1:72 Type VIIC U-Boat

BiG thanks to the mods for allowing me to include here - she's at about 80% built but as she fits well with the theme I'll post the remaining build here (she's not technically part of the GB).

Previous thread here

Need to dig her out and remove the dust - but this is where we are so far:

156ju52142.JPG

156ju52143.JPG

156ju52144.JPG

156ju52145.JPG

156ju52146.JPG

I will finish her this time!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Looks beautiful! I'll have to take some painting tips from you, seeing as the Type VIIC/41 I'm building is my first U-boat. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished, GB participant or not!

Hi Rowan - my first submarine too!

If the 1:144 one is as good as I'm led to believe you're in for a real treat!

I can highly recommend the WEM Colourcoats - first time using them - and very impressed.

For inspiration I recommend getting/watching a DVD copy of Das Boot.

Iain

Hi Rowan - my first submarine too!

If the 1:144 one is as good as I'm led to believe you're in for a real treat!

I can highly recommend the WEM Colourcoats - first time using them - and very impressed.

For inspiration I recommend getting/watching a DVD copy of Das Boot.

Iain

Will we have to call you "Herr Kerloin"(I think i might have spelt that wrong!)Nice one Iain

Cheers Phil

Looks like I can't embed YouTube vids at present - anyone else had similar probs?

I know that as far as Britain was concerned this was the enemy - and they wrought fear, death and havoc amongst our convoys - but you can't help empathising with the lot of the U-Boat crews after watching this film.

One of the best war films ever IMHO...

:)

Iain

Edited by PHaTNesS
Re-jigged the links for you chap!

Great film, all the more for being non-Hollywood and non-CGI. I would also recommend the book "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner, one of the lucky few active commanders to actually survive the war.

Fiver on Amazon!

EDIT: Duh, just realised it's sold out, but still available from others!

Edited by PHaTNesS

I've seen Das Boot, it's a brilliant piece of film making. That film and Silent Hunter III (with GWX) really got me into subs. I'd love to see revell do a Type IX in 1/144 or...1/72 :P

looking forward to seeing this one finished as ours start to have their keels laid.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - she's been given a wash down in the bath to get rid of all the accumulated dust and this is where we are.

The pics - indoors and with flash - really don't do her justice - I'm really pleased with the construction and paint to date - but really need to cross the finish line - which probably isn't that far away if truth be told.

re2005050.JPG

re2005051.JPG

re2005052.JPG

re2005053.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 2 weeks later...

Today has been a day of fixing everything that's fallen off since I stopped work on her last year.

Handrails restored - even the one that got broken when giving the model a wash in the bath last year - and was the reason for parking the project. It's the one on the side of the conning tower - now restored with some stretched sprue.

re2005079.JPG

Figures have also had an outing - have gone right off the CMK ones - too small - and am trying to make something of Revells 1:72 Kriegsmarine figures. Why, oh why, is polythene/soft bendy plastic used for figures - it's bl**dy awful to work with. 3 Revell figs - one CMK - with leg inserts ;)

re2005077.JPG

In a moment of almost serendipity I spotted the propellers included in the Lion Roar Hood set - they looked about right - and as Hood is waterline...

They looked about the right size from memory - but too small - oh well.

re2005078.JPG

And the gun - ready for detailing and weathering:

re2005080.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)