1/700 Bismarck in March 1941 scheme

wkennerley

My built was going to be the Matchbox Bismarck in either the March 1941 or April 1941 scheme - However I have decided to try to acquire a Dragon Bismarck instead (if I can get it cheap enough, ie around a tener!!) I have ordered RB models turned brass barrels for the build. Once I either have the Dragon kit or if I eventually have to go with the Matchbox I will post pics

I could do with some guidance on building ship models though. I built a spruance class John Rogers but I think I made a mistake putting the whole thing together first then painting it - I am guessing I should do the hull and paint it, then the superstructure the aditional details? The spruance was my first ever ship kit and it was built as a practice build to see what I would do wrong (in this case everyhting!!)

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the BoA GB.Every shipmodeller have their own way of going about building a ship model.If you would like to have a butchers at some of the Work-in-progess in the maritime section,it will give you some idea how to go about shipbuilding,BTW Dragon`s Bismarck is good choice.

cheers Phil

Whilst on the subject .

Is it safe to assume that the catapult for the Arado was also painted light gray ? or should I go with a different shade ?

If you click on the plan elevations in that link, you'll see the image in your browser ... which you can click again to zoom in. I'm not a ship modeller, but I'd go with light grey

Watching with interest. No doubt about it, those German Naval architects knew how to make a ship look right too, from the Bismarcks, thru the Scharnhorsts to the Hippers, sheer naval poetry. Pity about the politics with spawned them. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

As a Glaswegian I feel that I must warn you that building ships under the influence of alcohol is quite dangerous and can lead to your shipyards being shut down...

Good work, as for painting, my advice would be to work from the bottom up, that's my personal way of doing it...

As a Glaswegian I feel that I must warn you that building ships under the influence of alcohol is quite dangerous and can lead to your shipyards being shut down...

:lol::lol: :lol: yeah, but we mightn't have had Billy Connolly if they'd all stayed sober.

Steve.

Bit of progress - Mian superstructure together. Just gotta figure what order to paint things. If I can build up the courge I may try a seascape too

I was taught for ship painting -- bottom up, inside out ....

Thanks for the painting tips - As soon as my paint arrives I will start spraying. Till then just making up litle bits like guns, small parts fo superstructure etc. I probably have paints to cover the arado so will try do that tonight

Wayne

Right so at last I am adding colour to the model. Started spraying the hull, just gotta wait for it to dry now before masking for the hull red. Sprayed superstructure, small boats, and Arado is done though i see it needs some touching up.

Update - Managed to spray hull red too tonight, pics will follow later in the week

DSCF1500.jpg

DSCF1502.jpg

DSCF1506.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...