A330 MRRT

smeds

I am toying with the idea of building an A330-200 MRRT.

I know I need the Trent engines from Braz models.

I have the Revell A340 -300 "Wiener Philharmoniker" kit.

The Airbus web site shows the lengths given for the -300 to be 208ft 10in - 63.60M.

The -200 is 193ft - 58.80M. So a difference 0f 15ft 10in.

Where would I have to cut the fuselage of my kit to make a -200 ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the A330 MRTT was based on the A330-300 airframe anyway, which is (roughly) the same dimensionally as the A340.

From Wikipedia

"The A330 Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) is a military derivative of the Airbus A330-200 airliner".

Airbus web site

"It was concluded that the maximum takeoff weight had to be at least 190 tonnes (418 900 lb) and the A330-200 with 233 tonnes (514 000 lb) was by far the ideal aircraft to be converted into a Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT)".

THe A330 and A340 have almost identical airframes: the wings for the former even include the pick up points for the outer engines for the A340. The A330-200s and A340-200s each have the same fuselage length, as do the -300s. IIRC one of Revell's A330 kits contained RR Trent engine sets: let's just hope that the Misery of Disarmament have opted for higher spec engines than the ones on the Qantas A380s ( I know it's a diferent sub-type of the engine, but somehow I doubt MoD would put quality before cost).

The A330-200 and the A340-200 are not the same length. The A340-200 is 59.39 metres (194 ft 10 in) long, while the A330-200 is 58.80 metres (192 ft 11 in). If you search the Airbus web site long enough, you can find PDF documents with fuselage station diagrams that show you exactly what frames are different between the various variants.

Also, be aware that the A330-200 has a totally different vertical fin than other 330/340 variants, and that there are two different versions of that - an early one and the later one that's the current production version. Also note that the fairing at the base of the vertical fin on the Revell kits represents a very early version. The current version of that fairing is much larger. And then there's the nose. There's just something not "right" about the shape of the nose on the Revell kits. I've not been able to put my finger on just what it is, but it somehow looks too fat to me (and others).

I'm not on my desktop at the moment, otherwise I could provide you drawings of all these differences. I'm getting ready to head into final exams next week, so I probably won't be able to do it until just before Christmas, but if you still need the info, let me know.

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Hi Everyone,

I am not a modeller, but occasionally browse this site to admire your work in comparison to the efforts of my childhood. However, I do have first-hand professional knowledge of this aircraft and can offer the following information:

The A330 MRTT is derived from the A330-200. This is because the -200 has a centre-wing fuel tank giving 33 tonnes of extra fuel capacity, taking the total to 111 tonnes. The previous comments about -200 dimensions are correct. However, different versions of the MRTT are being built for several customers:

1. The RAAF MRTT is GE CF6 powered and has a refuelling boom, 2 underwing AAR pods and a UAARSI (receptacle) for receiving fuel.

2. The Saudi Air Force has ordered the same version.

3. The UAE Air Force has ordered aircraft as above, but powered by RR Trent engines.

4. The RAF will receive the FSTA version; RR powered, but with no boom or receptacle. Some of the RAF aircraft will have a centreline hose.

In addition, the aircraft is competing for the USAF KC-X progamme. The version being offered has underwing pods, boom, fuselage hose, UAARSI and a main deck cargo door on the left hand side.

I guess that the version with least number external modifications would be a UK FSTA without the centreline hose. The aircraft does have several blisters for defensive aids and camera systems though.

Hope that helps.

Edited by 330tanker