KINETIC MIRAGE 2000B/D/N

Wolfpack

KINETIC MIRAGE 2000B/D/N in 1/48 SCALE

Having finally got my stickies on this most eagerly awaited of kits, I figured that, with all the harsh comments floating about, a more reasonable review of the bits would be welcome. So, here goes.

Overall

Moulded in a greenish grey plastic, the 190 odd parts are very well done, panel lines being crisp and recessed. There are choices of two Magic AAMs, two types of drop tank, AS-30L missiles and an ATLIS laser pod.

The decals are printed gloss, though the metallic surround of, for example, the formation lights, has been printed silver, something no manufacturer has yet achieved with a Mirage 2000 kit.

Separate ailerons, fins and wingtip RWR receivers, open the choice of versions one can build to at least three variants.

The wing attachment bolts along the fuselage are well represented, something previously only Airfix/Heller got right.

FUSELAGE.jpg

ENGRAVING.jpg

Nice fuselage mouldings.

Compared with the Airfix/Heller kit, it’s a little deeper in the fuselage. I will have to see both models side by side before commenting further.

What may cause problems with some modellers, is the omission of a section to tell you to add the jet pipe. Strange!

Details

Here, of course, is where the devil lies! The first choice to make is in step one, the cockpit. The instrument panels supplied are for a 2000-5. They are not applicable to any other version. Modifications have to be made, or a substitute cockpit can be used, such as the Renaissance D set.

INSTRUMENTS.jpg

Incorrect instrument panels.

In step 2, if modelling a French AF D or N, the hole where F6 fits must be filled and sanded smooth. This night intercept light is not fitted to these models.

Step four would have you position the large maingear doors down. These only open when cycling the undercarriage and in most photos, remain closed. Be nice to see how they fit when compared to the pig of a job Airfix/Heller makes us do. Be aware that if choosing the flaps down option, these are only deflected a few degrees when parked.

Step 9 concerns the nose. Here we have the greatest discrepancy between kits. The kinetic kit has a separate nose for the D variant and this is 44mm long. The corrected Renaissance nose to fit the Airfix/Heller kit is 33mm long. They both mount in approximately the same position, though the Kinetic kit has a panel line missing. There are two within 1mm of each other around the circumference of the nose and if this is added to the kinetic kit would reduce the actual cone length. The strengthening strips would need to be sanded back 2mm to allow for this.

Without a set of decent plans, I will not bet the ranch on which is correct. Suffice it to say that Renaissance may have had more chances to measure an actual aircraft, being French and all. I suppose the only way to see would be to build both kits and see which resulting model is more pleasing to the eye. Still, it’s only a hobby!

Step 10 and 11 gives you a choice of fins for each variant. The eagle eyed among you may also notice the jetpipe has magically appeared. If building a French B, use part C35. This part is labelled C33 on the instructions and is actually part C35 on the sprue. For the D variant, use part E20, but remove the lower RWR pen nib from the fin leading edge. For the N variant, use part C35.

FINALTERNATES.jpg

Fin choices.

Now it gets complicated. For a Greek B, use part E16 without modification. Part E20 can be used for a 2000-5 of the Taiwanese AF but remove the rear pen nib RWR receiver and the upper leading edge pen nib for a French 2000-5.

It’s not very clear in the instructions because of the angle they are drawn at, as to which spine end parts to use. So, for a B, use E27 and 28, for a D, use parts E25 and 26 and parts E23 and 24 for an N. For modelling the Mirage 2000-5s of Taiwan, use fin E16 and parts E27 and 28.

As with the above, the wing-tip RWR receivers are different depending on who’s flying what. All the French aircraft, including the 2000-5s in service have part E14 and 15. The Greeks have a more advanced system and you’ll need to fit parts E21 and 22. These will also be needed for the Taiwanese aircraft and Qatari AF machines. Boy, aint we got fun!

Finally, looking at the armament supplied, I think the AS-30L is a first as is the ATLIS pod. However, the French are now using the newer PDLCTS pod, so look out for the timeline here. The Mirage 2000-5 has nine underwing hard points, so a lot of spamming up is possible.

