Bedford QL

max stafford

Gents, I've just ordered two of these kits as something intended for a railway modelling project. I want to portray the vehicles in mid-1950s condition either as rail loads (QLDs) and perhaps with a pair of QLTs waiting in the station yard for a bunch of bored National Servicemen to come in off a train!

What I'd like to know is whether both variants survived in service by that time and what colours/markings I should use. The layout project is located in the Stirlingshire/Fife area of Scotland, so I imagine markings are going to be for the 52nd (Lowland) Division.

Thanks.

Dave.

Gents, I've just ordered two of these kits as something intended for a railway modelling project. I want to portray the vehicles in mid-1950s condition either as rail loads (QLDs) and perhaps with a pair of QLTs waiting in the station yard for a bunch of bored National Servicemen to come in off a train!

What I'd like to know is whether both variants survived in service by that time and what colours/markings I should use. The layout project is located in the Stirlingshire/Fife area of Scotland, so I imagine markings are going to be for the 52nd (Lowland) Division.

Thanks.

Dave.

The book "Bedford to Berlin - And Beyond: QL - the Forces' Favourite 4x4" is very vague on when QLs went out of service. One snippet is that post-war surviving QLs were renumbered in the series 00YA01 to 99YZ99 and 00ZA01 to 99ZX99. Post-war colour would be Deep Bronze Green, which is available in the White Ensign range. I expect Mike Starmer has provided mixes for it somewhere as well. If they're still going, BW Models may be a good source of 1/76 transfers for post-war formation and arm-of-service signs.

HTH

The book "Bedford to Berlin - And Beyond: QL - the Forces' Favourite 4x4" is very vague on when QLs went out of service. One snippet is that post-war surviving QLs were renumbered in the series 00YA01 to 99YZ99 and 00ZA01 to 99ZX99. Post-war colour would be Deep Bronze Green, which is available in the White Ensign range. I expect Mike Starmer has provided mixes for it somewhere as well. If they're still going, BW Models may be a good source of 1/76 transfers for post-war formation and arm-of-service signs.

HTH

Thanks Seahawk, that's a good start point.

Dave.