-7s. A "recommendation" is just that. Everyone is free to buy and build what ever model they want. Trying to figure out how you figured I implied that was beyond me???

A major error is just that. Some errors as major as those in the Hobby Boss A-7s are plain as day, whether you or others prefer to downplay the degree. You'd think that in cases like this, the "obvious" would speak for itself, but apparently not for some. Even if others don’t care about the major errors, or choose to downplay them, doesn't mean I think they're stupid for not agreeing with obvious; that's just your misguided spin on this issue.

What's next; claims that the Yugo was a quality car :)

Mike V

• Haha 1

Thankyou everyone for your replies :)

It seems to be completely a matter of personal opinion on to what a huge error is, for example: I once bought an airfix german bomber (cant for the life of me remember what it was) and one half of a wing was as if half of it had just melted away! Now thats a huge error imo :)

If the error is that strikingly obvious I will scratchbuild a new intake section and put a fod cover over it :) Speaking of which i've just thought of what I can do today :)

Mike & Mike

I think the issue here is whether someone makes a recommendation based on a kit's accuracy (OK) or whether they say something is completely unbuildable because it's inaccurate (not OK, in my opinion). Not making a judgement over who says what, just sayin'...

I'm as guilty as the next man of this sort of thing (Trumpeter Typhoon anyone?). I will slate that kit's inaccuracies until the Sun goes dark and I will recommend the Revell kit, but I have never and will never say it's "unbuildable" because, quite frankly, it's not. Mike V makes a recommendation and leaves the choice to the modeller, who ultimately is the only person that really matters, whereas the tone of the HS article is very much "it's unbuildable". Regardless of the intent, that's how it reads.

What does grind my gears (as in really pi** me off) is when people condemn perfectly good kits as "unbuildable" when they clearly aren't and who also put arbitrary labels on people such as "serious modeller". I'm not overly fussed about the accuracy of some Hobbyboss kits (eg A-7s, F-105s) because overall they look like what they are and are newer (and easier to find) than the older kits, and to have someone tell me that means I'm not a "serious modeller" is actually rather offensive, especially given the effort I put into my builds.

At the end of the day this is supposed to be a hobby and some people seem to take it far too seriously.

" BTW, Mr. Battistoni didn't recommend the kit to the "Serious Modelers", which would omit the "average" Joe or occasional builder who's just looking to build it no matter what. "

Sorry but , if Mr. Zactoman would think by the same way ... We never would see those marvellous correction sets.

I believe some people here have different interests than just plasticmodelism.

Because if You are an plasticmodeller You want to model the kit.

And if You are, like Me, that AMS guy, You will correct the "wrong" kit to Your high standarts.

I am THE plasticmodeler, NOT Hobbyboss . Tamiya, Monogram or else.

Many guys here are very modelers because they accept the desired subject as the models are : scale models.

I remember an old brasilian song By Nelson Gonçalves " I know that She has Hers imperfections but is with Her that I love and live well.."

Tonka

I remember an old brasilian song By Nelson Gonçalves " I know that She has Hers imperfections but is with Her that I love and live well.."

That may be true, but Brasilian men don't hold much credibility with statements like that, given that so many Brasilian women look like this... :) Merry Christmas!

1224542362.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

" BTW, Mr. Battistoni didn't recommend the kit to the "Serious Modelers", which would omit the "average" Joe or occasional builder who's just looking to build it no matter what. "

Sorry but , if Mr. Zactoman would think by the same way ... We never would see those marvellous correction sets.

I believe some people here have different interests than just plasticmodelism.

Because if You are an plasticmodeller You want to model the kit.

And if You are, like Me, that AMS guy, You will correct the "wrong" kit to Your high standarts.

I am THE plasticmodeler, NOT Hobbyboss . Tamiya, Monogram or else.

Many guys here are very modelers because they accept the desired subject as the models are : scale models.

Tonka

On the contrary; I’ve known Chris for quite a while now and though he may not ever review or justly criticize a kit publically, he sure sees along the same lines Scott and I do; else he wouldn’t be taking advantage of Trumpeter’s major errors and mistakes. So yes, it’s because Trumpeter's and Hobby Boss's major shape errors that Zacto makes those amazing correction sets; which BTW, is not marketed to the average Joe Modeler.

Scott is no minor league modeler himself; having mastered many patterns for major After Market Companies of the past and has even done some work for me. His work is geared towards the serious modelers; the same for most other AM accessories.

It just so happens I’ve corrected many a mistake model manufactures have made in various kits over the years. In order to make those fixes we still need to know they exist and to what degree of error they are. Hence, the reason many modelers do appreciate model kit reviews that are not full of fluff and downplay major shape or detail inaccuracies. Scott was right on par with his review; right down to the recommendation.

I’m a pretty straight forward guy and I understand that scale models are not perfect, but the degree of error Hobby Boss made in their A-7s are simply unacceptable in this day and age of industry. If the HB kit retailed for $15-$20, the major shape inaccuracies might be a little more, but not at its current retail.

There’s nothing wrong with calling out a kit’s major defects, just as there’s nothing wrong with accepting those defects in a kit. A kit is like any other product and after all, aren’t we also consumers in this hobby as well?

Mike V

What's next; claims that the Yugo was a quality car :)

...and that my dear is completely down to the consumer. Getting from A to B very cheaply (when they were available) was their metier. If that suited the driver, then it was a great car. Harrassing and barracking people about it being rubbish just makes you look an bottom.

Maybe as a new year's resolution you should resolve to show some respect for other modellers right to build kits with inaccuracies?

:santa:

...and that my dear is completely down to the consumer. Getting from A to B very cheaply (when they were available) was their metier. If that suited the driver, then it was a great car. Harrassing and barracking people about it being rubbish just makes you look an bottom.

Maybe as a new year's resolution you should resolve to show some respect for other modellers right to build kits with inaccuracies?

I used to drive a yugo 55, it was ok, i also had a FSO..got me from A to B

My mother bought a Yugo in 87 after her Honda was wrecked. She figured she try one out, believing the hype. Her later regretted buying such a lemon; back to Honda for her and she never looked back.

I drove her Yugo a few times and besides being gutlass, it wreaked of poor quality. Between door handles braking, mirrors falling off, main wheel studs shearing despite using proper torque, shock strut mount cracks, and gear shift jamming, it's wasn’t too bad. :puke:

Mike V

• Haha 1

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya

Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya