Vickers Wellington Mk XIV

Fifer54

My second build for this GB is the old Matchbox Wellington. I will be building OOB as a Coastal Command

aircraft of 179 Sqn. This aircraft is known to be responsible for the sinking of U-566 in the North Atlantic,

so I guess it's eligible for the GB....

Here she is...

006.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

Just waiting for the "off!"

Edited by MadNurseGaz

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like it may need a coat, or two, of primer though! ;)

Iain

That's exactly what I was thinking! The lower wing halves are black, and they need to be white!! :deadhorse:

Now that I've got my builds for the Blitzkrieg GB completed, I can make a start on this...

I did intend to build completely OOB, but seeing a complete lack of instrument panel- the

'pit consists of a floor, two seats and a joystick- and noting the "see-through" nature of

the fuselage from nose to cockpit (when building the Mk.XIV variant without a turret)

has prompted the creation of a IP from plastic card, like this (surprised myself at how

effective it looks) purely speculative example..

wimpy005.jpg

and some internal structure, again "speculative" e.g., I can't be bothered with researching

this, it's only to fill a gap and cover the interior of an empty radome....

wimpy006.jpg

Painted inside the fuselage and built up some sub-assemblies...

wimpy003.jpg

wimpy001.jpg

And that's where it's up to so far! The kit is so simple that I think it'll be a fairly quick build,

it's the finishing that will take time, with all that black plastic to turn white!

:coat:

Fuselage is closed up now

003.jpg

stand slot filled and ventral "dustbin" added...

004.jpg

Doing some detail painting to let me build up the undercarriage and engines, then she'll

really be taking shape...

still :deadhorse:

:coat:

looks really good mate. For an oldish kit, it looks pretty good from the outside. I'm looking forward to seeing this one get some warpaint. My U-boat doesn't share my enthusiasm for some reason... :hmmm:

looks really good mate. For an oldish kit, it looks pretty good from the outside. I'm looking forward to seeing this one get some warpaint. My U-boat doesn't share my enthusiasm for some reason... :hmmm:

Thanks very much, Rowan! It's a lovely simple kit that's almost like a Tamigawa "Shake'n'bake". I'm impressed with the fit of the parts, the only filler it's needed (so far)

is on the fuselage underside joint, and that was mainly to fill the stand slot.

The seam on the fuselage top, while visible,doesn't bother me, it seems to be "lost" in the geodetic effect surface texture of the kit. I've got the first coat of the main

white colour on, it's very patchy so I won't post a pic, not until it looks more presentable...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bit of progress!

Upper surface camo applied (Humbrol 224 Matt Dark Slate Grey and Xtracolor X5 RAF Extra Dark

Sea Grey)

BoA1102004.jpg

BoA1102005.jpg

Looks very different from Dark Green/Dark Earth/Night Black! What an attractive colour scheme!