Hawker Sea Hurricane, 1:72 from Revell

alex

Hello,

I have decided to build the Sea Hurricane in the nice white-over-sky-Scheme used on the "HMS Nairana". It will be built mostly OOB, maybe some deflected rudders, and a Quickboost-prop. Still thinking about correcting the wrong pilot seat position.

Anyone got some good hints about the weathering of the white aircrafts? On most pictures they look quite shiny...

Alex

Edited by alex

• 2 weeks later...

So, I started the quick build... shouldn't take too long, hopefully...

1-oeffnungen.jpg

First thing: open the shell shutes on the underside with a xacto-knife.

2-vorverlegt.jpg

This is how the cockpit section should look like: I added a PS-sheet behind the bulwark, which will push the section forward a little bit. The area around the original borders of the bulwark will be filled with some sheet as well. What do the Hurricane experts think?

3-vorverlegt2.jpg

View from the side.

4-ruder.jpg

Elevators will be shown deflected, I think the whole thing will look more realistic

5-kuehler.jpg

Cooler need some filler where the two halves are put together.

6-interieur.jpg

Interior just got some colouring. Since I will display it with a closed canopy, there is no need to add some extra things and bits.

7-joystick.jpg

Pilots joystick.

Thanks for watching :)

Alex

Off to a clean start there Alex. Can't recall how far forward the cockpit needs to be moved but dare say someone who knows will be able to advise you.

When it comes to weathering white I'd favour using light greys for the most part and keeping any pre-shading to a minimum.

Finished the cockpit. Instrument board was quite quick to do. Painted in black (revell acrylics), and when the paint is dry, I remove the paint over the intruments with a rounded xacto-blade. Since the details are raised, it leaves a nice grey-over-black instrument panel. In the end, I put a bit of gloss varnish to simulate the instrument glasses.

8-cockpit.jpg

9-instrumentenbrett.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

Dryfitting looks good. Some filler needed, but no big deal.

10-dryfitting.jpg

And now the first questions, regarding some colour:

- what is the correct colour of the gear wells, inside of the gear covers, the rims, and the inside of the radiator? Revell says, it's all aluminim (except inside the radiator, where they don't say anyting about). Some other models I've seen have sky-coloured wells. I assume, sea hurricanes had a kind of protective colour...

- The camouflage: I have seen some models without any black stripes, some with two thin black ID-stripes under each wing, and some with a kind of EDSG-stripes on the fuselage. I'd like to have mine with the invasion marks, but is this really correct?

Alex

Can't give any pointers on colours for these I'm afraid Alex (way above my pay grade ;)) - but she's coming together beautifully.

Looks a nice kit - streets ahead of the Revell Hurricane I remember building as a youngster...

Iain

@Graham: thanks for the hint with the colour; in this case, I will use Tamiya Alu. I left the chord unchanged, it looks fine to me. Quickboost prop&spinner is already on the workbench. And today, I made my own vacuformed canopy.

Alex

Exhausts have been drilled out. According to the instructions, I should use the round ones, not the fishtail-type. However, The only really good picture of a Nairana-Hurri (Nicki, of course...) had fishtails. So, I will use them, in contradiction to the instructions.

11-auspuff.jpg

Today I airbrushed all the aluminium-coloured parts (gear doors, legs, gearbay, rims) with Tamiya Flat Alu. No pics yet, will follow soon.

Alex

This is how I do the landing light: I took a small piece of wood, diameter some 3-4mm. Then, I sanded the end of it to be approximately parabolic shaped.

Then, I put it in my bench vise. An old packaging blister has been cut to small pieces, heated over a candle, and when the plastic was soft, I pulled it over the stick.

12-scheinwerfer1.jpg

With a scalpel blade, I cut off the last millimeter or so, and that's the reflector of the landing light. When glued in place in the wing, I will paint the inside with Modelmaster Chrome Siver.

13-scheinwerfer2.jpg

Some more questions about the white Sea Hurricanes: Are the wheel doors white or sky? The rest of the underside is sky, so I expect the wheel doors to be the same colour. However, on the Airfix painting guide, It looks they're white... it lets me a bit confused.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

The underside has been painted with humbrol Sky type S. Went quite well, I like humbrol paints.

17-unterseite.jpg

This image shows the difference between the kit prop (one piece) and the Quickboost-replacement. Prop blade have a different shape, and look better.

16-prop.jpg

The landing lights in the wing. I used a round proxxon milling head to make the recession where the reflector will be glued in with CA.

19-scheinw.jpg

Next step is getting some Klear on it, and then the decals should be on next week! :)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are on, and it looks great :)

What do you think, should I leave the white glossy, and what about the panel lines - is a medium grey washing recommended?

20-decals.jpg

21-decals2.jpg

Alex

I'd be tempted to stick to grey wash for the panel lines and apply it with the gloss still in place - I'd suggest acrylics (with a dash of detergent), if you don't like the effect just wipe away with a damp cloth.

Great looking Hurricane Alex.

I built the Airfix one recently and used a Paynes Grey oil wash after a couple of coats of Quick Shine to bring out the panel lines. I then did a bit of weathering for the exhaust and gun soot using Vallejo dark rubber diluted with plenty of water.

Thread here if you want a look

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64985

HTH

Tried a fine washing with dark brown on the underside, and a light brown on the white areas. I like the outcome :) also, lightened up the roundels and anti-glare-panel with white oil colour.

23-washing2.jpg

22-washing1.jpg

Alex

Tried a fine washing with dark brown on the underside, and a light brown on the white areas. I like the outcome :) also, lightened up the roundels and anti-glare-panel with white oil colour.

23-washing2.jpg

22-washing1.jpg

Alex

Looking really nice. If you can be that bothered at this stage, that step in the fuselage spine behind the pilot's seat should actually be white as well: it's just the continuation of the fuselage spine under the cockpit canopy and only stepped because of the thickness of the kit canopy. But still one of the nicest builds of the kit I've seen: well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...