CA DH Venom FB4 1/48th scale

Hi guys, after lingering in the nearly finished pile for several months, I finally finished this model off last weekend.

The Venom is finished in the kit supplied decals and represents a 28 Sqn kite, based at Kai Tek, Hong Kong around 1952.

As you can see - despite packing the fuselage front (mostly behind the cockpit rear wall as theres no room anywhere else!) with weight - the model still needs a wire strut to prevent tail sitting. I guess next time I'll need to use something denser as weights so I can pack more mass into the same space.

Model is brush painted with a mix of Pollyscale/ Xtracrylix/vallejo with details in the usual hodge podge of vallejo/citadel/tamiya.

Hope you like it - as soon as the sea venom is released its on the 'to-do' pile.

regards

Jon KT

ven1.jpg

ven3.jpg

ven2.jpg

Very nice result with the Venom Jon, looks great!

I had the same problem with a 1/72 Vampire that insisted on being a tail sitter, regardless of what I crammed into the tiny space in the nose... the end result was that I made some wheel chocks and glued them to the main wheels, that stopped it rocking backwards and didn't need anything under the tail.

8288ab8d.jpg

Karl.

Nice, very nice. How was the build, John, did it give you a hard time ?? - I'm thinking sometime next year to do one of the export Venoms'....

Ian

Hi Ian - thanks for the compliment. Construction is actually very straightforward. The resin all fits OK - even the tricky nose wheel/cockpit floor/gun port section.

The only down side is that the twin booms need to be lined up carefully to prevent them splaying outwards, or the rudders from canting outwards ( in retrospect I think the tailplane is a fraction too wide and this doesnt help!).

I used some pieces of sprue to extend the joining area of the booms to the wing stubs - which at least gave far more purchase - I would recommend doing this on your model too.

The nose wheel weighting problem will be a lot easier to overcome in the 2 seater Sea venoms of course, but Karls idea below for the wheel chocks is a genius way to solve the tail sitting problem - I will have to do the same for mine i think.

Overall I'd say the CA Venom is about 50% better than their Vampire, which wasn't too bad either build wise

regards

Jon KT

Very nice result with the Venom Jon, looks great!

I had the same problem with a 1/72 Vampire that insisted on being a tail sitter, regardless of what I crammed into the tiny space in the nose... the end result was that I made some wheel chocks and glued them to the main wheels, that stopped it rocking backwards and didn't need anything under the tail.

Karl.

Karl - thanks very much - and that is a genius idea for the tail sitting problem- if you don't mind a bit of plagiarism - I think I'll do the same for the Venom so I can get rid of that big bit of wire!!

Nice Vampire too - they always look good in overall hi-speed silver IMHO.

Cheers

Jon KT

Well done Jon, very nice.. I've been building my FB1 for ages now - must get her finished off - I managed to get enough weight in my nose - biggest problem I had was with the "No Walk" decals which I totaly screwed up. And yes this kit is a helluva lot better than the CA Vampire!