Most Mirages carry the two 2000ltr drop tanks, the centreline one seems to be getting something of a rare beast now. Kinetic has, along with Airfix/Heller, assumed that the tanks have recessed panel lines. Unfortunately, they don’t. Instead of panel lines on the large tanks there are in actual fact, raised welds. I also think that the Kinetic tanks look a little undernourished compared to the Airfix/Heller ones. The Renaissance items put both sets to shame and they have the raised welds to boot!

TANKS.jpg

Comparison of Airfix (top) and Kinetic 2000ltr drop tanks.

For a choice of underwing weaponry, the Paveway series of LGBs can be fitted. The aircraft is now cleared to employ these more commonly used guided weapons. The Greek air force machines are Exocet capable, the only ones as far as I know.

A source of French weapons, is the Revell Rafale kit, this comes with a large assortment. Buyers of the Kinetic F-16 will not be short of a bomb or two either.

Conclusion

Thank you Kinetic! It’s becoming harder and harder to find the Airfix/Heller two seater, even in the Eduard boxing. With this in mind, I’ll give this kit the thumbs up and will probably (he says with fingers crossed) buy another and another and……… :thumbsup:

The instructions are confusing if, like most modellers on here, you want to get it ‘right’ or as right as possible. To the buy it and build it out of the box modeller, he or she probably won’t care. I just hope they sell a boatload and hurry up with a single seater. I’m running out of those for my stash of Syh@rt decals.

ASMP.jpg

This is what you don't get for the N, an ASMP!

I have deliberately ignored the ‘blown’ canopy question. Yes it would have been nice to have one but I can live without it. Airfix never did a blown canopy so the Kinetic kit will not look odd when parked alongside.

Happy Modelling and Seasons Greetings to all.

W

FINALTERNATES.jpg

Fin choices.

W

wow, thanks a lot man, great post.

really appreciate this input.

Definitely getting this kit and I have just bookmarked your post.

One little thingy, in the above photo, the Greek Mirage is a Dash 5 and not a BG. The 500 series serials are Dash 5s, while the 200 series serials are BGs.

Unless of course I am making a huge mistake :S

wow, thanks a lot man, great post.

really appreciate this input.

Definitely getting this kit and I have just bookmarked your post.

One little thingy, in the above photo, the Greek Mirage is a Dash 5 and not a BG. The 500 series serials are Dash 5s, while the 200 series serials are BGs.

Unless of course I am making a huge mistake :S

509 is a Mirage2000-5BG, a twoseat dash 5. Aircraft 201-204 are 2000BG, while 210-246 are singleseat EG.

Hey chaoslord.

No offence taken. :speak_cool: Comments like yours are very welcome. References on this important a/c are very few and far between, so photos are the main source.

The main thing here was to illustrate the fin variations which get very confusing, especially when the 2000-5 is entered into the mix.

It's important to share this sort of info between modellers, so those who want to ammend their models, can do so.

Keep 'em coming peeps and we may end up with THE Mirage 2000 reference thread.

W

KINETIC MIRAGE 2000B/D/N 1/48 SCALE part 2

Having scoured the residence for info and, god forbid, some plans (not SMI) here are some further observations.

I stated above that the fuselage looked a little deep compared to the Airfix/Heller kit but that’s what happens when you get old. It’s spot on with my scale drawings. It is, in actual fact, out on length. The Airfix/Heller kit is spot on lengthwise, the Kinetic kit is 4mm too long.

If memory serves, 1/48 scale equates to 6mm to the foot so that puts it 8 inches too long. I suppose this will only cause a problem if the finished model is parked next to an Airfix/Heller kit. The nosecone Kinetic provide for the B and D variants is right for size, so removing 4mm from the nose may solve this but create other problems.

These would include the now mismatched diameter of the nose and nosecone and lots more re-scribing.

Another option would be to remove 2mm from the rear of the fuselage, reducing the excess to a more manageable 2mm overall. I reckon this would not look so out of place when parked next to an Airfix kit. Luckily, the ribbed detail that surrounds the circumference of the jet pipe is moulded onto the jet pipe itself, the one that magically appears fitted!

