Fairey Flycatcher references

Dmitri

seeking some help please.

Ultimately I'm looking for cockpit pics, cutaway drawing, and good pictures and drawings of the A.S. Jaguar IV engine

Yes, I scouted internet already, got some info, but not of acceptable quality. I'm planning to do the model for a contest next October.

Would appreciate any help: a post here, scans in e-mail, photocopy by snail mail

thanks forehand! :bye:

seeking some help please.

Ultimately I'm looking for cockpit pics, cutaway drawing, and good pictures and drawings of the A.S. Jaguar IV engine

Yes, I scouted internet already, got some info, but not of acceptable quality. I'm planning to do the model for a contest next October.

Would appreciate any help: a post here, scans in e-mail, photocopy by snail mail

thanks forehand! :bye:

Let’s see what I have here:

Scale Aviation Modeller May 2002 profile by Richard J. Caruana – many excellent color side views, 1/48 scale plans

Ian Huntley article from Scale Aircraft Modelling January 1988 – excellent details on the finish, stencil etc.

Alfred Granger’s famous 1/72 scale plans published in Wingspan 69

Letectvi+Kosmonautika 10+11/89 – text in Czech, but really nice scale plans

The English magazines can be in my opinion easily obtained via eBay or elsewhere (if you do not have them already), I will scan the Czech article for you if you are interested. Send me PM with your email address.

Patrik

With regards to the Flycatcher at the FAA Museum how accurate a replica is it?

Thanks

It has a Wasp engine for a start and I suspect the panel is totally different, as will many other details.

From my collection. Taken at Sealand c 1930

John

Flycatcher.jpg

Edited by John Aero

• 1 month later...

I guess you know that Falcon do a set of vac canopies that includes a replacement screen for the Flycatcher? Available in stock at Hannants and probably elsewhere too I imagine

also there are Model Alliance decal sheets on aftermarket again available through Hannants and others

John Aero, what are the colors of the fuselage band & numbers ? Is it red with a light blue number outlined in white ? And what color are the wheels, if you happen to know ? Thank you for any information. :speak_cool: Carl T

Sorry I just caught up with this post. Your colours are exactly right in my opinion except the Blue will be roundel Blue as this is another Ortho photo. 405 Flt HMS Furious. Taken at RAF Sealand c1930.

Cheers

John

Can anyone supply me with a clear picture or diagram of the interplane rigging for a Flycatcher. I have 6 of the Inpact/ Lindberg 1/48th scale models ready to work on. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

The Inpact instructions have a rigging diagram and are, IIRC, the only kit (of the Inpact/Pyro/Lindberg/Lifelike chain) that also provide rigging thread. I haven't looked at them in a while, so it is possible they do not show the doubled flying wires.

Edited by JohnRatzenberger

Thank you to both Johns for the information you give,

As to the rigging, John R, since I am going to make up 6 of these particular models, I want them to be exactly correct. This is one of the planes that I very much like as a model. I have seen pictures of models on the internet of models being rigged differently one from another. I have a total of 21 of these Inpact, ect. models ready to assemble,paint, & decal. I have done the drilling for the rigging in all of the other 14 models, but these Flycather models are the worst of them all to do. In over half of the holes where there should be starter holes as guides, there are posts that have to be cut off & new holes done. I have broken about 15 or so #75 drills so far with all of these models, most with these Flycatcher models.

I hate to be so fussy about this, but I feel that there will be a few of the guys on this site who will point out any mistakes I make with any of these particular models. AND RIGHTLY SO. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Principle Flycatcher rigging. Note the front and rear single landing wires go to the front spar only. also wires do not attach to the struts but fittings on the main spar. The camber changing ailerons each have two interconnecting wires and the top of the top wing reflects the lower wing (closed loop).

John

CopyofFlycatcher.jpg

Edited by John Aero

John Aero, I have printed out this page so I can see it clearer under a magnifying glass. Now, looking at your picture & one of S1286, which I copied off from the internet, I have drilled the holes for the double wires that go into the fuselage just above the forward L/G strut in line with the panel line & on the curve of the nose panel. Would you agree that I have done it correctly ? Also as to your picture, Do you know the S number for that plane ? Looking at the interplane N struts I think that they were colored the same as the fuselage band, & that the wheels are too, both inside & outside. Would you think I may be correct ? Looking at the picture of S1286 I see that all 3 of the N struts have some form of individual markings that are not on the plane in your picture. Were there any markings on the top of the upper wings ? I am asking all of these questions so that I might be able to duplicate the scheme on one of my models. To me it is one of the more interesting ones I have seen in picture form. THANK YOU for any help you may be able to give. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

John Aero, After my last post I went to looking closer at the 2 pictures I have mentioned above. On the front flat panel of your plane there is a small pentagon. Is this a squadron marking of sme sort. ? I also notice that the headrest is colored in what I think are the fuselage band colors. Could I be correct in this presumption ? The more I look at your picture the more I would like to see some from a different angle. Carl T

Hi Carl

The pentagon is the badge of HMS Glorious. Aircraft on ships often carried the ship's badge in this form with a crown on top of the inverted pentagon. Squadron markings for the FAA were circular surmounted by a crown with the squadron motto on a scroll underneath.

Christopher

Edited by Christopher

Thanks for that information Christopher. The more I look at & think about the plane in the picture the more questions I have. Was it a squadron or flight commanders plane ? This is suggested to me by the colored struts. Or did the whole squadron/flight have the struts so colored. The same questions arises because of the colored headrest. I do not think John Aero could have picked a more intriguing plane to use as an illustration. I would dearly love to have 3 or more pictures of it from different aspects. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Thanks for that information Christopher. The more I look at & think about the plane in the picture the more questions I have. Was it a squadron or flight commanders plane ? This is suggested to me by the colored struts. Or did the whole squadron/flight have the struts so colored. The same questions arises because of the colored headrest. I do not think John Aero could have picked a more intriguing plane to use as an illustration. I would dearly love to have 3 or more pictures of it from different aspects. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Unfortunately I have no further pics of the Flycatcher. I think that the code 'Might' be S1273 as it was the first of the 405 flight Flycatchers but after this I'm afraid I know no more. It went through the packing depot at Sealand c1930 on it's way to or from the fleet.

John

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, John A. I appreciate it. I am thinking of going with my guesses about the colors for various parts of the plane, & with the S number you suggest. Maybe someone else will come up with more information in time. Thanks for posting the picture in the first place, It has really fascinated me no end. Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool: