Airfix 1/72 Sea Harrier FA.2

Paul

I have just about given up on my other KUTA entry (Revell Mig 31) and I think its heading for another long spell on top of the wardrobe.

I'd really like to get this finished though before the new year, I've been looking forward to using the Model Alliance decals. Today I fitted the intakes, which went ok with a bit of dry fitting.

FA21.jpg

I'm a bit nervous about the large decal on the top as it partially covers an air intake and completely covers the upper rotating beacon, a touch of Microsol needed I think.

One tip for big decals is use a washing up bowl, and then float the decal on the surface of the water lettin the backing paper fall away.

Then, dunk the model and carefully move it under the decal an slowly bring it up underneath the decal adjusting it still in the water.

Be brave!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
That new Airfix kit looks pretty good, I might need to get one! You've done a great job on it, I hope your build goes much smoother then my ESCI Harrier project did!

Thanks! It's definitely worth picking one of these up, especially for the price.

SHar5.jpg

I've just put on a couple of coats of Klear and now I'm psyching myself up for tomorrows decaling session :banghead:

Disaster! I tried to put the large decal on the top for the decommissioning markings and it fell apart into several peices. I got most of it on, but couldn't fill the gaps with the smaller bits :banghead:

It looks like it'll be in regular 800 NAS markings now, only with the red runners underneath to remind me of what it was supposed to be!

Actually, should I leave them red? What do others think.

Edited by Paul

Disaster! I tried to put the large decal on the top for the decommissioning markings and it fell apart into several peices. I got most of it on, but couldn't fill the gaps with the smaller bits :banghead:

It looks like it'll be in regular 800 NAS markings now, only with the red runners underneath to remind me of what it was supposed to be!

Actually, should I leave them red? What do others think.

i have this kit, but have no intention of using the decals you did, want me to send it you so you can try again?

That would be splendid, thanks. I'll send you a PM. :cheers:

got it ta. nah dont want owt for them, will pack and put in in a envelope as you sent your addy, but have to wait a few days until i can post it...maybe wed if i have some spare cash then.

got it ta. nah dont want owt for them, will pack and put in in a envelope as you sent your addy, but have to wait a few days until i can post it...maybe wed if i have some spare cash then.

Thanks again Jules, you may have saved the day (provided I don't cock it up again!)

Edited by Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys :cheers:

After the decal disaster it was back to the kit decals to do an 800 NAS line bird.

Its going well though, I think the new mold airfix SHars will become one of my favourite kits.

SHar6-1.jpg