* Fokker F.VII

Killingholme

Hi all,

Anyone following my RWD-14 'Czapla' build might observe that it has created some modelling 'challenges' which might take some effort to resolve, so having finished another (non-groupbuild) aircaft today, I had a look in the stash to see whether I can find anything that might be appropriate to enter in to this groupbuild.

I found a Zvezda (ex-Frog moulding) Fokker F.VIIB/3M in 'Southern Cross' colours. I think with minimal alterations I can depict a 1939 Polish machine. It looks like I can go two ways with this:

Interestingly, it appears that besides those retained in continuous use by the airforce as bombers/training/parachute aircraft, some of the Polish military FVIIs were sold to Polish civil airline 'LOT' in the mid-30s and then when war was imminent, hastily purchased back. These ex-civil machines retained their civil livery (blue+silver) but the markings were painted out and polish 'checkerboards' apparently added. With crude bomb racks fitted they (along with the other military F.VIIs actually saw action. Several were certainly shot down rather than destroyed on the ground.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/t/334/5110/0

Option I) Ex-LOT aircraft:

I think I can build an ex-LOT aircaft with only alterations to the window arrangement in the Zvezda kit's fuselage!

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...fokker_vii.html

Half-way down the page is a photo of a wrecked ex-LOT machine on the ground. The civil serial numbers have clearly been removed from all surfaces, but the damage to the airframe means the Polish military markings are not obvious. I have no reason to think they were any different to other Polish bombers of the period.

I like the ex-LOT aircaft, and I think it would make an usual model.

Option ii) a military version. To build this I would need to know of a source of 3-view drawings for the dedicated (licence built) Polish military F.VIIs? These had a different window arrangement and a dorsal gun mount which appears to slide from port to starboard to gain a line of sight. I need plans to make these mods!

Military F.VII kit (Broplan vacform) builds;

http://www.s-model.lap.pl/_strony/w_tomaszewicz_ang.html

http://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4532&start=0

If not, would anyone comment on accurate colours for a 'LOT' livery. The wing seems to be either ochre colour or possibly varnished wood? If I can answer this question- I'm joining in with one of these very interesting aircaft.

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Incidently,

does anyone know of a source of 1/72 propellors that look like this? http://www.weu1918-1939.pl/lotnictwo/trans...r/fokker_11.jpg

The diameter of the props in the kit, about as large as could be accomodated on the real aorcraft is 36mm, or about 8ft 6in in '1:1' scale

I was thinking aeroclub, but I'm not sure whether they made anything appropriate?

Any ideas?

Hi Will,

I tried to look at the Ex-LOT link, but got distracted by the 'Meet Polish girls here' banner (my shoes do need a good clean)!

Sorry to hear about the Czapla (but understandable), but the Fokker should be good too.

I did a similar conversion to the Zvezda re-pop in 2009 (but to an Italian airliner). Overall quite straightforward, although I chickened out of modifying the wing engine nacelles, so mine are totally inaccurate - it looks like the Southern Cross nacelles are much closer to the Polish ones though :)

The wings are polished wood (I can't remember what species now), but do look very yellow from a distance. There are colour photos of a few preserved examples on the net which I used as the template for mine.

P1070164.jpgP1070165.jpg

Hope this helps a bit, but sorry I've got no suggestions for the props.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Cliff

very nice Cliff, very nice indeed! Thanks for the info on the colour, the effect you've got is very nice. Could I ask how you achieved this effect?

Will

p.s. The Czapla will get finished, I just to need to get hold of some rather thicker plasticard than I keep 'in stock' first!

Will

Hi Will

The wood effect is very easy to achieve, provided you know the secret of the mystical substance they call 'Liquin'. :worthy:

Start by doing an overall yellow base coat. I can't remember exactly what paint I used, but I think it was Vallejo 'Gold Yellow'. Let it dry thoroughly.

Next take some Burnt Sienna oil paint and dilute it on a palette (i.e. bit of old card!), using Windsor & Newton 'Liquin' - I bought mine at The Range.

The Liquin, to quote the bottle, 'improves flow and transparency, smooths brush work'. It allows you to brush the oil paint over the yellow and to keep working it until you get the effect you want (you usually end up leaving surprisingly little oil paint on the surface). The Liquin keeps the oil paint wet for hours, so you can keep fiddling away until you're happy. If it all goes horribly wrong you can just wipe the oil paint off with Turps and start again (my Fokker took two attempts).

The only downside is that it can literally take a few of days for the Liquin-thinned oil paint to dry, so you must resist the temptation to poke it in the meantime .... :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff