Saab Viggen whats out there?

rob

As the title says really, what Saab Viggen kits are available? I'd like to do one in the splinter camo.

preferably in 48th, but has anyone ever done a 32nd one?

If you want 1/48 you have two options: the old esci kit and... the old esci kit reissued by airfix. There's been no other 1/48 Viggen ever. And there's never been any in 1/32.

Mind that there were boxes for both the AJ37 and JA37 versions of the Viggen. The splinter camouflage was mainly used on the AJ attack version (and the recce ones) and only on few JA (this is the fighter version). However Esci did not modfy the fuselage length for the JA (that is longer), so you can still use any box as a starting point for any version.

To trick your 1/48 kit out there is;

Neomega resin cockpit, or 2 seat conversion, http://www.neomega-resin.com/viggen.htm

also from 2 mikes there are; http://www.twomikesresin.com/

48010 Saab Viggen Intake Cover

48019 Saab Viggen Corrected Foreplanes

48020 Saab Viggen Corrected Vertical Stab

There were some nice decals from 2 Bobs but I think they are long OOP

Julien

And keep in mind that the "JA" version is not a JA. It's an AJ in a new box with an inaccurate gun pod for the belly. The AJ has a longer fuselage than the JA.

The 1970s ESCI (now Airfix) kit is LONG over due for replacement. The Viggen is one of the cooler airplanes to come along IMHO, and even though the camouflage is a PITA, I still think it would sell well in the guise of a new technology kit like Hasegawa's Draken family. I don't expect it, but it would be nice.

J

There are also Gator Masks

ipms review

gator mask site

I agree with Jennings. A very cool airplane. Way past time for a new one. 1/32 would be brilliant!

Edit - The TwoMikes parts are very nice. Get them while you can.

There is also Maestro Models

Viggen bits

the engine fan face is a lovely piece of casting.

Can you tell I really like this plane?

Edited by Av8fan

a 1/32 injection moulded kit is in the works now. No idea as the wen it will be released though.

Oh, sure, go straight to the 1/32. Jennings is usually right and I suspect this time is no different. A new-tool, 1/48 Lightning Bolt appears unlikely any time soon.

a 1/32 injection moulded kit is in the works now. No idea as the wen it will be released though.

Ooh! That'll a fairly substantial item once finished. So are Two Mikes branching out into full injection moulded kits or are you privy to someone elses forthcoming release and preparing resin to suit Mike?

Ooh! That'll a fairly substantial item once finished. So are Two Mikes branching out into full injection moulded kits or are you privy to someone elses forthcoming release and preparing resin to suit Mike?

I am helping do some of the research and development of the kit(s) and once done in 1/32 I have been told that they will 99% likely be scaled down to 1/48. Why else do you think I am discontinuing the Viggen bits from the Two Mikes line? :evil_laugh:

The overall best Viggen kit is the Heller 1:72. Maestro Models in Sweden (available from Rebell hobby) make some nice accessories for it. The Heller JA kit still isn't a proper JA as it retains the fuselage length of the AJ/SH/SF/Sk37.

A new 1:32 kit...Trumpeter/Hobbyboss?

Jens

at this point I am not at liberty to say as the project is still early in the development. Once I get the green light I will keep everyone updated.

Cheers

Mike

Please tell them not to mess up the canopy and keep the "divots" away:)

Jens

Mike thanks for the info regarding the upcoming IM 32nd Viggen, I think i'll wait for that one

i'll start looking for research material then, but I really want to do the Splinter camo...

I know you cant really give any firm details, but do you think we'll see it in 2011?

Regards Rob

NB as ever, thanks Guys for your input,. keep it coming

Edited by rob

Just out of curiosity, I decided to add up the price of all aftermarket items that would contribute to making an accurate Attack or JaktViggen in 1:48, and ended up at around £150, not including decals or the kit itself... :gobsmacked: An Sk37 two-seater would look refreshingly different, but would add about £50 to that though...

Jens