1/72 Avro Anson

CliffB

Airfix instrument panel (comprising two parts) vs Flightpath instrument panel (16 parts)

P1070267.jpg

I can see this is going to be a long, slow build.....

particularly if I continue to make two of everything (don't worry :sleeping:, I won't!)

Cliff

P1070256.jpg

Hopefully some of you will appreciate this last photo, even though most of you are probably not that sad!

Cheers

Cliff

Ahhhh - those were the days!! (I probably built this kit not long after it was introduced. I started ''modelling'' (well, throwing Airfix kits together!!) when I was 6 - in 1963.....!!!

Only just catching up with the group build, & your Anson is looking really good so far Cliff, really like the Falcon clear fuselage bit & that instrument panel is very nice!

Keef

Hi Keef

Yes I was six in 1963 too, but I certainly wasn't building kits by then! I do remember though being given a box load of made-up Airfix kits by my Uncle (I think he had out-grown them), at around about that time. The only two I can clearly remember were a Mig 15 and a P-38 Lightning - I remember being frustrated by the fact that they were 'tail-sitters'! Funny the things you remember from your childhood.

Here are some 'before and after' wing photos, following John's advice from earlier in this thread.

P1070258.jpgP1070271.jpg

The fabric effect has been removed from the flying surfaces, the aileron shortened and (although hardly visible in the photo), some of the more significant panel lines have been re-scribed - a task I detest. Underneath, the flaps have been enlarged by re-scribing too.

About 25% of the PE fret is given over to bits which allow you to drop the flaps. Unfortunately they match the original, small flaps provided on the Airfix kit and hence are too small for the enlarged (corrected), configuration. Visually, you would probably get away with it, but as I've yet to see a photo of a parked-up Anson with its flaps dropped, I've decided not to bother. Many of the smaller bits will come in useful for other projects, I'm sure.

Cheers

Cliff

That's a big improvement on the looks of the wings Cliff, something I'll need to do to my Special Hobby (& Classic Airframe ) kits when I get round to them!

My dad started me off in the hobby, he built me an original Airfix Lanc for my sixth birthday - I well remember him faithfully following those fantastic written Airfix instructions of the time, when they used to tell you to paint as much of the kit as possible before assembly. He took that to extremes though, practically painting it all when it was on the sprues. Unfortunately he got some of it wrong. Which is why I had a Lanc hanging from my bedroom ceiling with Black uppersurfaces to the wings, & green/brown camouflaged undersurfaces....!!! :rolleyes::D

Those were the days...!!

Keef

• 1 month later...

Hi Deacon

Unfortunately the Anson has been put back in its box for a few weeks while I work on a Shavrov Sh-2 for a club comp later this month.

Should be restarting it soon - hopefully finished by the GB deadline!

Cheers

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the Anson now and I've just remembered how much there is to do before 24th May!

I should really have got back into finishing off the interior, but as I'm feeling a bit under the weather today (hay-fever), this all seemed a bit too much like hard work. I thought instead that I'd go for some 'instant gratification' and tackle the undercarriage part of the PE fret.

The undercarriage section of the fret provides eight discs for detailing the main wheels, along with a single part for constructing the tailwheel mounting assembly. Easy peasy and just what I needed to get me going again.

P1070398.jpg

Cliff

Pretty much finished all the components for the cockpit today (God bless the Royal Family).

Highlights are the radio operator's station and the navigator's table.

P1070403.jpg

Between them, the radio sets are made up of 17 minisicule parts (although mine's missing three knobs), while the navigator's dividers and parallel ruler are little gems. The PE fret also has protractor, but unfortunately this too went the way the errant radio knobs while I was trying to de-burr it. It would be easy enough to replace from card, but I think the table is looking busy enough as it is.

I've added a map of the Pembrokeshire coast, which is scanned/reduced from an old road atlas. If you look very closely you might still just make out the locations of the Little Chefs...

Cliff

Thanks Vulvanicity and Keef

I'm pleased with the way the interior has turned out, although I know that others on this forum have achieved far more detailed Anson interiors simply using plastic rod and scraps! :worthy:

Here's the latest view - the Falcon canopy has been glued into place without too many smudges (there are a couple of small ones on the other side ;) ).

P1070413.jpg

The general fit is good, but there's still quite a lot of fine filling/sanding to do to get the joints as clean as possible. I'd been hoping to use the PE external framing to disguise the lower edge joint but, as I suspected, the parts don't quite fit with the Falcon canopy.

Cheers

Cliff

Here are the engines. The PE fret provides push-rods, an oil pump (I think) and an air inlet grill (for the carbs?).

I bought all the aftermarket bits for this Anson via friend and fellow Britmodeller, Chris Summers (Kits-Kits), who also kindly donated a pair of Aeroclub props to the cause - thanks again Chris. They are a much better shape than the Airfix items.

P1070416.jpg

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

• 2 weeks later...
The bad news is that the clock is ticking :fraidnot:

Cliff

Isn't it just. I fear an epic fail is coming from me on the Fortress. Just lost all interest in it at the moment - mainly the fault of that xtrakit Hunter....

At least yours is coming along Cliff, you have a chance to get it done!

Keef

Just lost all interest in it at the moment - mainly the fault of that xtrakit Hunter....

Keef

Yes Keef, that's been my problem too - I got distracted by my Shavrov for the Soviet/Foreign Service GB.

I was expecting things to be quiet at work by now, but a big new order means long hours and little chance to make up lost time on the Anson - still, it's a nice problem to have, I suppose.

Spending less time on Britmodeller would definitely help too!

Cliff

Thanks for the encouragement Silver Fox. Unfortunately this is a kit that just refuses to be rushed! :bristow:

I've just spent the last hour and half making one of the two PE oil coolers. Each of the eight fins has to be added separately - my hamfisted effort doesn't do the Flightpath fret justice (though inevitably it's still a step up from the kit part).

P1070418-1.jpg

I'll plough on as time permits :sleep_1:

Cheers

Cliff

Oh dear......

This is as far as I've got and as far as I'm going to get by the end of the GB. Life got in the way I'm afraid.

P1070419.jpg

Hopefully it will be finished within then next few weeks - I'll post some pics when it's finally done.

Well done to all of you who did manage to finish on time!

Cheers

Cliff