This will make your eyes water

Graham

Check out the prices for the Lanc MKII conversions.

Czechmaster

Aircraft conversions (resin)

CMR1164 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Airfix Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £93.99 £79.99

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164

CMR1164A 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Revell Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £93.99 £79.99

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164A

CMR1164B 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Hasegawa Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £89.99 £76.59

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164B

Graham :analintruder:

If you'd ever seen the CMR facilities, you'd see what's behind it. Believe me when I tell you, the two gentlemen who are CMR are *not* getting rich off of it. Costs for everything have gone up and up and up (despite "them" telling us there is no inflation - yeah, right).

I always go back to my old axiom - if you think scale static plastic models are expensive, try RC flying, model trains, or flying *real* airplanes for a hobby. Ours is extremely cheap bang for the buck if you figure the number of hours of enjoyment you get for your hard earned dinero.

J

I have one in front of me and, while I have to agree the price would put it out of some peoples' reach, the eye-watering bit is the quality. It has dozens and dozens of parts, the resin quality is superb, the instructions are comprehensive, the decal options are all interesting (one RAF and 3 RCAF) and it looks like a thoroughly professional job. You can drop the flaps, have your choice of bomb bay types, install the FN-64 turret (and have correct markings for one so fitted). You certainly don't need to buy anything more.

I completely agree with Jennings that you are getting it for a reasonable price considering the amount of work that's gone into it. One of the great things about this hobby is that it caters for all tastes and all size wallets!

Umm yes, you could use an Airfix Halifax, but the engines and cowlings are perhaps the least accurate part of it! To arrive at the same result, you still need to get additional items such as decals, flaps etc.

Edited by Ed Russell

Check out the prices for the Lanc MKII conversions.

Czechmaster

Aircraft conversions (resin)

CMR1164 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Airfix Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £93.99 £79.99

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164

CMR1164A 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Revell Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £93.99 £79.99

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164A

CMR1164B 1:72 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.II conversion set - (designed to be used Hasegawa Lancaster kits) includes decals, etched parts and paint mask £89.99 £76.59

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMR1164B

Graham :analintruder:

What you are looking at is the 'end' price. What needs to be understood is what unit price the manufacturer sells it to the wholesaler/retailer for and what the latter adds on as a 'profit margin'. Sometimes that can be a little over the top for most of us. I have the conversion and it an excellent piece of casting with decals included as well a detailed history. As one of those who was directly involved with this product there has been a lot of time and research gone into it

Ken

Here you are, some pictures. They are a bit raw, please excuse that - taken on the chair in the study, not exactly a photo studio!

Main detail components - engines, cowlings, wheels, flaps etc

P1020225.jpg

Wings and alternate bomb bays (omg - that's the camera cord, not a part!)

P1020226.jpg

Paint notes sheet for 4 aircraft

P1020227.jpg

Instructions

P1020228.jpg

Decals, photoetch and clear parts

P1020229.jpg

You can see it's a pretty comprehensive set. No alternative if you are a serious Lancaster II builder, but I understand the financial considerations.

I'm just glad I never got beyond my schoolkid enthusiasm for railways - I'd be bankrupt now!!!

I have one on my bench right now and it's a peach of a conversion, everything you need and pstuff you didn't realise was on the original.

Just going back to those prices, nope the guys at CMR are not getting rich on the back of this (Jennings is sooo right), if you were at Telford you had the chance to buy one direct from CMR for the princely sum of £54.00....ummm so where is the extra 40% (ish) coming from as the kit crosses the English Channel.....go on then Sherlock?

Simple fact is that yes the Hannants price is big money, but ultimately you'll vote with your wallet, buy one now from Hannants (or another importer) and hide the receipt (I suggest eating it) or hold out for Telford next November and buy one from CMR direct (yes they will be there again, can't guarantee the price as the pound will be as weak as a kitten by then). Then again i'm sure CMR would be happy to sell direct too!

I'm back off to my bench now to drool over some of the best resin moulds I've ever seen!

Cheers

Col'

I glad I didn't think twice about acquiring this conversion at Telford knowing that my Revell Lanc had been consigned to the stash with its lack of dihedral - problem solved, thanks CMR.

The PE sheet wasn't included in the box at Telford but they took my address and it duly arrived.

If I had one complaint it is that the exhaust pipes are shown exiting to the rear rather than forward into the collector ring on the cowling nose. But as these are the only parts the kit requires you to scratch build its a non issue (forward swept will be easier to do than rear sweep anyway)

This has partly answered a point that I was about to bring up.

I noticed from the parts photos that complete wing sections are included for all three models.

But does the surface detail match these kits ie rivets for Airfix, fine engraving for Hasegawa, slightly heavier detail for Revell.

I was going to ask about the dihedral correction on the Revell version -answered- but also the ailerons are not correct on the original(same cord both top and bottom -wrong)

I was tempted with this conversion but neglscted to look closely at the samples at Telford for these points.

I would agree that CMR give pretty good value for money - always well detailed and researched. Pity about the exhausts though!

deecee

I glad I didn't think twice about acquiring this conversion at Telford knowing that my Revell Lanc had been consigned to the stash with its lack of dihedral - problem solved, thanks CMR.

Lack of dihedral? I have on good authority (a former RAF fitter who worked on the BBMF Lanc) that the Revell kit's dihedral is bang on the money.

