Finnish Bristol Bulldog MK IV 1/48 scale

Nico Teunissen

Some discussion about the Bristol Bulldog MKIV had been going on on this forum recently. These did help encourage me to do a 48 scale Bulldog MKIV Finnish version. I have a goal to build as many as possible "last fighting bipplanes this year, and this Bulldog serves this goal very well (could it be that the Bulldog was to most obsolute fighter in service during WW2 and actually made some scores?). I made some preparations so far. First thing of course is the Bulldog kit itself:

P1020857.JPG

I believe this Lindberg issue is the latest offering of the original Inpact kit which dates back tot the aerly 60'ies, a briliant kit for its time. One is not seeing double, I got two of 'm for reshaping the wings.

I was lucky to find this one for only GBP 3, 50 on Ebay UK a few weeks ago. Reason it was this cheap were missing decals.

P1020858.JPG

And here are the booklets:

P1020856.JPG

Each contains some very nice drawings, but these are all in 72nd scale. I am thinking, by what percentage shloud a copy be increased for turning 'into 48 scale (would that be 72/48 * 100?)

I will do this one as an on line built.

Cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Just my idea!

Cheers, Nico

enlarge 1/72nd to 1/48th = 150%

on this site http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/Finland/finnish.htm

there are a couple of pics of a preserved Finnish Bulldog, one is a rather useful cockpit pic.

Bulldog%20cockpit.jpg

this looks like it has been painted Finnish interior grey, as Finnish planes often were after a major overhaul. The grey is same colour as RAF Medium Sea Grey.

for more on colours, including FS595 matches see here,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...st&p=484646

HTH

T

• 4 weeks later...

Work started a few weeks ago on this project.

Here are the top- and bottom wing placed on the (by now) 48 scale drawing from Crowfard book:

P1020870.JPG

P1020871.JPG

The cutting of the edges of the top wing:

P1020986.JPG

Cutting out the bit of the other top wing:

Römer_003~0.jpg

The added bits:

Römer_002.jpg

Now it looks like this:

For the bottom wing the procedure is a bit more difficult, besides the edges which needs same reshaping as top wings the inner side must be wider and the rest be shorter:

Römer_004.jpg

Had a real messy desk in between:

Römer_005.jpg

Many cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Nice progress Nico, will be watching for your updates now, always like the lines of Bristol's Bulldog. Have found the Alex Crawford books are a great reference source.

(by the way, I cannot see your last few photographs- is it just me?)

No Will, I have a load of red Xs as well :(

Hi Nico.

TRy and get hold of a copy of DATA PLAN No2 by Alfred Granger.

Excellent info and drawings included.

If you have trouble getting hold of a copy, drop me a PM and I'll send you some info.

All the best.

Chris.

Missed pic's :

Römer_001~1.jpg

Do not get it, I drop the link to the album and it seems to get changed, ah well look here then. Same thread, but on a Dutch website (we'ere doing a Winterwar G/B):

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtop...168&t=30313

Cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Well it's absolutely no problem for foreigners to join this forum and especially this groupbuild. Feel free to join the groupbuild (what feel free, I insist :D ), and if you post in English that's absolute no problem.

Cheers, Nico

Very kind of you to offer. All I remember of Dutch is that letters 'ui' are pronounced like the German sound 'au'. The lesson was hard learned: one trip as a 12-year old boy scout I stayed in the 'KruitHuis' in Delft, subsequently got lost in the town and no one knew where I was asking for when I said 'kroothoose' instead of 'Krauthaus'. Anyway, I ended up spending a very happy afternoon sitting in a pancake restaurant near the church. I Wasn't too upset about getting lost (in a pancake restaurant :rolleyes: ) because everyone else was spending an afternoon in the Delft tile museum. When I was finally found everyone was so irritated about looking for me I was taken back to the Kruithuis and ceremoniously thrown in to the Delftse Schie...

happier times...

I'll see what I have in the stash for that groupbuild. I have an AZ Hawker Hart B.4 which I am scared of attempting- having heard bad things about it elsewhere.

Anyway- sorry for the thread hijack.

regards,

Will

Well,

There are worse places to get lost then Delft (you know in a movie Nosferatu did, but that's another story). I also got that Hawker hart B 4 for this groupbuild. Trying to do not too much investigation on it, cause I do not want to go into too much trouble for it.

Cheers, Nico

• 2 weeks later...

Work done so far:

Römer_006~1.jpg

I did not spent too much energy on the interior. Parts with the kit were very basic, but relatively well shaped (especially considering the age of the kit). But a nice pilot helps to make it less obvious.

Römer_007~0.jpg

I give up on the pic's. Again, see 'm here:

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtop...13&start=10

Cheers, Nico

Edited by Nico Teunissen

Well some parts from my spare box actually. The back of a pointy thing's fueltank, a little knob I put in front of it from the same spares box and another smaller pointy thing on top of the wing. Same part on a built Fokker DXXI 48 scale from Special Hobby made a good example.

Many cheers, Nico

• 3 weeks later...