Type VIIC U-Boat

Alan P

This vessel more than any typifies the Battle of the Atlantic - the Kriegsmarine workhorse, which accounted for 568 out of the total 1150 U-Boats commissioned during the war.

This Revell kit is simply lovely. Whoever has been producing Revell's ships in the past 5 years is doing a cracking job!

Nice box art:

IMAG0393.jpg

Decent sized kit, hull parts are approx. 18in long

IMAG0394.jpg

The moulded detail on the kit is excellent:

IMAG0396.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

The kit also offers early and "late" options with slightly different tower ducting and optional net-cutters. Unfortunately there is no provision for some of the more substantial flak installations seen from mid-1942 onwards.

This may take me the full five months - my shed is so freezing there's not a chance of being able to do any spraying, and a project this size really needs to be sprayed!

Al

nice, the workhorse!

I know what you're saying about the late tower/flak arrangements. This kit would be even better if they had included those options (or even the triple flak tower variant :analintruder: ). It's part of the reason I went for a Type VIIC/41, but even in that kit I'd love to have a quad 20mm. Still, with your VIIC and my VIIC/41 we've got the allied convoys breaking into a cold sweat.

What colours are you planning to use? I haven't really thought this through and I'm not sure what would look right. I see Lifecolor have a kriegsmarine range that has a sub on the box set, maybe those colours would work?

• 3 weeks later...