Hawker Henley from Hurricane

RobF

I am fairly sure that Santa is fetching me a 24th scale Airfix Hurricane and I happened to notice a Hawker Henley in a full size classic aircraft mag and it got me thinking

Is it at all possible or even sensible to attempt a conversion or are they nowhere near as similar as a photo might suggest ?

Edited by RobF

Yes, you're right about the article - by Brian Philpott, I think. As far as I can remember, he produced the Henley fuselage by tracing the side view onto plastic card and using that as a template to build it up on, possibly chopping up the kit parts and filling in the gaps with more card, putty, etc. The outer wings, tailplane and maybe the undercarriage would be about the only bits in common with a Hurricane kit.

It is possible to do anything with enough time and skills, and a Hurricane kit does give you a starting point. This would definitely fall into the 'advanced' category. The fuselage will have to be regarded as a scratch build though you could use parts of the Hurricane structure to adapt from a Bryan did. I think if I were trying it in 1/24 I would probably do a completely new fuselage, aero-modelling style, using carbon fibre microstrip stringers over formers cut out of 1/16 aviation birch ply, and for the metal panelled sections I would vac-form or crash-mould from masters carved in hard balsa or bass. However that reflects my background as a builder of flying models.

In 1/48 or 1/72 it would be easier to some up with something convincing using Milliput and card to change the shape of a cut-up fuselage moulded in thickish plastic, like the Airfix I.

Really the drawings are the key. Do you have access o good quality drawings and photographs? I don't have any, If so let's have a look!

As an afterthought, I believe the Henley outer wings are fabric covered so even they will need a fair bit of conversion. In 1/48 or 1/72 you could pick up after-market Hurri conversion wings that would probably do as a starting point, but not in 1/24.

Come to think of it - I have a couple of 'redundant' Revell 1:32 Hurricanes in the loft - accurate plans anyone?

There was also the Hawker Hotspur - development of the Henley with powered gun turret (IIRC to same spec as Defiant).

Iain

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

I don't have any plans and only found a few pictures via Google

I know this would be a massive task but I am still quite tempted

So does anyone know if decent plans are available ?

Thanks for the tips WIP - would i then cover that fuselage skeleton with tissue ?

PM coming your way ross

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies

I don't have any plans and only found a few pictures via Google

I know this would be a massive task but I am still quite tempted

So does anyone know if decent plans are available ?

Thanks for the tips WIP - would i then cover that fuselage skeleton with tissue ?

PM coming your way ross

I've never seen any reliable looking drawings, or would have had a go by now.

Yes, if I were doing that I would tissue-cover it and dope it, or possibly use lightweight heat-sensitive document laminating film (which takes water-based acrylics very nicely).

Drawings, to 1/72, are available from HPC Publishing, under ref. APN0801. These are the original Alan Hall/Aviation News drawings, so accuracy considerations are down to you.

www.hpcpublishing.com

Edgar

It's always claimed that tailplanes are the same, but the drawings all show a larger fin and tailplane on the Henley. The outer wing panels are the same shape, but have different structural skinning

the outer panels used the same jigs as the Hurricane, but only had provision for 1 x 0.303 in each. (Hurricane wings only really varied in the weapon bays anyway) Only the prototype had fabric covered wings. The tailplane is similar, but wider.

The wheels look like Typhoon wheels though. As the Henley was heavier it had a stronger UC (Hawker got a lot of milage out of tried and tested techniques)

The RAF Museum does have some drawings in their archive, I asked them, but have not got around to going up, so there is more.

and this is what they have, looks enough to do a 1/24th one if you have time and like scratchbuilding!

HenleyDrawingsRAFHendon.jpg

If anyone gets there before me, can I have copies please!

Must be synchronity as as i already asked Ross about the Henley when he replied about info on the Fury....

HTH

T