Quick Question - PVA glue

Paul B

I think I'm with Cop. Get hold of some maskol or similar from your LMS if you're using enamels, or Vallejo masking fluid if you're using acrylics. Swing by my house if your need is desperate & you've got no decent LMS... I've got loads of different types you could try. ;)

I wasn't to sure if it would pull the paint off or not (acrylic).

Used it to mask a small motorcycle wind shield but I'll purchase some of the proper stuff for other duties. I was hoping to get away with not going to the LMS, as I'm bound to spend more than I intended to :S

Still need to get a rolling pin & a clay cutter for when I make a go of useing the super sculpy firm I bought... (next big project - making my own figurine)

Liquid latex would be better, since it remains flexible, when dry, and is easy to peel off. PVA (which is a wood glue, will go rock-hard, and, if it gets into any crevices, will be liable to do damage. Try a carpet shop for the latex.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Some one must have put the wrong stuff in my bottle! The stuff in the bottle (Colourfull, PVA adhesive) goes rubbery once its set and is easy to peel away from clean plastic!? Got it originaly to try making windows for a small car I built, but it set rubbery instead of solid :S

Any way. Finished spraying the bike fairing, just waiting for the gloss varnish to dry then I can see if the stuff worked or not :pray:

but it set rubbery instead of solid

Depending on the exact formulation many polymers can exhibit differing physical properties from rigid to extremely flexible. PVC is a good example of this from window frames to flexible sheeting. The chemical composition of the polymer is identical only the formulation of the additives vary. PVA is a similar material and additions of plasticiser can change the physical properties of the material from rigid to very flexible.... I'll get my anorak.

MarkC

• 15 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but ...

Having in the past had variable results masking  AK Xtreme metal, I had a go masking some wheel wells painted in aluminium with PVA (I have a 5 litre bottle of the stuff to hand). I was prepared for it to be a disaster but it worked perfectly. I embedded some paper tabs in the glue to assist with removal, and it came away cleanly, did not remove the paint and left no residue or marks. The masks had been left on for about 3 weeks.

I'm going to try this on my next full paint job as it will be quicker (and cheaper) to apply than Tamiya tape. Of course there is a waiting period while the PVA dries so it's not all positive. I suspect it may not work as well on water based acrylics, but if it turns out only useful for Xtreme metal, I'll be a happy bunny as I have a few natural metal projects on the shelf that I've been hesitant to paint.

Cheers

Colin