I saw the conversion at Telford and was impressed with the casting but still found it a bit rich. So I bought a Spitfire F21 instead. Beautiful casting but should have had an alternate rudder for the contraprop version.

I had a look at these at Telford, I'm sure they were selling for £56 at the show and I thought that was expensive ! If this is what they have to sell for to make a profit, then I guess that's what they have to sell them for, I just can't justify buying a set when there's real life stuff to spend money on. The quality is superb though, a BII would look good on the shelf. Trying to explain to the missus that I want to spend that amount of money on 'another' Lanc with different engines would cease another hobby of mine that involves her when the kids aren't around !!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the pics, I've been waiting for sometime to see this set finally released!

Could you comment or even post another picture comparing the resin wing to the original plastic kit's wing? I've found that Revell's wing is somewhat shorter and narrower in chord when compared to the Airfix and Hasegawa kit's wings and I am curious to see how CMR approached this with their set.

Thank you!

Hi

Me for one I will wait...

the comment in this review is interesting

Looking at the few parts that are marked “not for use”, I wouldn’t be surprised if Revell would be planning a radial engined B.II as well.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=ca

cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

I haven't got the Revell Lancaster easily accessible at the moment, but you will notice from the first post that there are actually 3 different CMR kits - one each to convert Airfix, Hasegawa or Revell Lancasters. Mine is for a Revell one and I would think the only real differences between the 3 CMR kits will be the wing planform you describe.

An ealier CMR conversion, the Avro York kit was tailored to different Lancaster kits in the same way.

If I wasn't planning to build a Lancaster Mk II till say, 2017-18, I'd consider waiting for the Revell release - 8-10 years is not unreasonable!

Thanks for posting the pics, I've been waiting for sometime to see this set finally released!

Could you comment or even post another picture comparing the resin wing to the original plastic kit's wing? I've found that Revell's wing is somewhat shorter and narrower in chord when compared to the Airfix and Hasegawa kit's wings and I am curious to see how CMR approached this with their set.

Thank you!

But does the surface detail match these kits ie rivets for Airfix, fine engraving for Hasegawa, slightly heavier detail for Revell.

Pity about the exhausts though!

deecee

The attached picture indicates the Revell Lancaster and the CMR MkII conversion (Revell) have the same level of detail and the same size wing chord.

I haven't seen the others.

I'm not sure what you mean about the exhausts.

P1020287.jpg

Lack of dihedral? I have on good authority (a former RAF fitter who worked on the BBMF Lanc) that the Revell kit's dihedral is bang on the money.

I saw the conversion at Telford and was impressed with the casting but still found it a bit rich. So I bought a Spitfire F21 instead. Beautiful casting but should have had an alternate rudder for the contraprop version.

I've said that for a long time Lee.

The Revell Lanc's dihedral is spot on for an unloaded wing.

Anyhoo,that is one lovely conversion kit,but yes,£90+is rather eye watering.

Mark

I'm not sure what you mean about the exhausts.

Only refering to what Aeronut had to say - post 13.

I know this is an old chestnut and will probably will go on and on, but why would CMR spend a lot of money on correcting the dihedral if it wasn't wrong?

Just 'cos you have a friend ...etc..etc doesn't mean to say he is correct. Until I see factory drawings stating what the dihedral is I shall continue believing Revell have it incorrect.

I also notice that the resin wing has the blisters and access hatches more accurately represented.

deecee

....... spend a lot of money on correcting the dihedral if it wasn't wrong?

deecee

Hi

Probably not the first time someone has seen corecting something not wrong as a way to make a sale/profit....

But in this particular case I have no personal knowledge.

cheers

Jerry

Only refering to what Aeronut had to say - post 13.

I know this is an old chestnut and will probably will go on and on, but why would CMR spend a lot of money on correcting the dihedral if it wasn't wrong?

Just 'cos you have a friend ...etc..etc doesn't mean to say he is correct. Until I see factory drawings stating what the dihedral is I shall continue believing Revell have it incorrect.

I also notice that the resin wing has the blisters and access hatches more accurately represented.

deecee

There is no single 'correct' dihedral for any airframe as large and flexible as a Lancaster, with such a wide range of possible loadings applicable to the wing structure. What you will see on factory drawings is the nominal figure designed into the spars, but in real life that figure is only reflected in the completed airframe when it is under no load whatsoever.

If you take a picture of a Lancaster on the ground with empty tanks, fill it up with 2,154 gallons of AVGAS and take the same picture again, the dihedral will be visibly different, and that's before it even flies. At take-off, whatever the load state, as an aeroplane reaches flying speed and the weight comes on the wings its dihedral will increase again. As the fuel burns off and / or bombs are released the dihedral reduces, and it reduces again when the aircraft lands.

To me and a lot of people, the Revell kit looks to have less dihedral than the Lancasters seen in museums or at air shows, whether on the ground on in the air. (Incidentally you won't see anything like full tanks on any of the three Lancasters that still have fuel put into them, they strictly limit the flying weights to preserve the airframes, increase safety and enable lower power settings.) The Revell kit may well be representative of a fully fuelled aeroplane on the ground, while the Airfix kit may be just as accurate representation of a lightly loaded aeroplane in flight, for example. Personally, if I were building a diorama of a fully loaded wartime aircraft on the ground, crew boarding, that sort of thing, I would be happy to leave the Revell kit alone, but I would modify the wing to model PA474 in one of her display schemes or 'Just Jane' as she is today.