The wings are just about spot on, when the tips are added, they may be a mm or two too large, but again, not that noticeable.

Now what about correcting the cockpit?

The B and C instrument panels are basically the same, the correction from the 2000-5 is easily accomplished by using the Eduard Zoom set 128 x 2. This not only gives the correct instrumentation but supplies a set of belts to adorn the bang seats as well as other sundry items.

Things get complicated when it comes to the D and N versions. One could adapt the panel from the earlier variants and replace the right CRT with the section from the etch set and end up with a set of dial instruments. For how they should look I have used the Renaissance instructions, assuming once again, that the French will know more about this sort of thing than us Brits!!!

Of course, you could rob some of the etch from the Eduard kit if you’ve got one.

LACOCKPITS.jpg

There is nothing out there for the Mirage 2000-5 apart from decals for a RoCAF machine. The MICA missiles are in short supply, as far as I know, only Revell and HobbyBoss supply these in their respective Rafale kits.

The last main disappointment is the jet pipe. Yes, two are supplied, one open and one closed. It would have been nice of Kinetic to have concentrated on detailing just one of them, especially the petals.

At the risk of repeating myself, I still say that this is a good kit, not only that, a most welcome one. If you have a stock of various manufacturers Mirages like I do, then the differences and discrepancies are more noticeable. If you’re just starting out on a Mirage collection, this is a great kit for you.

I hope the single seater (if we get one) included the different instrument panels, it’ll save a fortune in etch bits.

W

bungynik

You'll note that the photos showing the C and B cockpits differ very little if at all. As for the D/N, that's why I put the photos of Renaissance's set for the D, shows the differences nicely don't you think?

Matt

Can you find the part on the instruction sheet that deals with the jetpipe?

W

Actually no, there is not a single drawing about exhaust. I pic. 9 they are dealing with front part of the fuselage, and on picture 10, exhaust is already mounted on the model. Those are the parts C15, C16, and C17 and those parts are not mentioned at all in assembly manual. On http://inscale.org/pub/index.php?topic=673.0 you can download full manual in 200dpi.

As for 2000N cockpit, here is the image of the front:

uok1_190_u3t72.jpg

Edited by bungynik

There is nothing out there for the Mirage 2000-5 apart from decals for a RoCAF machine.

Can you tell me where I can get these decals please? I'd really like to build one of these as a RoCAF jet.

Edited by Bobski

There are several errors in the Kinectic instructions, the missing exhaust being one of them. Several other part nos. have been swapped or misprinted. An example is the intakes where Kinetic instructions will make you attach the starboard inner part of the intake (the part with the cone) on the port side of the fuselage and vise versa.

I'm building the kit right now and best thing I can say so far is that the plastic reacts very well with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and the wing tanks go together very well. Other than that the kit is quite a challenge (for me at least)!!!! I am seriously considering placing it on the shelf of the doomed!!.

Bjarne

Edited by Phantom726

Can you tell me where I can get these decals please? I'd really like to build one of these as a RoCAF jet.

Well. if you wait a little, Kinetic have announced release of RoCAF 2000-5 iin first half of 2011. So you will get the RoCAF decals in the box as well.

Well, it is a challenge, but actually all the errors are correctable with a little more effort... or a lot more :).

Tiger Wings Productions released this sheet some tme ago. Don't know if it's still available though.

Other than that the kit is quite a challenge (for me at least)!!!! I am seriously considering placing it on the shelf of the doomed!!.

As the old saying goes, "Endevour to Persevere!" BTW, how about some pickies?

W

friends, check the 6th photo, the french instructor responsible for operational convertion in brazilian 1º GDA (Air Defense Group) based on ANAPOLIS AFB in Goias state.

the french instructors complete the operational convertion of the brazilian pilots here in brazil on december of 2009, this photos was taken in mi october

cheers

hi Antoine,

the brazilian planes that use the grey/green camoflage is used for air stryke and CAS missions...the mirage 2000 today are used on air defense missions and this is the reason to use the standard french camo

cheers