Soya Icebreaker

Ahoy shipmates!

Am going to try something different for me and join the 'dark side' ;)

I'm normally a modeller of things with wings - but got a bargain at Telford and thought it would make a good intro to shipbuilding. I've had Trumpeters Hood and Nimitz kits in the loft since they were released - so plan is to use this fairly small (but mind-boggingly detailed) ship model to ease me in...

Quick start tonight on the hull (and a test of my Maplin photo-box):

ice002.JPG

ice003.JPG

ice005.JPG

ice007.JPG

ice008.JPG

ice010.JPG

ice011.JPG

ice012.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Nice choice! I'm not that into civilian ships, but I've been thinking of getting this one anyway. Are you going to build it full hull or waterline? It definitly has potential for a nice diorama with the dogsleds and helicopters.

Funny you should ask - yes - waterline as a diorama - too good an opportunity to miss!

The etch even includes picks and shovels - as well as the sleds!

Don't know if she's technically civilian - Japanese Coastguard. Not sure what their status is?

The photo-etch will prolly drive me bonkers though :hypnotised:

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I can't believe how fine some of this detail is on the mouldings - ship models appear to have come a long way since I had a go at the Airfix Tirpitz when I was 8!

Although I've made a start - am still concerned it'll beat me.

Iain

I can't believe how fine some of this detail is on the mouldings - ship models appear to have come a long way since I had a go at the Airfix Tirpitz when I was 8!

Although I've made a start - am still concerned it'll beat me.

Iain

Yes model ships have come a very long way form the days of 1/600 Airifix kits. Don't let the details get you. After all you're the chap who's virtually rebuilding the Trumpy Lightning so this should be a doddle. :thumbsup:

Hey Iain

Not sure if it's a 'walk in the park' or gonna be a 'walking on water' job - but either way, I'd put money on YOU mastering it!

My break from modelling has led to severe withdrawal symptoms, so I've pulled out a little 800th Bismarck kit to do on the dining room table. No PE for that one, though! ;)

Looks like the icebreaker will make a fine dio! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Kev

Awww - thanks chaps - but methinks you have more faith than I do! :analintruder:

Anyhoo - having more of a play this evening - it really is a stunning kit - and the more I see/do - the more stunning it appears!

Really enjoying this one so far - although intimidating to the un-initiated (me) - ships seem to be great fun to build. I may get hooked :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Iain

Always pleased to see a new convert to the dark side!

Have a look at the Fine Waterline SIG website www.finewaterline.com where there are a few models of icebreakers in the gallery section under merchants, also some ideas for making water and a few other things.

Have fun

Mike

Iain

Always pleased to see a new convert to the dark side!

Have a look at the Fine Waterline SIG website www.finewaterline.com where there are a few models of icebreakers in the gallery section under merchants, also some ideas for making water and a few other things.

Have fun

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress tonight - all decks prepped - with relevant holes drilled. Hull cleaned up and ready to have the bottom chopped at the waterline. Oh and a few sub-assemblies like the funnel together and prepped.

Just getting my head around whether I fit the decks before, or after painting?

Thinking neater to paint - then assemble - but worried about damaging with glue and fixing any seams...

And *how* small are ship components????

Won't be posting too many pix as I'm hoping to write up for one of the mags - if they'll have it!

Am blown away at how fast some of you guys build these things - this is definitely going to take some time.

TBH - this is putting me off doing the Hood - sooo much work!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Iain

It's a common question in terms of the best order to build in, but the answer is really that it is down to the individual. I would recommend though assembling all the major components before painting, on the basis that it is easier to paint then touch up compared to paint again after filling and sanding. One of the challenges of ships in particular is planning and it differs a reasonable amount for each ship.

My preferred plan of attack is assemble main parts and superstructure, prime, paint overall colours by airbrush, hand paint the decks, touch up, add small details. Fine as long as you remember to paint the small parts at the same time as the rest!

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This is where we are now - decks dry fitted and the front of the bridge section trimmed and cleaned up - needs the glazings masked - which is a job for being wide awake and chilled.

Before these get attached it's going on the bench sander to be 'water-lined'...

re2005062.JPG

re2005063.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 1 month later...

Sorry,

It's kinda got sidetracked - but is there in the background having bits n' bobs done. Got her on the bench sander the other week so she's now waterlined. Just plucking up courage to mask the bridge windows!

Agreed - most detailed 1:350 penguins I've ever seen! ;)

Iain

• 8 months later...

Ian, Shar 2 directed me to your thread here. I bought the kit last Sunday over at a show in Nashua NH. I am looking for as much information on building it as I can find, & so far your construction pics are the best. Have you done any more on the model ? Carl T :thumbsup::speak_cool:

Another half started project dredged up from the depths of the BM forums! ;)

Not a lot - she has been water-lined since last images - bit busy on other stuff at present - but I will crack on again at some point - it's a beautiful (if somewhat small) model...

Iain

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well - after a long gap - and failed Kuta entry - this is where were at - I've been feeling a tad inspired since completing HMS Fearnaught in the Steam Punk GB :)

re2005517.JPG

re2005518.JPG

re2005519.JPG

re2005525.JPG

re2005526.JPG

re2005527.JPG

The smallest masks I've ever made!!

re2005701.JPG

Black lining on lower hull - done.

re2005702.JPG

A Flory black wash - to be polished off when dry :)

re2005703.JPG

More soon!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)