interesting C17 globemaster 3 loads

markjames68

Hi Chaps, just about to embark on the 72nd Anigrand c17(with the necessary mods etc)

Have had a look on tinterweb and found a few pics but was wondering if anyone knew of any really interesting (aircraft) loads that the c17 has carried for a diorama,

dont necessarily need photographic evidence as long as the load was definately carried on one occasion, if therese nothing interesting aircraft wise then any military load is good,

i wanted to do one that was positivly crammed with partly dismantled aircraft but need to know what machines and how much they could actually cram in,

will run a build thread if anyone is interested

regards

mark

Edited by markjames68

Hi Mark,

Dragon do a range of 1/72 armour, US Bradleys, Humvees and British Challenger 2's.

These I would imagine have been carried at some point,

Aslo a 1/72 MH-60 Blackhawk or a few AH-6 little Bird in 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment would be a class option.

Chris.

Are you guys talking about the C-17 or the C17? And the MH-53, or the MH53? We use hyphens in our airplane designations. It's part of the package :)

J

I think it's payback for when you yanks use hyphens for British aircraft, where they aren't part of the package ;)

Mark,

I don't know if you are planning to do a UK or USAF C-17 but the VH-71 pre-production aircraft (AW101's for the Presidential Helicopter programme) were flown by USAF C-17's from Yeovilton to Pax River. The VH-71's were built in Yeovil, test flown and then flown over to Yeovilton for collection by the USAF and onward delivery to NAVAIR / Lockheed Martin.

The UK aircraft have also delivered HC3 Merlins to Afgahistan.

Regards

Dave

• 2 months later...

The most impressive thing I've seen is a Chinook and a Sea King loaded inside a C-17. Obviously on seperate runs, just to make that clear. Then there's the slightly less impressive stuff they normally carry - two wolfhounds, four Land Rovers...we've been seeing Armoured Vehicles from other nationalities on there recently when they're tasked to NATO. Nothing of any particular magnitude though...IMO I think the Pave Low sounds the most impressive thing to stick in there.

Any helicopter it seems but I remember seeing a whole tornado being loaded on...lol fin off, and a bit in pieces, but the main fusealarge was together along with nose, engines etc... now that'd be a cool diorama!

Personally I would do it with a single Union Jack draped coffin being carried down the ramp to a shiny black car as it is an iconic sign of our times which will be remembered for years to come and would also be a nice memorial to what our lads and lasses are doing out in `Afgan' as thery call it! Too many are coming home that way in my personal opinion and I`d re arm the Tornadoes out in theatre with nukes to sort the problem out once and for all!

Sorry if it seems a little morbid but that is what I would do if I was modelling an RAF C-17 diorama...sometimes less is so much more.

Cheers

Tony O

When you finish modifying the C17, I doubt you'll want to build anything else for a long time, so build the load 1st!! :D

My vote would be for the Tornado - but only to illustrate their serviceablity as compared with Harrier... :whistle:

@TonyOT: Cheer up! It will be spring soon! :grouphug: Then you can apply for a job in the diplomatic service!!

(FWIW, I understand where the sentiment comes from - but why bring that into a hobby? This is what you do to get away from real life, eh?)