British AFV's and Softskins in Iraq

bootneck

I've been trying to find the correct sand colour for British vehicles in Iraq and then to match the colour using Humbrol acrylics.

The problems is that, when I look at the various photos on the web, the colours seem to range from a creamy yellow to a deep sand (I know it is elements like time of day, sun position, reflectiveness etc) so can anyone advise me of the best mix?

I have loads of Humbrol acrylics so I don't really want to go looking for other makes, the nearest hobby shop selling those others is a 55 mile round trip, so any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Mike

Edited by bootneck

Hi Spike,

great photos, and thanks for posting them.

My request though is to identify what is the best colour match using Humbrol acrylics. I am presuming there isn't an actual match, as per an actual pot number, but hopefully someone here will be able to tell me the FS or BS No, or even better how many parts of paint A mixed with how many parts of paint Y etc.

I notice on your images that the landrovers seem to be very light sand but with pink tinges?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I suspect the official colour is still Light Stone, BS 381C 361, which was used in Gulf War 1 and is used on the vehicles based at BATUS and on Salisbury Plain training areas.

Going from memory, the closest Humbrol match is 93, Desert Yellow. I painted a Suez Crisis Centurion Mk. 5 in that colour and I'm fairly certain the colour hasn't changed, HERE. I'll have a check when I'm home later.

Cheers

Chris